• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chick's Wine Bar

SugarJ

Since I'm here I wanted to give a shout out to Katie and her fabulous work behind the bar. I was at Chick's Friday night with 2 friends and not only did she steer us right as far as cocktails go, she was also a friendly presence behind the bar. Wish we could've stayed for din, but thanks also for seconding my recommendation of Southwark, we loved our cocktails there too!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Four of us -- the Grim Reaper, a firefighter, a friend of both who had a few too many and a rapper (me) -- made for a fine little Halloween party last night, closing Chick's along with Katie.

She had prepared a killer Halloween punch that tasted like pumpkins and cinnamon -- but not too much like them. Two small glasses of these produced a very nice buzz but weren't so potent that I couldn't walk back to Woody's affair. (I probably should have gone ahead and spent the $20 to attend Henri David's ball, which I've never done, but it wasn't important enough for me to part with scarce between-jobs funds.)

Killer costume she had on, too.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Over in Spirits & Cocktails, I've posted about the Chick's Repeal Day Party. We'll be at it all night. Come and celebrate your constitutional right to party! Woo-hoo!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend and I stopped in last night and had a fantastic meal and some excellent drinks served up by Ms. Katie Loeb herself. This place is the perfect date spot, cozy and friendly with some seriously good food.

I started off with an Aviatrix, which was delicious and went down way too easily. GF had a champagne cocktail (champagne and limoncello, I believe), which she loved. We ordered up some food, starting off with the shrimp and chorizo skewers. I'm not a big fan of shrimp, but this combination works well together. After all, grilled chorizo has that bacon-esque quality of just making other things better.

Up next was the spinach and prosciutto gnudi that my gf ordered... wow. God DAMN were these things good. The light and airy gnudi, the garlic-laced spinach, and the razor thin, delicately salty prosciutto were all very good on their own, but together they were on another level. I was immediately jealous that my gf had ordered them and I didn't. I had the steak frites, which was a perfectly cooked med rare strip steak on top of a huge pile of shoestring fries. It wasn't the best I've had but it was solid, and it's not like I was at a steakhouse, I was just jonesing for red meat. Katie picked out a very nice nebbiolo to pair up with my steak. She also chose a white wine (forget which kind) for my gf to pair with her gnudi which she raved about.

I should mention at this point that I had not introduced myself as an eGullet member until after the meal, mostly because I didn't want to seem all dorky and saddle up to the bar like "HEY I'M FROM EGULLET!!!" But Katie was an excellent host, from choosing wines to go with our meal to also mixing up some delicious cocktails. Her and the other bartender just seemed to be having a good time, chatting with all the patrons and making everyone feel comfortable. Isn't that the way it should be? She had mixed me up a Sazerac, which I had never had and is a serious cocktail, but I now understand what people mean when they say "balanced" cocktail. If made carelessly, this drink could easily be an overpowering mix of harsh alcohol. However, it came off as still assertive but very well rounded. Tasty stuff.

We had also met Katie, very briefly, close to a year ago when we had a Valentine's day dinner at M. So for those scoring at home, we are 2-for-2 with having incredible dinners at Katie Loeb-employed establishments. My gf already can't wait to go back. Thanks for a great night!

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

:blush: Thanks for the props, Tim. Glad you both enjoyed everything so much.

The wine your gf had was a glass of the Pio Arneis. Sadly, we just sold out of it last night, but I hope we'll be getting it back. Working behind a bar with a great wine, beer and spirits selection is like a playground for me, since I have such an arsenal of things I can suggest to accompany your meal or mix up for your imbibing pleasure. Makes for me having fun and it filters over the bar, I hope. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Experienced the cocktail stylings of mixologist Katie Loeb on Saturday night at Chick’s Wine Bar. High on my recommendation list would be the Spiced Apple rum rickey and the Apple Manhattan!!! As a huge Manhattan drinker, I wasn’t sure how the Apple would incorporate but the drink was well crafted and complex – I should have gotten a couple more in a To-Go container

I loved Chick’s quaint vibe as it reminded me of one my favorite neighborhood haunts back home. We met a few of my girl’s aunts and cousins and such and got a table upstairs. Personal highlights were Anchovy Salad, Cauliflower gratin, Broccoli rabe, Valdeon stuffed dates, and fried calamari. After an order of baked rigatoni, and Seared scallops, we washed it down with a bottle of prosecco, a couple of quartinos of Italian wine (a Pinot and a Querceto Chianti) a Chocolate crème brulee, a chocolate tart, and some Taylor 20. If they had a Chick’s in Rochester, I’m sure I’d visit weekly

All in all, the food was tasty and the prices were very reasonable and the service for your large group was stellar. If you go, ask for Stephen – his chubbier, somewhat unkempt counterpart was rather dour and oafish. Stephen made us feel welcome and filled all our requests and met all out needs with aplomb and humor.

• 1 month later...

I've spent most of my time at Chick's drinking (although I've gotten some good food too) but I hadn't sampled the desserts before last night.

OK, stop what you're doing, get yourself over to Chick's and try one of these:

gallery_23992_5408_12556.jpg

Fig and Bay Leaf Crostada.

There's a fig jam under the bay leaf flavored pastry cream, chunks of figs on top, a tender crust under it all. The slightly savory note of the bay leaf against the sweet figs is really delicious.

gallery_23992_5408_18967.jpg

There are a few more desserts on the menu. Looks like I need to do more research...

And don't worry, Katie's got a wine match ready!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I was thinking of stopping at Chicks when I am Philly next month, but I will be dining alone, unfortunately. Is this the kind of place where I can eat at the bar?

Absolutely. I've eaten alone at the bar several times. Between chatting with Katie and the other friendly folks at the bar, it makes for a very pleasant solo dining experience. I enjoyed a really good steak frites there while perched at the bar not long ago.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I was thinking of stopping at Chicks when I am Philly next month, but I will be dining alone, unfortunately. Is this the kind of place where I can eat at the bar?

Chris:

Please let me know when to expect you. I love having diners at the bar. It allows me the opportunity to personally guide your meal. I'd be happy to help you pair some wines with your meal. And mix you a preprandial cocktail as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Lou:

I wish I were, just to say hi, but I'm off and it's my birthday, so I have elaborate plans for the evening. However, I'm certain my cohort George would be happy to help you out in my absence.

PM me. Don't know what time your meeting is, but I might be able to manage a mid-afternoon pick-me-up if your schedule allows. :wink:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just wondering what Katie will prescribe for a post zoning board pick-me-up.

That would depends on how the meeting went for the attendee... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Wow,

That was my toughest visit in front of a neighborhood zoning commitee. Glad I had a couple of glasses of Schafer Hillside before I got there. Katie, I'm back in Philly in mid-May. Will keep in touch. Thanks for the invite. Hope you had a happy birthday.

Lou

ooh! I go before the zoning board next week. I wonder if they'd frown on a cocktail before the 2pm hearing? :unsure:

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

ooh! I go before the zoning board next week. I wonder if they'd frown on a cocktail before the 2pm hearing? :unsure:

It wasn't the zonig board, it was the neighborhood people who killed me. I think they had a few drinks before they came. They were well informed but out for blood.

Lou:

Sorry I missed you at the wine tasting, if indeed that's the case. I'd had a few glasses of Shafer myself at that point and was wearing out my welcome with the wine pourers, so I thought it best to go. :rolleyes: At least you were well fortified before your meeting. :raz:

Not surprised the neighborhood folks were carrying pitchforks and torches. Welcome to Philly politics. :biggrin:

I'll look forward to seeing you next time.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!