• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

heading to SF for a business trip

jturn00

Hi,

I am heading to San Francisco for a business trip and will be staying at the hotel monaco. I am not sure of the exact address but I can look it up if it helps. what would be some good/decent places for dinner where I won't need a reservation and is within walking distance to the hotel? (BTW, We already have reservations at boulevard for dinner one of the nights we are in town. These ideas would be for the night we arrive.)

Jeff

Hi, 

I am heading to San Francisco for a business trip and will be staying at the hotel monaco.  I am not sure of the exact address but I can look it up if it helps.  what would be some good/decent places for dinner where I won't need a reservation and is within walking distance to the hotel?  (BTW, We already have reservations at boulevard for dinner one of the nights we are in town.  These ideas would be for the night we arrive.)

Jeff

I adore the Hotel Monaco - not for the restaurant in the back (which apparently is going through yet another Chef change, as they asked me to return at the August when a new menu will apparently be in place), but for the front Cafe and ample oysters. They have a stunning seafood bar and there is nothing like sitting in the Art Nouveau cafe with a platter of raw shellfish a great glass of Chablis.

Walking distance is really vast - you are close to the new Westfield Center (many people like Out The Door, the smaller version of The Slanted Door). There is also Beldon Place for a whole alleyway of French and Spanish restaurants.

Hope that helps!

Cross the street and head to Cortez at the Hotel Adagio for terrific small plates and a vibrant bar scene.

Cortez Restaurant

For Breakfast, lunch or brunch head around the corner to Dottie's True Blue Cafe - try the grilled cornbread as a side to any dish. Be prepared to wait, and don't leave without ordering the sticky buns. You won't be disappointed.

Dottie's Info on SFWeekly.com

Enjoy your stay

Edited by lizard (log)

Cross the street and head to Cortez at the Hotel Adagio for terrific small plates and a vibrant bar scene. 

Cortez Restaurant

For Breakfast, lunch or brunch head around the corner to Dottie's True Blue Cafe - try the grilled cornbread as a side to any dish.  Be prepared to wait, and don't leave without ordering the sticky buns. You won't be disappointed.

Dottie's Info on SFWeekly.com

Enjoy your stay

Concur - I went to Dottie's for the first time a few weeks ago. Fortunately, I could go on a week day morning, relatively early so the wait was minimal. Well worth it.

Thanks for the input. We didn't even get to go to boulevard. We ate dinner the night we got there at the hotel restaurant. By the time the plane landed and we got to the hotel it was almost 10pm SF time, so that was the easiest. Not bad. Not great. We ate breakfast at the hotel as well only because that was the easiest as well. We did get chance to go to Postrio. It was nice, but I should have ordered steak.... I had a scallop starter that was really great but my sesame tuna was just ok. And the veggies were too salty. desert was good. But being a business dinner and trip not the best but not the worst..... Hopefully next time I will get a chance to try the other places!

Jeff

i would think that postrio is past its prime as the rosenthal brothers are busy with their two/three(?) new restaurants.

anyone else have an opinion with regard to postrio?

jturn00, you'll definitely have to make more time for food the next time you're in town.

i would think that postrio is past its prime as the rosenthal brothers are busy with their two/three(?) new restaurants.

anyone else have an opinion with regard to postrio?

jturn00, you'll definitely have to make more time for food the next time you're in town.

I honestly don't know anyone who has been to postrio in the past five years. I don't know if it's past its prime, but it certainly isn't a place people are rushing to visit.