• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chick's Wine Bar

SugarJ

:wacko:  :unsure:  :laugh: That's the emotion range as I think about the Italian postal service delivering fresh frozen juices.

I may not be Beachcomber Don or Dan....but I'll be Umbrian Hathor and figure out something to do with a whole lot of lemons and cheap, nasty gin. The trade-offs we make......  This is why you need to visit Katie. It would be a humanitarian visit!

:raz:

OK - I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.

If you have lots of gin, lemons/lemon juice and are in Italy, find a bottle of Luxardo Maraschino and start making Aviations!

When life gives you lemons, make a cocktail! :biggrin:

I can't find Luxardo, I did find some maraschino....but it was in the baking section! We're going to give it a whirl and see how it tastes.

The other night it was manhattans made with some outstanding Glenfiddich scotch. Had that scotch funk thing going on, but they were pretty good. I need to start a making cocktails in the hinterlands thread....

When life gives you lemons, make a cocktail! :biggrin:

Which is precisely what she did for me last night, when I popped in with friends in tow.

Well, they were friends when we all entered. They were fans -- of Katie and of Chick's -- by the time we left.

My weissbrau-loving fellow second tenor friend Vince (you saw him in my second foodblog; we met through PGMC, but he no longer sings in the group -- we discussed one of the reasons why over drinks at Chick's) was thrilled with the mix of Midnight Wit (something I find I usually lack by that time; alcohol dulls the brain, y'know) and Peach Lambic Katie poured for him.

That lemony concoction she prepared for me -- whose name I forget -- was equally delish.

I think Vince's bf Brian had wine, but he was down at the other end of the bar, so I can't be sure. Cute Straight Guy (okay, his name is Jim, but I've already informed him that this moniker will stick with him as long as I'm around) had something special too.

I came to Chick's off of the weekly PaperStreet bash at the Moshulu, where I felt like a cultural anthropologist among the heterosexuals but loved the vibe, dance music and setting. Three (free) vodka-and-Red Bulls left me in a state I can't say I've ever experienced before -- wired and toasted simultaneously -- so I was in pretty rare form by the time I got to Chick's. Katie handled me with aplomb.

Great work, Katie. You made three new fans last night.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks Sandy! Your friends are quite charming and sweet.

The lemony concoction you drank was the infamous Front Stoop Lemonade. The White Peach (as I'm calling it, since the colors don't differentiate like a Black & Tan) is a way for me to tame down the slighty-too-sweet-for-my-taste Von Honsebrouck St. Louis Peche lambic we currently have on draught with the Reading, PA-based Legacy Midnight Wit that's also on draught. An interesting cross cultural mix of Belgium and the Susquehanna Valley, no? And I'm also trying to move more of the Peche that way so the keg stays fresh. Normally it's served alone in a 6 oz. champagne flute. Folks that enjoy a sweeter brew are liking it that way too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Will you be open on the Fourth? How late if you are?

Guess who called me today asking me to accompany him to see John Legend tomorrow night. As I already accepted an invite to a cookout at the home of a former Penn colleague who I haven't seen in a while in Oaklyn, I had to beg off, but said that afterwards, I'd be glad to join him and his for a swing by Chick's.

It might be a holiday for some, but we'll be open our usual Friday hours. Kitchen until 12AM, bar until 2AM.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Sorry we missed you last night! We made three more converts as the night went on.

The tally: two Dark and Stormys, a Manhattan, a bottle of Malheur* split three ways, one St. Bernard, one Italian bottled beer whose name escapes me, one IPA, one other beer. Vince and CSG were finishing small plates as I got there, and Vince offered me a nibble of his Mahon.

The damage: Not that bad, considering, but more than Vince had expected. Guess we lost track of things.

The followup: A five-block walk, partly in the rain, to catch the end of the performance at Bob and Barbara's. Funny thing about that place -- no matter what your taste in beer, you feel guilty ordering anything but a PBR there. Nonetheless, they do have a full selection of brews, including good ones. The choice was made easier for me, though, by the fact that I only had $3 in my wallet. PBR ($2) it was. Vince had a "Pabstini" -- I didn't note what else went into the glass along with the PBR and the olive, but the result was weirdly tasty.

I suspect that you're going to see me a bit more often, Katie.

*Why something this delicious would have a name that translates into English as "illness" mystifies me.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

*Why something this delicious would have a name that translates into English as "illness" mystifies me.

Then it'll please you to know that it doesn't not. It means "grief", "sorrow", "mischance", "sadness". No precise English equivalent, but those will get you started on triangulation.

In its event-specific sense, an illness is certainly an instance of "malheur", but "un malheur" is not necessarily an illness. In that context, it means an unfortunate event.

Then it'll please you to know that it doesn't not. It means "grief", "sorrow", "mischance", "sadness". No precise English equivalent, but those will get you started on triangulation.

In its event-specific sense, an illness is certainly an instance of "malheur", but "un malheur" is not necessarily an illness. In that context, it means an unfortunate event.

