• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tulsa Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

THis is a dinner I had at Kokoa Chocolatier here in Tulsa on the 31st of May. Chef/Owner/Chocolatier Stephen Howard has started having a pre fix dinner the last Wednesday of the month at his shop on S. Peoria.

The amuse, which was not listed was a little savory tuile cup (I wish I could find a better word than tuile, because to me that signifies a shape over anything else) filled with an herbed mascarpone and lump crabmeat.

The first course

Forelle pear with tallegio and proscuitto. This was served with a Chateau St Michelle/ Dr Loosen Eroica Riesling. It was a tender individual tart wrapped with the proscuitto. Stephen's crusts are always perfectly tender and this was that way.

second course

Sea Scallop with asparagus, savory tapioca and roasted mango. The scallops were seared with a nice crispy top and a perfect medium, still moist and tender.

third course

Grouper with eggplant and tomatoes served with a Feudi di San Gregorio Fallanghina, Sorbo Serpico. THe eggplant was thinly sliced and wrapped around the grouper and roasted. It was good, but not my favorite dish of the evening. The Grouper was nicely done, still moist and tender. It could of used a touch more seasoning.

fourth course

Thai Basil and Lime Sorbetto with Cantalope Pickles. I loved this course, the sorbetto was tangy and the cantaloupe was still fresh with a salty and peppery bite to it. They really worked well together.

fifth course

Roasted Lamb Loin with white beans, mushrooms, roasted tomatoes and baby artichokes served with a Jade Mountain Syrah. And excellent dish that paired well with the wine. The beans and everything else complimented the lamb although I wish there had been another artichoke or two. personal preference there.

sixth course

fennel and radish salad. a nice way to clean the palate. It was finished with a simple rice wine vinagrette so you had the fennel doing its thing, the crunchy peppery radishs doing their thing.

seventh course

Hot chocolate custard with white truffles served with a King Estate Pinot Gris Vin Glace. By far my favorite, the texture and temperature of the pudding was just beyond expectations. Not too sweet so you could taste the depth of the chocolate, the crust was almost not there, and it had a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.

The finish was coffee and some of his hand dipped truffles.

If you are in Tulsa, I highly recommend that you check out this place and if your here on the last Wed of the month, try to get in for dinner. I don't know of anyone else doing anything like this in town. Stephen is a magician with chocolate. He does not do chocolates like anyone else, they are all hand formed and hand dipped. His ginger cookies are also quite good. I have heard a rumor that he is starting a little pastry shop downtown somewhere. I will post when I get better info.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

joiei.

thanks for starting this thread about an exciting new place down in tulsa! i have a very good buddy down there whom i've been threatening to visit - looks like i have another good reason to do so!

i apologize - i'm not familiar with this restaurant and am confused by the set-up. so kokoa is normally a chocolatier, but is open on the last wednesday of each month for food? :huh: that's an odd set-up. at least from the way your prix-fixe menu reads, it seems that it's far too sophisticated for it to be worth the once a month doing - and a chocolate store? is there dining room? full kitchen? does he employ caterers on the night of to help serve and cook in the back?

re: savory tuile. was it a parmesan crisp shaped into a cup? Like what's sitting under the scallop in this dish, except for in cup form?

re: chocolate custard. what kind of white truffles do you mean? if this were a restaurant (in the usual sense), i would pretty much assume you were talking about the pungent ground spores from italy (which isn't really in season right now any more) - even if it was on a dessert (see here and here for examples). but, since this dinner is at a place named kokao (a play on cocoa i assume?) chocolatier, then i have to pause and wonder if you're not referring to white (chocolate) truffles.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

i'm not familiar with this restaurant and am confused by the set-up
Kokoa Chocolatier is a chocolate speciality shop all the time. They do an assortment of hand formed and hand dipped truffles and limited other sweets and desserts mostly involving chocolate. They have tables if you want to enjoy a sweet treat with some coffee or a latte during the day when they are open. On thur, fri and sat evenings they are open for dessert service and over time he has built up a regular clientel and they are busy. What Stephen has added now is a once a month event for his store. It is a pre fixe in that the menu is set and everyone gets the same thing, barring special diets of course. Just let them know.

