• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The thickness (or thinness) of bacon

snowangel

Our great state, the one of 10,000 lakes (at least) has more meat markets that make their own sausages and bacon that you can count on the digits of all of my extended family.

But, what is the deal with ultra thick bacon? It is like smoked pork that hasn't been cooked long enough, and then fried. Then there's the average supermarket thin, which crisps too crisp and way too fast.

But, I have hit on two perfect bacons. Hackenmuellers in Robbinsdals will cut to order, unlike a mess of places that only sell cryovaced stuff in what they deem (IMHO, too thick) the proper thickness.

And, then there is McDonald's Meats in Clear Lake (click). They have the thickness perfect. The right amount of fat renders out, you don't feel like you are eating smoked pork that hasn't reached it's prime temp. They are "da bomb" (according to the kids) for breakfasts and for BLT's.

Just this last week, I had the opportunity to sample Fraboni's bacon. It would have won an award with me had it not been so thick.

Now, for me, bacon should be thick enough to stand on it's own, but not TOO thick. There's something to the flavour/thickness ration in my mind. If I want smoked pork, I'll smoke a butt and pull it. If I want bacon, I want bacon. Perhaps I'm alone?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Let's get some measurements! How thick is just right? Too thin? Too thick?

Think just half way between supermarket thick and thin. I just wonder what I should use in a primitive environment to measure the thickness.

Hmmm. Time to put the thinking cap on and photo some thick and just right bacon thicknesses.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I guess I feel it's easier to make bacon thinner, by stretching it with the back of a heavy knife blade or pounding, than it is to make it thicker?

Fraboni's sells slab bacon in the cash & carry store at their plant, and Dave the Butcher, at my now defunct local market, used to slice this to my spec. (I prefer it a just bit thinner than the standard thickness myself)

I suspect Fraboni's would custom slice a 5-10 pound order. (I'll inquire the next time I stop there)

On a related note, I've noticed that most bacon has a meatier and a fatter end. This creates problems when frying since the ends cook at different rates. I deal wirh this by cutting the slices in half and using the meaty end when I want a more substantial slice, (like for a BLT), and the fatty ends, which cook up more like cracklings, if I'm going to crumble the bacon over a salad, or if I'm more interested in saving the rendered fat.

SB :smile::biggrin::laugh: BACON!

PS: Fraboni's is about 7 slices/inch

Edited by srhcb (log)

I just wonder what I should use in a primitive environment to measure the thickness.

If you can stack the bacon slices back together as it was before it was sliced (ie not fanned out like supermarket bacon), you could count the number of slices per inch or centimeter.

Pictures would be great too, as I usually have to judge by eye as the deli guy holds up a slice and says 'is this right?'.