• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chick's Wine Bar

SugarJ

Finally stopped into Chick's for a quick visit with Katie and to sample some Peak Organic beers at Chick's Peak Organic tasting last night. Was also able to nibble on some stellar bacon-wrapped dates, rosemary-scented Tuscan fries and soem grilled skewers of shrimp and chorizo. The Peak beers were decent, especially the Pale Ale and Amber, and I marvel at the delicate balance they perform at Chick's: Katie and fellow beverage pro John have found that amazingly delicate balance between beer , wine and cocktails, and offer all three with unbridled enthusiasm. And they don't skimp on anything; I saw some of the most unusual wines by the glass, beers on tap (and in bottles--holey shamoley!!) of any place in town, no joke. One of the way coolest bars in the city, with fine food to match.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Turned out I didn't have to dine alone after all, but that didn't stop my wife and I from eating at the bar last night anyway :smile: . In addition to a couple of wonderful cocktails, I had the boar, which was a wonderful, mushroomy dish that suited a rainy evening particularly well. My wife, who doesn't even like mushrooms, had the wild mushroom tagliatelle, which she enjoyed as well. Not a terribly impartial review since the company and service were so gracious, but we had good food and a good time nevertheless.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

We stopped by Chick's late last night. It seems every time I go I find a new favorite cocktail. This one is called The Green Demon but if you search for that phrase online you find nothing like what Katie made me. Herbsaint and...

She also made a new favorite for Karen. Something with Ginger Beer. Help, Katie?

I really dig those valdeon-stuffed bacon-wrapped dates, so we got those to snack on. The smoked mussel tart with green apples, frisee and goat cheese was really nice. Nice mix of textures and temperatures. Plus hot melty goat cheese!

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Matt:

Le Demon Vert is usually made with Absinthe (which I'm working on getting, I swear!), fresh lime, gin and falernum. I substituted the Herbsaint because it's what's on hand and still makes a tasty cocktail. Karen had a gin-gin mule made with the fresh batch of ginger beer I'd just brought in.

Love the dates. I tell everyone to get them and everyone loves them. Like meat candy on little skewers.... :smile:

Glad you enjoyed everything! I'm sure I'll see you again soon....

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

From Laban's chat today (4/29/08)

Chick's Wine Bar & Cafe is a great small plate and drinking spot in Bella Vista. Nicely rehabbed taproom with lots of pressed tin. I haven't had a chance to eat through as much of the menu as I'd like, but those bacon wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese are a new addiction - the smoky crisp bacon shell giving way to sweet date, and then, finally, the molten salty cream of blue cheese. That said, Chick's best asset is certainly its bar, which has one of the best-rounded selections of wines by the glass, beers and cocktails in town. Cocktails made with house-brewed ginger beer. An entire selection of craft Italian beers (though they're rather expensive. Still, this one is worth checking out for a grown-up nibble before you go cruising South Street with the youngsters.....

I'll have to agree with all of that!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I keep meaning to post that my husband stopped in two Thursdays ago and had some of Katie's award-winning, bluecoat gin fueled lemonade (it had a catchier name than that, but I've forgotten). It wasn't quite summer outside, but the lemonade made it feel that way.

I should probably just sign my stimulus check over to the bar now and park myself there until fall. It was that good.

Thanks everyone! It's been a good couple of weeks press-wise for Chick's. Aside from being one of the winners at the Bluecoat Bartender Battle at the Loew's hotel on 4/14 (the Front Stoop Lemonade that everyone is enjoying so much was my winning entry), we got a shout out today on Craig Laban's chat and also a mention on Foobooz. We're being reviewed by the Philadelphia Weekly next week and some coverage in Philadelphia Magazine is also on the horizon.

I've been jumping up and down like a Who screaming "We are Here! We are Here!". I guess the Hortons of the local press finally heard me. :biggrin:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks everyone! It's been a good couple of weeks press-wise for Chick's.  Aside from being one of the winners at the Bluecoat Bartender Battle at the Loew's hotel on 4/14 (the Front Stoop Lemonade that everyone is enjoying so much was my winning entry), we got a shout out today on Craig Laban's chat and also a mention on Foobooz.  We're being reviewed by the Philadelphia Weekly next week and some coverage in Philadelphia Magazine is also on the horizon.

