• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick Puff Pastry

cookman

In searching for a good recipe for "quick" puff pastry, I came across Soltner's recipe in his Lutece cookbook, where he recommends using Wondra flour. Wondra is a low-protein, rapidly dissolving (in liquid) flour. I thought you needed some "strength" in the flour used for puff pastry, to support its rise. Anyone have experience using Wondra flour in this sort of application?

I have never heard of this, and would never have thought of trying it, but he apparently was looking for something softer even than cake or pastry flour. I'd probably trust him, and try it. If you do, please let us know what you think. I wonder how it would roll.

www.littlecomptonmornings.blogspot.com

is the recipe like blitz puff pastry, where you basically take pie dough (or pate brise), mix it until it just comes together, then give it a couple of folds just like you would a traditional laminated dough. I am sure you could substitute cake flour for the Wondra; otherwise, your dough will potentially be too expensive.

I can't remember if Wondra is GMO?

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

I seem to remember that Julia Child recommended Wondra for quick puff pastry. I've used AP with success - the technique really does work.

As to its being GMO, I think the product pre-dates such things.