• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Raphael

CaliPoutine

My Spouse and I will be staying with friends in San Raphael on Sept 11-18th. While I assume we'll be heading into SF most days, I'd like a few recomendations in case we just don't feel like making the trek on any particular day.

Nothing too expensive. We're mostly looking for Italian, Mexican, Chinese( or other Asian cuisines) I'd like to find a good bakery too.

My Spouse and I will be staying with friends in San Raphael on Sept 11-18th.  While I assume we'll be heading into SF most days, I'd like a few recomendations in case we just don't feel like making the trek on any particular day.

Nothing too expensive.  We're mostly looking for Italian, Mexican, Chinese( or other Asian cuisines)  I'd like to find a good bakery too.

I lived in San Rafael for 9 years but it's been nearly 7 (yikes :shock: ) since I moved. So, take this with a grain of salt since things change...

4th St. is kind of the main drag through San RAfael. It's a very walkable street and there are lots of dining options on it in varying price ranges and various types. Larkspur and San Anselmo are very nearby and also have some good dining option.

Be sure to check out Rulli's, located in Larkspur. Gary Rulli trained as a baker in Italy and turns out some outstanding products. Rulli's is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but it sure is worth stopping in for a coffee and a pastry.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the link to the dining page for the Marin IJ the local newspaper. It's a decent food page for a small newspaper and there should be enough links on it for you to at least get an idea of what your dining options might be. Leslie Harlib has been the primary food writer for the IJ for 8 or 9 years. She does a nice job.

When I lived in San Rafael there were actually quite a few good food choices in all prices ranges and genres. I can not imagine that has changed much. I would suspect it has gotten 1) more expensive and 2) has probably improved since I moved away in 2001.

Enjoy your trip, I loved living in San Rafael. It's a really nice little community.

I live about 10 minutes north and I'd say there are a lot of great choices in Marin... I agree that Emporio Rulli is a delicious bakery and is so enjoyable for a morning pastry and espresso.

Some of my current favorites are:

Thai - Royal Thai (San Rafael), arguably one of the best in Marin

Indian - Lotus (San Rafael) (lotusrestaurant.com)

Sushi - Sushi Ran (Sausalito), not cheap, but incredible (sushiran.com)

Mexican - Taqueria San Jose (San Rafael), great bay area-style taqueria

Puerto Rican - Sol Food (San Rafael), crazy green building, great food (solfoodrestaurant.com)

Burgers - In-N-Out Burger (MillValley), the best fast food style burgers, search various threads for reports (innoutburger.com)

Seafood - Fish (Sausalito) (331fish.com)

Steak - Boca (Novato), run by George Morrone of Aqua in SF (bocasteak.com)

Also, be sure to visit the Marin Farmers Market on Sunday, outside of the Saturday one at the SF Ferry Building it is one of the best in the Bay Area... Brioche Bakery from SF sets up here and has incredible pastry too.

Enjoy!

I agree with all of the suggestions the posters have already provided.

One more to consider: Cucina (Italian in nearby San Anselmo with an amazing wine list).

Have fun! You can't go wrong with anyone's suggestions.

• 1 month later...
I live about 10 minutes north and I'd say there are a lot of great choices in Marin... I agree that Emporio Rulli is a delicious bakery and is so enjoyable for a morning pastry and espresso.

Some of my current favorites are:

Thai - Royal Thai (San Rafael), arguably one of the best in Marin

Indian - Lotus (San Rafael) (lotusrestaurant.com)

Sushi - Sushi Ran (Sausalito), not cheap, but incredible (sushiran.com)

Mexican - Taqueria San Jose (San Rafael), great bay area-style taqueria

Puerto Rican - Sol Food (San Rafael), crazy green building, great food (solfoodrestaurant.com)

Burgers - In-N-Out Burger (MillValley), the best fast food style burgers, search various threads for reports (innoutburger.com)

Seafood - Fish (Sausalito) (331fish.com)

Steak - Boca (Novato), run by George Morrone of Aqua in SF (bocasteak.com)

Also, be sure to visit the Marin Farmers Market on Sunday, outside of the Saturday one at the SF Ferry Building it is one of the best in the Bay Area... Brioche Bakery from SF sets up here and has incredible pastry too.

Enjoy!

We ate at Lotus for lunch and it was really good. We went to Cafe Rulli before we caught the ferry and that was fabulous. We're going to the Pizza place mentioned upthread for dinner tonight. Pics when we return to Canada.