It is 8 courses so the portions are smaller (at least for Tulsa). Stephen is trained as a chef with a passion for chocolate. it is odd, but that is the way he wants to do it. He does have a full kitchen because of the production he does. He uses his regular staff for all the service. He does not want to be a full out restaurant, but this way he gets to play beyond sweets some. And he is pretty good at it.

re: savory tuile. was it a parmesan crisp shaped into a cup? Like what's sitting under the scallop in this dish, except for in cup form?

The cookie cup was a thin flour crisp, not a parmesan crisp (and there is a name for the parmesan crisp and it is escaping me right now).

what kind of white truffles do you mean?

Stephen uses white truffles in one of his truffles. they were part of the baked pudding. The puddings had been baked in rings instead of cups which made the presentation nicer. They make a white chocolate truffle which is totally different from this product.

looks like i have another good reason

I guess your just going to have to come down to discover. Tulsa is not as dining advanced as KC but it has slowly changed in the over 5 years that I have been here.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

joiei,

This sounds wonderful - I should've followed you back down for it (esp in light of my fugitive status - NO ONE would look for me in Oklahoma!).

The scallop course made me salivate - I love savory tapioca. And the sorbetto sounds exquisite. I may have to break out the ice cream maker later and play around with that.

We'll have to wander down there one of these days. Although I *do* wish it were a Friday, so we could catch some of Darrell's 'maters later in the summer.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Darrell's 'maters...

A little background for the ignorant, please? Is this another Tulsa treat for me to look forward to?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Darrell's 'maters...

A little background for the ignorant, please? Is this another Tulsa treat for me to look forward to?

u.e.

there is a gentleman, in both senses of the word, here who is our local tomato expert, Darrell Merrell. He grows tomatoes, he has developed new strains of tomatoes, and he grows heirloom garlics. He is quite the personality, lots of fun to talk to. Around here, Darrell is known as the Tomato Man with Garlic Breath. True. And if you have a love of tomatoes and or garlic, by all means, look him up when your here, Give him a call, he will make time for you and show you his garden down on the south side of town.

edited to add a footnote. that piece on Darrell for HGTV was written by Paul James who got his start on Television right here in Tulsa. Just a little useless info.

Edited by joiei (log)

Darrell's 'maters...

u.e.

Darrell Merrell, "the Tomato Man with Garlic Breath." He is a legend to those of us who love both (tomatoes and garlic, I mean).

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 year later...

[Host's Note: Oklahoma used to be located in the Southeast Forums...]

Why is Oklahoma listed in the Southeast Forum? Oh, well...

I'm writing with a (short notice) request for Tulsa dining recs. More specifically, my wife and I will be staying in Sapulpa (did I spell that correctly) for two nights this upcoming weekend, July 27-29. We are there to adopt our new dog. The dog's foster owner (it's a rescue organization) has recommended BBQ and steakhouses. Not that there's anything wrong with lotsa meat, but I'm looking for additional options.

Ethnic finds are great, don't care about atmosphere. We also like neighborhood-type places that are chef-driven. No franchises please, unless there's a locally-operated one that must not be missed. I don't know what Oklahoma's laws are regarding smoking in restaurants, but a place that is entirely smoke free would trump just about any other option.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Why is Oklahoma listed in the Southeast Forum?  Oh, well...

Hey Brad,

Our most vociferous Tulsan has often wondered this same thing but, as his roots are in FL, he doesn't so much mind keeping up with the Southeast.

In any case, joiei, long-time member and frequent poster on The Heartland, lives in Tulsa and I'm sure he will be a fabulous resource to you. You might PM him and call his attention to this, since I'm not sure how regularly he looks at this Forum (unless he's planning a trip home).

