• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doughnut Plant

379 Grand Street, New York, NY 10002

Google Maps link

Mass transit:

M14A bus stops right in front, though a bit of a long ride.

B/D at Grand

We're big fans of Doughnut Plant. I thought I'd start this thread so people can post new flavors and things they like.

Today we had:

peanut butter and blueberry jam

sweet basil

white peach

coconut cream (perennial favorite)

The jam is now made on-site. The sweet basil was really enjoyable. White peach... very subtle. Almost too subtle, I don't think I would have been able to identify the flavor without knowing it in advance. Having said that, it was pleasantly sweet.

The sweet basil doughnut is also available in cake doughnut form.

They also make some damn good churros as well as various agua frescas. Isabella's, the pizza place that Ed Levine wrote so glowingly about, is in the same group of stores (as is Kossar's Bialys).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I adore the Doughnut Plant! When I worked on Wall Street, a friend and I used to make a round-trip cab run up there to get donuts for special occasions. The chocolate donuts are made with Valhrona! These are among the best donuts I've ever had.

Whenever I'm there, which - unfortunately - is rare these days, I always hit Kossar's Bialys and Gus' Pickles which are a couple of doors and and a half-block away, respectively.

I think you can also buy Doughnut Plant donuts at Dean & DeLuca.

A big surprise on a trip to Tokyo earlier this year was the presence of a Doughnut Plant shop in Shinjuku Station. Yes, we bought a couple and yes, they were very like the ones sold here. Speaking of stations, the Oren's coffee stand in Grand Central Terminal (not the one in the food market that sells loose coffee and tea, but the one that sells coffee and pastries to go) also sells Doughnut Plant doughnuts.

I adore the Doughnut Plant!  When I worked on Wall Street, a friend and I used to make a round-trip cab run up there to get donuts for special occasions.  The chocolate donuts are made with Valhrona!  These are among the best donuts I've ever had.

Whenever I'm there, which - unfortunately -  is rare these days, I always hit Kossar's Bialys and Gus' Pickles which are a couple of doors and and a half-block away, respectively.

I think you can also buy Doughnut Plant donuts at Dean & DeLuca.

47915]

Actually, the Pickle Guys are a half-block away, at 49 Essex Street just south of Grand. Gus' is a few blocks away on Orchard St. just south of Broome St.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Oh, side note: for our wedding, we had Doughnut Plant doughnuts in lieu of a cake. We think it worked out better than any cake (note: Little Pie Company does not do custom cakes, at least for the proletariat).

Mark made us an additional heart shaped doughnut. :-D (all together now... awwwwww!) He came out from the kitchen to chat for a few minutes and walked us across the street where we loaded the doughnut boxes into a taxi. Very cool guy, I'm glad he beat Bobby Flay in the doughnut Throwdown.

Doughnut Plant does not franchise in the US, but does have multiple locations in Tokyo. We saw the stand in Shinjuku station but unfortunately didn't have time to sample them.

Actually, the Pickle Guys are a half-block away, at 49 Essex Street just south of Grand.  Gus' is a few blocks away on Orchard St. just south of Broome St.

Hmm, now I'm confused (not atypical :smile:). Back in the '70s, Gus was on Hester, just west of Essex and Hollander was on Essex just south of Grand. Then they merged, the Hester St. closed and the merged business was run out of the Essex St. location. Now you're saying that they've picked up entirely and moved to Orchard St., and someone else has moved into the Essex St. location?

Who's pickles do you like better?

All the more reason to get out of Philly and re-visit the Doughnut Plant. It'd be fun to see what's changed in the neighborhood.

• 6 months later...

Since we live upstate, it's a rare treat for us to stop by Doughnut Plant. Yesterday's flavors were:

Blackberry Jam (wow, best donut I have ever eaten)

Toasted Almond...good

Chocolate (terrific)

Orange (Amazing)

Love this place. It's probably a good thing that we live so far away, lest I die from diabetes, heart disease, and nirvana.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Are these donuts taht much better than Krispy Kreme? I guess i donno why I'm asking since I'm certianly going to find out for myself.