I've been jumping up and down like a Who screaming "We are Here! We are Here!".  I guess the Hortons of the local press finally heard me.  :biggrin:

Brava!!! Brava!!! You deserve all the good press! :wub:

Adam Erace in the Weekly likes some of the food at Chick's, but not all of it. He has only good words for Katie Loeb though:

With such uneven food, it’s a good thing Chick’s has a liquor license. Katie Loeb, master bartendrix (her word, not mine) and former moderator of eGullet’s Pennsylvania board, has stockpiled Chick’s bar with obscure cocktailing weapons.

French cassis tames the bite of the tequila-spiked Diablo, while Le Demon Vert gets its fleeting tropical finish from falernum syrup, a tiki bar sweetener infused with vanilla, almond, ginger, clove and lime.

Loeb makes her own mixers, from the ginger beer—the bite in the effervescent Dark & Stormy—to the lemon cordial and Thai basil syrup—both in the luminous gin-based Front Stoop Lemonade, winner of Blue Coat’s drink contest.

Her tipples are so delicious, chugging them for the sake of gettin’ drunk rather than sipping slowly seems awfully uncivilized.

Wine gets just as much attention, with most bottles less than $40, and every wine available by the glass. For beer, expect mostly microbrews on tap, interrupted by mainstay Peroni, a respectful nod to the old men who don’t live here anymore.

Full review here>>

philadining.com

Thanks for the plug and the link. :blush: I am obviously delighted that Adam enjoyed the cocktails so much. I'm not as happy about the food review. I don't think I was there when the reviewer was in, but if I were, I certainly don't remember any bad or indifferent customer complaints lately. Most everyone seems to love the cheese and charcuterie selections, especially if they ask myself or one of the staff to choose for them, and help with wine pairings. :shrug: It's all subjective, I guess.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

That reviewer should get a kick in the pants. He starts off the review with the words: Dark. Dirty??? Then a full paragraph about how it used to be. Not. Nice.

We ate there recenlty and while Katie's expertise and her cocktails are phenomenal, the food was also very good! I remember stealing quite a bit of Jeff's steak....

Harumph to Adam Erace. :wink::shock:

My house made ginger beer got a drive-by mention from Craig Laban today in Market Basket:

Ginger drinks

I have to thank Craig for reminding me about ginger beer and bourbon being a good combination. I think I'll have some of that tonight for my shift drink... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Our next beer event is Monday, May 19th, 2008, 7:30PM

Trappist Cornucopia

A Spiritual Experience

The Trappist beers of Belgium are amongst the most highly regarded and sought-after brews in the world. These wonderfully rich beers from the likes of Rochefort, Westmalle, Achel, Chimay and Orval have inspired a truly devoted following around the world. Come join world-renowned importer and beer connoisseur, Dan Shelton, for a guided tasting tour of select examples from all of the Belgian monastic breweries. We will also delve into the rarely explored topic of monastic wines and liqueurs, with intriguing samples from Monasterio de la Olivia (Spain), Kloster Abtei Mariawald (Germany) and the Heiligenkreuz Monastery (Austria).

An illuminating evening with revelations for even the most well seasoned veterans of Trappist beer drinking is in store. We will enjoy several world classic beers, fascinating wines and liqueurs, as well as frank insights on the history and current realities of brewing behind the abbey walls. An accompanying cheese and snack plate from Chef Jim Piano, a Belgian mussels cooking demonstration by local actor and Chef Adam Gertler, as well as additional (potable) surprises courtesy of bartender Jon Medlinsky, will round out this very special evening.

$65 per person

(price does not include tax or gratuity)

RSVP to 215.625.3700 or Chickscafe@gmail.com

614 S. 7th Street ~ Philadelphia, PA 19147 ~ http://www.chickscafe.com/

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

More great desserts at Chick's:

gallery_23992_5408_75514.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake (With a homemade Brioche instead of the traditional shortcake.)

That brioche is absolutely amazing, making this dessert a real upgrade to the old favorite.

gallery_23992_5408_201955.jpg

gallery_23992_5408_227596.jpg

gallery_23992_5408_93046.jpg

Vanilla and Blood Orange Gelato with Sparkling Italian Orange Juice creates a crazy good creamsicle float.

After a huge meal at Cochon, dessert was the last thing on our minds, but when these mysteriously appeared... we made fast work of them. Both were really delicious!

(Edited to add) I just realized I failed to give credit where credit is due: these desserts were the creation of Pastry chef Kristin Weber. Thanks Kristin!