Have fun - they DO have a lovely farmers market that you must check out (Cherry St.). I'm sure joiei will give you the full 4-1-1.

Safe travels. And if you need a Dog Mother for the new pooch, I will make you an offer you can't refuse. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

I lived in Tulsa a few years ago, and it's a tough town for dining...

I'd avoid Polo Grill, oft sited as "best fine dining" it left me cold ... Polo Grill

You're are unfortunately going to miss the best middle eastern food, served by the sweetest Pakistani couple aat Halim and Mimi's (Review) but they used to close down from Memorial to Labor day (for their vacation!), and were only open for lunch and a once-a-week early dinner. Great hummus, baba, their signature H & M chicken, gyros and much more. Check, though, maybe they changed their MO and now stay for part or all of the summer.

There's an okay sushi place in Brookside (okay, it's a FANTASTIC sushi place for OK! :biggrin: ) called In the Raw Website It used to be packed, so if it is still so, go early or late.

I used to love Cammerelli's (Italian) on Cherry Street, but hear it's gone downhill.

If you can find Ike's - it's another hole-in-the wall Tulsa tradition serving greasy (but yummy) chili served two-ways, three-ways, four-ways.

Last but not least, The Metro Diner Metro Diner is a kitsch-ey but fun retro route 99 diner with good burgers, breakfast all day, biscuits that are great (be sure to ask for REAL butter, or they'll bring you a marg-substitute..)

I wish I could tell you all about my fav places, but most have gone. I wasn't wild about Tulsa, but resent even more the non-adventurous food nature of what seems to be the majority of residents.

Sapulpa is a bit of a dining desert, although if you're looking for something close and easy, there is a Mexican (more Tex-Mex place) on Taft, some locals think Freddie's is "the bomb" Freddie's - good local food if beef is your game and prime isn't the target.

Hope this helps!

BTW: Cherry Street and Brookside are the areas to troll if you want to wing it.

Disclaimer... I haven't live in Tulsa for 5 years so YMMV.

ETA: Can't type

Edited by Jamie Lee (log)

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Hey Brad,

Our most vociferous Tulsan has often wondered this same thing but, as his roots are in FL, he doesn't so much mind keeping up with the Southeast.

In any case, joiei, long-time member and frequent poster on The Heartland, lives in Tulsa and I'm sure he will be a fabulous resource to you. You might PM him and call his attention to this, since I'm not sure how regularly he looks at this Forum (unless he's planning a trip home).

Have fun - they DO have a lovely farmers market that you must check out (Cherry St.). I'm sure joiei will give you the full 4-1-1.

Safe travels. And if you need a Dog Mother for the new pooch, I will make you an offer you can't refuse. :wink:

Joiei checking in here. As for Oklahoma being listed in the South, as far as I am concerned, if grits are not on every breakfast menu then it isn't the south, it is the Midwest. Of course this will ruffle a few feathers in these parts but I don't care, I grew up in a part of the south that thought Birmingham was just a bit too close to yankee land. Of course Frank Stitt has changed his mind.

We have several places of good quality. The Polo Grill appeals to a certain monied group. I do eat there occasionally, the steak frittes in the bar is worth the money.

Saturday morning, we are having a demo at the market by Teri Fermo. One of our vendors doing breakfast goodies. The market is filled right now with great produce. And I highly recommend a visit.

Now I am really conflicted. How can I be in T-Town rocking with the Flaming Lips and at Bluestem on the same weekend. Natalie, help. email me.

Now, I will be busy friday night and saturday morning, but then I am free. So PM me and lets see what we can work out. Sapulpua is not that far from Sand Springs and Scooters Hamburger Palace. If you want a true Route 66 Salpupa is the place to do it.

Just pm me and lets go from there.