You'll never even mention Krispy Kreme again. There's no comparison, especially if you get the doughnuts when they're hot and fresh. Transcendent.

My only question is: do they deliver to Sloan Kettering? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually, some day I want to go to the aforementioned "pickle palaces" after chemotherapy, and doughnuts seem like a great dessert option!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

My only question is: do they deliver to Sloan Kettering? :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Actually, some day I want to go to the aforementioned "pickle palaces" after chemotherapy, and doughnuts seem like a great dessert option!

Are you referring to illicit substances?

My only question is: do they deliver to Sloan Kettering? :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Are you referring to illicit substances?

Well, are pickles or doughnuts considered illicit?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Are these donuts taht much better than Krispy Kreme? I guess i donno why I'm asking since I'm certianly going to find out for myself.

These donuts have a wonderfully light chewiness to them. They taste like something. KK donuts have no chew, and taste like sugar. Lots and lots of sugar. A krispy kreme, when hot, isn't bad, but doughnut plant donuts are leaps and bounds better. I would take a day old doughnut plant doughnut over a hot KK anyday...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

These donuts have a wonderfully light chewiness to them. They taste like something. KK donuts have no chew, and taste like sugar. Lots and lots of sugar. A krispy kreme, when hot, isn't bad, but doughnut plant donuts are leaps and bounds better. I would take a day old doughnut plant doughnut over a hot KK anyday...

That sounds fabulous, becuase that is exactly how I describe KK donuts in comparison to DD donuts and how I describe H&H bagels compared to normal bagels. I am so excited to make a visit.

Paid a visit to the Donut Plant and have to say I was not let down; but I wasn't surprised either. I haven't had any donut for almost a year now, but from what I remember, the yeast donuts tasted exactly like a KK donut. That is, like a much fresher DD. Obviously KK can't compare with donut plants flavors and jelly, but the donuts weren't good enough for me to make a trip down unless it's a special occasion or to share them with friends who havent' tried them.

Btw; I had a peanut flavored strawberry donut and a triple chocolate cake donut. Next tuesday we're having an office meeting so I might get up early to try them fresh and hot and get a box for my co-workers. Would give another evaluation if said event materializes.

I'll be the lone dissenter and say that these doughnuts really don't do anything for me. I've tried them twice at Dean & Deluca (which I figured wasn't representative since they're probably not very fresh) and then once at the Doughnut Plant. I bought 3, but found them all a bit heavy and greasy. Still, I wouldn't mind trying the PB&J.

Anyone try the Top Pot Doughnuts offered through Starbucks? They are better than Doughnut Plant. (FYI- Top Pot is a Seattle-based company distributing doughnuts selectively through sbux)

Anyone try the Top Pot Doughnuts offered through Starbucks?  They are better than Doughnut Plant.  (FYI- Top Pot is a Seattle-based company distributing doughnuts selectively through sbux)

Top Pot donuts aren't bad. I'm from Seattle so I've had them fresh. I really don't think they're anything too special. That's just me though. There are loads of places in Seattle that make a much much much better donut.

Anyone try the Top Pot Doughnuts offered through Starbucks?  They are better than Doughnut Plant.  (FYI- Top Pot is a Seattle-based company distributing doughnuts selectively through sbux)

Top Pot donuts aren't bad. I'm from Seattle so I've had them fresh. I really don't think they're anything too special. That's just me though. There are loads of places in Seattle that make a much much much better donut.

Top Pot is a cool place in Seattle but the donuts they make aren't anything special. Hard to believe that they would even compare with Donut Plant. Are we talking yeast raised vs yeast raised?

From what I understand Top Pot uses palm oil (at Starbuck's urging) to make their doughnuts, not really one of my favorites for frying.