Then it still mystifies me, for drinking this is anything but an unfortunate event...

although I guess you might want to drink it to drown your sorrow, ease your grief, or dull the pain of your misfortune...

...and drinking too much of it too quickly can lead to illness.

• 1 month later...

We spend most of our energy raving about Katie Loeb's drinks at Chick's, which is certainly justified, but it's worth remembering that there's good food there too. I'm not sure why I don't think of eating there more often, every time I do, I enjoy what I have... So let's not forget to give some props to Chef Jim Piano as well.

Just this past weekend I wandered in hungry, and decided to check out the Wild Boar Burger that used to be a special, but I think may have made it onto the regular menu.

gallery_23992_5408_88668.jpg

Wow, that thing is tasty! The burger itself was nice and juicy, and especially with the taleggio cheese, roasted tomato and roasted long-hot pepper, so full of flavor that I felt no need for any condiments. Perhaps almost as important, the brioche bun, made in-house by pastry chef Kristin Weber, might be the best burger bun I've ever encountered. It's soft, but doesn't fall apart, it's got a nice flavor of its own, but doesn't overwhelm the burger.

So next time you're jonesing for a burger, instead of the usual suspects, give this one a try, it's a really nice alternative to the classic beef burger.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Katie, after reading through this thread (and the Chick's review in the Best of Philly issue of Philadelphia Magazine) I'm jonesing for a cocktail in the worst way imaginable. I'm definitely swinging by this weekend to say hi and down a couple Front Stoop Lemonades...

Sarah

(Long-time lurker, cocktail junkie :-) )

Sarah Fernandez aka "mssurgeon81"

Philadelphia, PA

Katie, after reading through this thread (and the Chick's review in the Best of Philly issue of Philadelphia Magazine) I'm jonesing for a cocktail in the worst way imaginable.  I'm definitely swinging by this weekend to say hi and down a couple Front Stoop Lemonades...

Sarah

(Long-time lurker, cocktail junkie :-) )

Come on in! Make sure to introduce yourself when you stop by. I'll be working this week through Saturday so I hope I'm there when you stop in. Front Stoop Lemonades are always in season (for now). I'm just starting to think about the fall cocktail menu and more autumnal flavors...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks Chris! Glad you're still enjoying the drink. It remains one of my favorite gin delivery systems as well... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, Great dinner here last night. No Katie but George did a fine job last night. Had a arugola salad with pears, lightly dressed. Then I had the gnudi which is very similar to gnocchi with shaved cheese, proscuitto and olive oil. This might have been one of my top ten dishes of the year. A couple of dark and stormys and a a glass of a Spanish white who's name escapes me. I'll be back in a few weeks and hopefully the sassy Aussie who kept me entertained at the bar will be there. I'll PM you Katie next time through.

Lou!

So sorry I missed you. And thanks to Jo, our friendly Aussie bartendress for entertaining you on that side of the bar. But I'm so sad we didn't have the pleasure of finally meeting in the flesh. Next time for sure...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Woo-hoo! gallery_7409_6069_64.jpgIt's official! After waiting an eternity since last October, Chick's liquor license has finally been extended to the outdoor seating area! Just in time for the lovely weather, too. So stop by and have anything you want whilst enjoying the cool evening breeze... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I won't be behind the bar, but will happily stop in to join you on the "served" side of the bar on my night off. PM me with your schedule. I'll be there with bells on! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In an attempt to make a night out a bit more affordable in these tough economic times, Chick's is starting Panini Tuesdays tomorrow evening, Tuesday 11/18/08

Recession Proof $5 Panini sandwiches. Your choice of:

- Smoked Mozzarella, oven roasted Tomato, Basil

- Truffled Wild Mushroom and Taleggio

- Fig, Gorgonzola and Carmelized Onions

- Serrano and Mahon with Dijon

- Chicken, Brie and Pear with Membrillo

Add a soup or salad or fries for $3.

I'm off on Tuesdays and will likely be on the other side of the bar for some of those sandwiches! That's even easier than cooking dinner for myself. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

In an attempt to make a night out a bit more affordable in these tough economic times, Chick's is starting Panini Tuesdays tomorrow evening, Tuesday 11/18/08

Recession Proof $5 Panini sandwiches.  Your choice of:

I'm off on Tuesdays and will likely be on the other side of the bar for some of those sandwiches!  That's even easier than cooking dinner for myself.  :wink:

Not really affordable if you factor in the airplane ticket ... but tempting! :cool:

Maybe FedEx...

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Recession Proof $5 Panini sandwiches.  Your choice of:

I'm off on Tuesdays and will likely be on the other side of the bar for some of those sandwiches!  That's even easier than cooking dinner for myself.  :wink:

Not really affordable if you factor in the airplane ticket ... but tempting! :cool:

Maybe FedEx...

:laugh: Well, that's probably true. However, should you be passing through Philly at any point, you know where to find me and some tasty paninis...

FedEx isn't a good idea. Grilled cheese, like french fries, is only good when it's hot and fresh

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!