Hey Brad,

Joiei checking in here. As for Oklahoma being listed in the South, as far as I am concerned, if grits are not on every breakfast menu then it isn't the south, it is the Midwest. Of course this will ruffle a few feathers in these parts but I don't care, I grew up in a part of the south that thought Birmingham was just a bit too close to yankee land. Of course Frank Stitt has changed his mind.

We have several places of good quality. The Polo Grill appeals to a certain monied group. I do eat there occasionally, the steak frittes in the bar is worth the money.

Saturday morning, we are having a demo at the market by Teri Fermo. One of our vendors doing breakfast goodies. The market is filled right now with great produce. And I highly recommend a visit.

Now I am really conflicted. How can I be in T-Town rocking with the Flaming Lips and at Bluestem on the same weekend. Natalie, help. email me.

Now, I will be busy friday night and saturday morning, but then I am free. So PM me and lets see what we can work out. Sapulpua is not that far from Sand Springs and Scooters Hamburger Palace. If you want a true Route 66 Salpupa is the place to do it.

Just pm me and lets go from there.

I am now in so much debt to moosnsqrl. But not enough to give her my only jar of sand plum jelly. lets talk.

I lived in Tulsa a few years ago, and it's a tough town for dining...

I'd avoid Polo Grill, oft sited as "best fine dining" it left me cold ... Polo Grill

You're are unfortunately going to miss the best middle eastern food, served by the sweetest Pakistani couple aat Halim and Mimi's (Review) but they used to close down from Memorial to Labor day (for their vacation!), and were only open for lunch and a once-a-week early dinner.  Great hummus, baba, their signature H & M chicken, gyros and much more.  Check, though, maybe they changed their MO and now stay for part or all of the summer.

There's an okay sushi place in Brookside (okay, it's a FANTASTIC sushi place for OK! :biggrin: ) called In the Raw Website  It used to be packed, so if it is still so, go early or late.

I used to love Cammerelli's (Italian) on Cherry Street, but hear it's gone downhill.

If you can find Ike's - it's another hole-in-the wall Tulsa tradition serving greasy (but yummy) chili served two-ways, three-ways, four-ways.

Last but not least, The Metro Diner Metro Diner is a kitsch-ey but fun retro route 99 diner with good burgers, breakfast all day, biscuits that are great (be sure to ask for REAL butter, or they'll bring you a marg-substitute..)

I wish I could tell you all about my fav places, but most have gone.  I wasn't wild about Tulsa, but resent even more the non-adventurous food nature of what seems to be the majority of residents.

Sapulpa is a bit of a dining desert, although if you're looking for something close and easy, there is a Mexican (more Tex-Mex place) on Taft, some locals think Freddie's is "the bomb"  Freddie's - good local food if beef is your game and prime isn't the target.

Hope this helps!

BTW:  Cherry Street and Brookside are the areas to troll if you want to wing it.

Disclaimer... I haven't live in Tulsa for 5 years so YMMV.

ETA: Can't type

Polo Grill, don't bother, but Stonehorse Cafe in the same center, worth the time, plus Chef Tim has several new menu items. If you go there, I will buy.

Halim and Meme's is very good and we now have Helen Of Troy that stays open more than just lunch. Just tell One of my favorite ethnic places, in fact I had the tikka masala for dinner tonight is Desi Wok.

Camerilli's is gone, soon to be replaced by Lucky's, (the same guy who ownes the Atlas Grill downtown) and I sure hope it is better. Just down the street is Tucci's which is better. Doris has the best patio seating in town.

the Metro diner is gone, which is not missed by me. Bad food and Sour help. I much prefer the Blue Dome diner. Way better food for a Route 66 icon than that terrible place out by TU.

In the Raw, not one of my favorite places. I just don't get waiting an hour and a half for a seat at the sushi bar that is run by cute little white boys for sushi that is more about the sauce than it is about the quality of the fish. just my little take on the place. But then I am not native to t-town. And I was spoiled before I got here.

Tulsa may not be a total dining mecca, but things have improved greatly since I moved here 7 years ago.

excuse me, but david letterman and Catherine Zeta Jones are a distracting me.

