• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Perfect Batters for Frying

Wilfrid

• 7 years later...

Hi,

I'm doing fish and chips tonight (chicken tenders for backup if fish smell not remediable).  The Serious Eats recipe says 1 c flour, 1 c cornstarch, 1 egg, 12 oz beer.

What would happen if I used 2 c cornstarch and no flour?

It's easier to avoid clumping if you start by dry-blending cornstarch with flour, as the flour gets between the starch particles and helps them stay separate. You'll also have a different texture in the final fried batter. Corn starch absorbs more oil than what flour does, so the final product may be greasier than it otherwise would be.

• Like 2

I haven't tried the recipe, so I can't say... but it looks to be pretty good! I've been relying on the ChefSteps and Modernist Cuisine batter recipes as of late. My favorite is the ChefSteps recipe for batter that's aerated in a whipping siphon. It's light and lacy and doesn't require the addition of beer or vodka. I don't drink vodka and don't buy the sort of beer you'd typically use in a batter, so that recipe has been a blessing. Let us know how the Serious Eats recipe works out!

I've made the 50/50 batter with beer for fish and chips and it was amazing. Shatteringly crisp, dry and light as a feather.

I'll never use any other recipe for frying seafood (tempura excluded) - 

and bearing in mind that maintaining proper oil temp at all times is as important as the batter one selects in any frying project 

The SE recipe was a success.  It was a little bit greasy but I have only myself to blame because I got impatient waiting for the oil to get to 375.  It is very crisp and the flavor is good.  It's a keeper for me.