• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chick's Wine Bar

SugarJ

...one martini, flogged, not stirred.

:laugh:

Awesome!

And as I told my crew at the bar tonight. Just because it seems that I'm wearing sensible black shoes, doesn't mean that there isn't a pair of lace up stillettos hiding somewhere you all can't see them... :biggrin:

So Holly. When can expect you in to flog your 'tini for you? :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

OOOOHHHHHHH!

Bartendrix!

Sam LOVES QUINCE!

(we don't like manhatten's/bourbon/whiskey/rye/scotch).

What else can we BEG you to make for us with Quince?

Seriously, he makes a heck of a quince tart, maybe we'll have to trade?

Hmmmm.

Quince and brandy something?

Quince and rum something?

Quince vin chaud?

Philly Francophiles

Ummm. Let's see. Last time I took a block of membrillo and melted it over low heat with apple juice concentrate and buzzed it in the blender. I would probably do that exactly the same way again and maybe spice it a little bit as I did with the rhubarb syrup (I'm really diggin' my Penzey's Chinese Five Spice lately) and just keep that behind the bar in a squeeze bottle as I do all my potions and syrups and creations. I could easily make almost anything with it at that point. I think it would be delicious with either rhum agricole, Ten Cane or cachaca if you don't like bourbon. Or perhaps some sort of quince sidecar variant?? I know Sam likes a fine sidecar. :wink: I dunno. I'll wait until it gets cooler out and then start playing with the more autumnal fruits and flavors. I'll keep you all posted. :smile:

Good news via e-mail today. The Food & Wine test kitchen thought the Rhuby Daiquiri was pretty hot. I'm rockin' this week! :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I did get to try the food, on Friday night. (It was something of an eG party there: we ran into I_call_the_duck, there with Señor Duck, and met mattohara as well.) The food was quite good; I especially enjoyed the sardines with brandied raisins and the shrimp with (what I assume is Mexican) chorizo:

gallery_7432_1362_69555.jpg

The cheese and charcuterie plate is nice, too, and fits well with the wine bar theme. We had three cheeses (an epoisse that I liked a lot, and two others that I don't remember right now), Spanish chorizo and finocchiona salami. Obviously, perfect food for a baby:

gallery_7432_1362_9971.jpg

Oh, if you get there early, there's a free floor show performed by the waiters; a bunch of young, goofy guys. I think they have a good time, waiting for the clientele to show up...

All in all, I'll just repeat what I said before: it's a great spot, and I'm delighted that it's in the neighborhood.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

OMG ARE YOU FEEDING THAT TINY BABY CURED MEAT?

The man is obviously some sort of Visigoth throwback. In spite of the handsome offspring, he's got Bad Blood in 'im, plain as daylight.

And that chorizo is most likely not Mexican, not with the way it slices all neat and shapely like that.

La Principessa Fentoni doesn't like the cured meat - only that it makes everyone so uncomfortable to think that she's eating it. :rolleyes:

Il Professore is a bad bad man. Like to pose the wee girlie with bad-for-babies food items. I've no doubt once she has teeth she'll really love all this stuff, though. By then we'll have moved her onto martinis in sippy cups. :raz:

My understanding is that the chorizo is Spanish. All the food and wine is French/Spanish/Italian.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

OMG ARE YOU FEEDING THAT TINY BABY CURED MEAT?

Kid's gotta start sometime!! How else is she gonna learn to like it?

It was great seeing Katie and other eG'ers. I had the blood orange margarita, and Mr. Duck had the Salty Pomeranian. Both were absolutely delicious. Now looking at Andrew’s pics, I wish we stayed for dinner, but Mr. Duck had other plans that night. Seems like the happening scene--we'll just have to go again soon.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Yeah, I know the kid isn't technically supposed to eat salami, but she really fusses when she doesn't get her charcuterie. What are you gonna do? I do draw the line at one cigar a day, though.

And oops, of course the chorizo isn't Mexican. I don't know what I was thinking, other than it was very different in shape, texture and flavor than the stuff we ate with the cheese. More like a hot dog, really (and I mean that in the best possible way.)

And oops, of course the chorizo isn't Mexican.  I don't know what I was thinking, other than it was very different in shape, texture and flavor than the stuff we ate with the cheese.  More like a hot dog, really (and I mean that in the best possible way.)

"...like a hot dog..."?

That doesn't sound like any chorizo I've ever met. My guess is that it's a completely different deliciousness-enhanced wrapped-cured-pig-meat, which someone had no name for. So they just grabbed the nearest thing they did have. There are many many different Iberian iterations.

Kind of like a million different Italian meats all getting called "ham".

So Katie, what's that drink called, with the St Germain, white wine, soda and twist of lemon? Or is it just called The Perfect Summer Cocktail?