If you come here not looking for New York or Chicago, then you will find good food prepared with love by chefs who care. But if you are looking for cutting edge then forget it. The locals are well traveled and when they travel they love to cut that edge, but at home, they want to dine on things they know.

I need to stop or start a new thread.

I will send a separate PM. But thanks for the replies. No, I'm not expecting New York, Chicago, or even Minneapolis (sorry). I just know that my wife will tolerate BBQ or steak, but would have a better time with other options. Route 66 icons hold a certain amount of appeal. Also, I believe our lodging has an equipped kitchen, so if I can make the farmers market work, that's a good option.

Off to PM...

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Camerilli's is gone?

Metro Diner is gone?

Wow, what a few years will bring.

Sorry, Joiei, you are obviously well more qualified to answer this question than I. I didn't mean to dismiss Tulsa or the dining scene there.

When I lived there, it seemed everywhere I like got closed... there was a seafood/chowder place in the shopping center near Hillcrest, the Meditterean (sp?) place that closed in Brookside, A good chinese place on 5th Street.

I hope you can offer alternatives to the OP that are better than mine!

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

• 2 weeks later...

My friends and I will be going to the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show and need some recommendations for dinner places.

I'm a Louisiana native living in southeast Texas, so I'm used to Tex-Mex and Cajun cuisine....what sort of food is most popular in OK?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! We're trying to stay under $20 an entree and far, far away from national chains.

Lisa

My friends and I will be going to the Oklahoma State Sugar Art Show and need some recommendations for dinner places.

I'm a Louisiana native living in southeast Texas, so I'm used to Tex-Mex and Cajun cuisine....what sort of food is most popular in OK? 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  We're trying to stay under $20 an entree and far, far away from national chains.

Queenie's for simple and great breakfast lunch

Celebrity Club...only for GREAT fried chicken, asyrian salad + sides do not order steak, lobster whatever just the fried chicken and you may want to call ahead and tell them you are ordering the fried chicken because it takes a bit cause its from scratch...may make for a memorable meal as it resembles a bordello

El Rio Verde...no brainer, authentic great mexican food

Sushi...In The Raw

Brownie's...greasy burger, fries, cole slaw awesome

for a little bit more...Brasserie

have fun

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  We're trying to stay under $20 an entree and far, far away from national chains.

Queenie's for simple and great breakfast lunch

Celebrity Club...only for GREAT fried chicken, asyrian salad + sides do not order steak, lobster whatever just the fried chicken and you may want to call ahead and tell them you are ordering the fried chicken because it takes a bit cause its from scratch...may make for a memorable meal as it resembles a bordello

El Rio Verde...no brainer, authentic great mexican food

Sushi...In The Raw

Brownie's...greasy burger, fries, cole slaw awesome

for a little bit more...Brasserie

have fun

Are you all coming to enter cakes into the competition? If so, good on. It is an amazing event to view.

I just had my weekend breakfast at Rio Verde. It is on North Trenton by the produce supply houses. The best huevos rancheros in town by far. My other Mexican go to is La Hacienda on S Peoria at 46th. The carnitas are the thing to order. An appetizer order is enough to feed 2 for a complete meal.

For breakfast, I prefer the Blue Dome Diner downtown on 2nd street.

A place to think about is White River Fish Market on N Sheridan. This is Jane and Michael Stern's go to place in Tulsa and I agree. It isn't fancy but the quality of the catfish and shrimp is hard to beat in these parts.

For the best bbq (IMHO) is Albert G's on S Harvard, not too far from the fairgrounds. Make sure you at least taste the smoked bologna. A local thing.

For something a little more upscale, A Kitchen and Bar on S Peoria is a nice place to hang. The food is consistently good and interesting. And when you finish dinner, you can walk across the street to Kokoa Chocolatier for some locally made desserts and chocolates (although the strawberry tres leches cake at A Kitchen is delicious) but pick up some truffles for later.

