• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Tagine

CalumC

Hullo all.

I'm cooking a lamb tagine tomorrow, but have found out tomorrow is the day planned for my girlfriend and I's new cat.

I can start at 10 a.m. but have to leave at 1 p.m. and back home around 7 p.m. If i wanted to serve at 8 p.m. could i start the process, browning the meat and vegetables, and add the spices and liquid (chicken stock from a carcasse), and leave it in the oven at say 150C for the rest of the day until serving (apart from cooking the couscous close to serving).

Presumably the liquid would reduce over time.

Any ideas welcome.

I leave it in the oven all day at 140F.

SIMPLIFIED LAMB TAGINE

(Slow cooked lamb stew with a sweetish spicy sauce with fruit)

1kg/2.5 lbs diced lamb (a whole shoulder diced) into 2 inch chinks

2 large onions peeled and diced

3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

2 tins chopped tomatoes (or 1llb peeled and diced fresh0

1 Tsp cayenne or hot chili

2tsp black pepper

1 tsp paprika

2tsp cinnamon

2 tsp turmeric

2tsp ground ginger

1 Tsp honey

dried fruit

Flaked almonds

cilantro

brown the mat in a frying pan over high heat. Sprinkle with the spices. Remove to a casserole or tagine. Soften the onions and garlic, Then add to the meat. Deglaze the pan with the tomatoes. add the honey and add to the meat. Add the dried fruit (I use apricots). Leave in a very low oven all day (8 hours+). Before serving adjust sauce for salt etc, and if too runny strain off and boil down. Scatter over chopped cilantro and if liked flaked almonds

serve over cous cous or rice. with a plain salad

Edited by jackal10 (log)