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

This month's beer event!

Sly Fox Beer Dinner

Inspirations and Interpretations

Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 7PM

Old world charm or new world innovation? Why choose just one when you can enjoy both at the same time! Come join Sly Fox’s GABF award-winning head brewer Brian O’Reilly, faithful beer ambassador Suzanne Woods, and your friends at Chick’s Café for a truly entertaining, educational, and inspiring beer filled evening.

Throughout the evening, we will be offer invigorating examples of Sly Fox’s local, craft-brewed beers, side-by-side with the venerable world classics that originally inspired them. We will explore beer styles such as Belgian Saison, Bavarian Weisse, Northern German Pilsner, Irish Dry Stout, and Belgian Abbey Quadrupel. Chick’s Chef Jim Piano will contribute a similarly inspired four course dinner to help accentuate and complement each of these beers.

Along the way, there will also be a few potable surprises courtesy of bartender Jon Medlinsky, a memorable cooking demonstration provided by Adam Gertler, the hometown hero of TV’s the Next Food Network Star, and also a musical finale performed by local singer-songwriter Iota. Quite a special night indeed! See both sides, drink both sides. Cheers!

$65 per person

(prices do not include tax or gratuity, and all items subject to availability)

RSVP to 215.625.3700 or Chickscafe@gmail.com

614 S. 7th Street ~ Philadelphia, PA 19147 ~ http://www.chickscafe.com/

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Cool, two Chick's shout-outs in a row on Philly Mag's Taste Daily.

Victor Fiorillo digs those bacony cheesey dates

and Joy Manning notes the burgeoning cocktail scene.

Both true: those dates are fiendishly good bar snacks, or appetizers. And we know about the drinks...

philadining.com

• 3 weeks later...

Yet more love for Chick's-- specifically, for Katie's mad bartending skills-- in the current issue of Philadelphia Magazine.

And an excuse for me to point out just how refreshing Katie's blueberry electric lemonade is in the hot weather. It goes down suspiciously easily...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

gallery_7409_6069_13.jpg

Thanks Andrew! I'm pretty pleased with that little mention. I'm hoping some more folks come in to check it out.

The Electric Blueberry Lemonade isn't really on the menu. Just something I made for you. :wub: But I think there's still some blueberry syrup left so I could make more if anyone wanted to try one. I've been selling the Rhuby Daiquiris quite a bit, as well as the Bluecoat based Front Stoop Lemonades. It's summer time, so the drinks have to go down easy...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Brava Katie!!!

Katie: if I can't find limes, is it true that I can't make tiki drinks??

:sad: Afraid so. Almost everything has at least a splash of fresh lime juice in it.

Have you looked into mail order frozen fresh lime juice? There's a company called Orchid Island Juice Company that bottled fresh frozen juices that are excellent quality. Don't know if they ship to Italy, but it might be worth a shot.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Mad props to the Grande Bartendrix! I was finally able to see Katie in action not too long ago at Chick's and she was mixing up a storm, even during Philly Beer Week! I found it fun to watch the reaction on people's faces as they took their first sips of a Katie Kocktail; priceless!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Brava Katie!!!

Katie: if I can't find limes, is it true that I can't make tiki drinks??

:sad: Afraid so. Almost everything has at least a splash of fresh lime juice in it.

Have you looked into mail order frozen fresh lime juice? There's a company called Orchid Island Juice Company that bottled fresh frozen juices that are excellent quality. Don't know if they ship to Italy, but it might be worth a shot.

:wacko::unsure::laugh: That's the emotion range as I think about the Italian postal service delivering fresh frozen juices.

I may not be Beachcomber Don or Dan....but I'll be Umbrian Hathor and figure out something to do with a whole lot of lemons and cheap, nasty gin. The trade-offs we make...... This is why you need to visit Katie. It would be a humanitarian visit!

:wacko:  :unsure:  :laugh: That's the emotion range as I think about the Italian postal service delivering fresh frozen juices.

I may not be Beachcomber Don or Dan....but I'll be Umbrian Hathor and figure out something to do with a whole lot of lemons and cheap, nasty gin. The trade-offs we make......  This is why you need to visit Katie. It would be a humanitarian visit!

:raz:

OK - I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.

If you have lots of gin, lemons/lemon juice and are in Italy, find a bottle of Luxardo Maraschino and start making Aviations!

When life gives you lemons, make a cocktail! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!