The little cocktail book that comes with the bottle of the St. Germain calls it a "St. Germain Cocktail", but at Chick's we got real creative and are calling it a "St. Germain Spritzer." :rolleyes: I certainly can't take credit for this one. I think this is one of Simon Difford's creations, in collaboration with the St. Germain folks. I drank several of these one evening in the Carousel Bar at the Monteleone Hotel in NOLA, and was instantly addicted.

It is, undoubtedly, a most refeshing and light libation, lower in alcohol than most and a perfect aperitif or warm weather quaff. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying it.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

And oops, of course the chorizo isn't Mexican.  I don't know what I was thinking, other than it was very different in shape, texture and flavor than the stuff we ate with the cheese.  More like a hot dog, really (and I mean that in the best possible way.)

Being hot dog looking, could it be Chistorra, which tastes like chorizo but is actually breakfast sausage?

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally stopped by and visited Katie last night.

I had the St. Germain spritzer and he had the last of the Rhubarb cocktail.

Yum.

Katie is such the perfect mixologist. Great personality, cute, creative, has lots of FUN and passion with her job...

There were two guys at the bar, turns out one was the beverage mgr. of a local restaurant.

I think they were mighty impressed too!

:wink:

Thank you Katie!

Philly Francophiles

My dear friend Amanda and I had a lovely evening at Chick's this past Friday.

I could not agree more with the assessments everyone else has posted here! It was my first time meeting Ms. Katie, and I was a little shy introducing myself at first, as I'd heard so much here about her talents. Once I bucked up and said hello, a night's delightful acquaintance ensued.

We tried quite a range of offerings, including the Rhuby Daiquiri of legend. Subtle, tasty, refreshing. I liked it a lot, but I must say the Corpse Reviver No. 2 rocked my world.

I can't wait to get back there... :wub:

We would've gone to the cocktail dinner last night if Henry and I hadn't found a big, sweet old stray dog in the street and taken him in. (But that's a story for another time.) I hope those who attended tell us all about it!

By the time Amanda and I had passed over dessert in favor of a round of Salty Pomeranians, two other eGullet luminaries had come in to snack and drink. Katie introduced us all, and we had a grand old time at the bar, talking about our neighborhoods and how cool it is to be a fan of food and friends here in the city of grub-berly love. After saying goodnight to Amanda and Katie, we three decamped to Amada for a glass of wine and some more conversation.

I biked all the way home in a light rain, smiling. What a night. Thank you, everyone.

Side note: to my surprise, I woke up Saturday morning feeling GREAT. Now I know the difference being in the care of an awesome bartender... er, bartendrix makes! :biggrin:

"What was good enough yesterday may not be good enough today." - Thomas Keller

• 3 weeks later...

We met up with friends at Chick's on Friday evening. Had the pleasure of being there early and catching up with Katie over a Salty Pomeranian and Corpse Reviver 2. That put us in the perfect end of the week mood, met up with our friends and took a table inside.

Loved the shrimp and chorizo skewers, Tuscan fries, hummus with toast, and roasted beet salad. My only disappointment was the shortribs. They tasted OK, but they were drowned in sauce and there weren't any satisfying chunks of meat. Loved the Languedoc red Katie recommended with it. (Katie do you remember what you poured me?)

The cheese platter was good. Ribiola is one of my new favorite cheeses. I was sorry we didn't leave room for dessert. Next time.

Thanks Katie for taking good care of us. We had a great time and look forward to going back when the upstairs room is ready for business.

Alonna:

The wine you were drinking is the Sainte-Cosme Little James' Basket Press NV. We're selling quite a bit of it, as it's fruity but has enough backbone to stand up to the shortribs or other red meat. It's pretty hefty for a Grenache and I'm quite fond of it. It's an interesting non-vintage, non-flitered red that's a good value and extremely food friendly. Goes with a lot of our menu.

Thanks for stopping in! I'll look forward to seeing you again soon. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to Chick's to dine at Katie's new venue. A great place to try the small plate offerings and drink wine! I ordered (on Katie's recommendation) the bacon wrapped dates -- delicious. Also had salad with anchovies and the shrimp and chorizo skewers. The three plates made a nice supper which I complemented with a glass of Lurton Viognier. There is a nice neighborhood atmosphere here and I look forward to trying the many enticing menu items while enjoying the ambience of the bar.

Edited by vigna (log)

Katie, are you working this evening? I have an internet friend who is visiting the city from Hawaii and she is dining solo. I thought your bar might be a friendly place to eat, and I shall recommend that to her if you are working. Thanks!

Natasha:

I am off this evening and am attending a costume wedding reception and test driving my Saloon Girl costume for Halloween. I'm certain that George would be happy to take care of your friend if she wants to sit at the bar. We're having a neighborhood party in our new upstairs as well, so it might be a little busier than a usual Monday evening. Nonetheless I'm certain your friend could cobble together a lovely meal and have a few glasses of wine if she were feeling so inclined. Sorry I'll miss her.

Anyone that wants to see me in full Saloon Girl regalia has to stop by on Wednesday October 31. Photos are welcome - I'm already barred from running for public office... :raz:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!