For a neighborhood Italian bistro, Tucci's on Cherry Street can't be beat. And if the heat has broken, they have the best sidewalk seating in town. THe bartender, Doug, is a lot of fun.

I wouldn't try to find Louisiana style food here, I am still searching for a mediocre Po'boy.

People try to claim that Oklahoma is deep south style food, I disagree. If I can't find grits on every breakfast menu, then it isn't southern. The do killer biscuits.

Oh, Brothers Holigan on 15th street for CFS. Very traditional style including overcooked green beans.

PM me before you come and lets meet up.

Oh, I almost forgot, the saturday morning Cherry Street Farmers Market at 15th and Peoria. Runs 7am till 11am. I ususally start here before heading out for breakfast somewhere.

Thanks for the great suggestions!! I knew I could count on eGulleters!

Yes, we're coming to the cake competition although I'm not entering myself, I've only been caking for two years and I need to work on a lot of skills before I'm ready for that!!

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. That smoked bologna sounds very intriguing!

Lisa

I think the free classes this year are not to be missed

From the shows Website

(Free of charge)

CELEBRITY DEMONSTRATIONS WILL BE PRESENTED BY

DR. ROLAND MESNIER MOF SILVER

FORMER WHITE HOUSE PASTRY CHEF & AUTHOR

ROLAND WILL CONDUCT A BOOK SIGNING DURING HIS VISIT.

THE LEGENDARY DR. MESNIER HAS SERVED 5 PRESIDENTS

AND

A NEW DISCOVERY FOR THE USA -- TALENTED CAKE & SUGAR ARTIST

PAM ARCHIBALD (SUSIE-Q, NIDDRIE, VIA MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA).

PAM HAS CREATED MANY UNUSUAL CAKES FOR UPSCALE CLIENTS SUCH AS CHRISTINA AGUILERA

CONSISTENTLY FEATURED IN PREMIER MAGAZINES SUCH AS MODERN WEDDING CAKES & CHOCOLATE.

PAM IS THE FIRST SUGAR ARTIST TO HAVE A CAKE FEATURED ON A POSTAGE STAMP.

A Free pastry class by CHef Roland Mesnier, how good is that!

edited to correct, the class by Pam Archibald has a preenrollment and a fee to attend. My bad, sorry. But the information about Chef Mesnier's demonstrations is correct. Details are on the web site.

Edited by joiei (log)

• 1 month later...

I have been busy this week trying to get caught up with the new restaurants in Tulsa. Lava Noshery is on Peoria where Table Ten used to be. I had an excellent lunch there this week. Lucky's on 15th where Camarelli's used to be. I do not miss Camarellis, Luckys is still working on refining their menu and what they have now is pretty good. The newest place, KEO, on S Peoria in the Center 1 is our first upscale Asian dining experience. I had an excellent dinner here tonight. Thank goodness, I finally have somewhere to go besides PF Changs. The flavors and the ingredients were fresh and well composed.

I also saw a new bbq place to check out. Oklahoma Style BBQ up on N Harvard is on my list.

• 6 years later...

I don't go to Tulsa often and have not been recently but have had good meals at these places:

http://www.luckysrestauranttulsa.com/

http://www.elmersbbqtulsa.com/

Won't get any less pretentious than Elmer's! I always get the ribs and like them. My brother had their signature sandwich and said it was just OK. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

The best two bbq places in the Tulsa area are BurnCo bbq on S Boston at 18th.  There is a line everyday (like Franklin in Austin) and they run out.  Everything is smoked on the 12 Hasty Bake smoker/grills they have in the restaurant.  That line moves pretty quickly so do not let it intimidate you.  The other bbq is Buffalo BBQ in Sperry just north of Tulsa.  Donnie Teel, the owner has won the American Royal, a big deal.  It is a trailer in the parking lot of the Daylight Doughnut shop with two picnic tables out front.  I'll try to get some more recommendations on here for you all.  L