• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Books and Resources for Cold Food Competitions

Maybe I can help? I was a Chef Garde Manger for 8 years. What category did you sign up for, hors d'oeuvres platters, canapes, pates, terrrines or individual plate presentations?

A book written by Superiore Arti Culinarie ETOILE -Sottomarina di Venezia - Italy, tittled "The Great Book Of Buffets" contains mostly pictures from competitions.

Rules may have changed from the last time I entered a competition, so you have to read that yourself.

Maybe I can help? I was a Chef Garde Manger for 8 years. What category did you sign up for, hors d'oeuvres platters, canapes, pates, terrrines or individual plate presentations?

A book written by Superiore Arti Culinarie ETOILE -Sottomarina di Venezia - Italy, tittled "The Great Book Of Buffets" contains mostly pictures from competitions. 

Rules may have changed from the last time I entered a competition, so you have to read that yourself.

I signed up for category B1, which is 5 cold app plates. That book seems it would be helpful, but its not in English. Is there a translated version?

Thanks for the help so far!

I don't know of any specific books, but traditional Chinese cuisine is filled with many cold "appetizer" dishes. At any mid-grade restaurant one should be able to find at least a dozen cold dishes on the menu.

Here are some that immediately come to mind:

Sliced beef tendon drizzled with chile oil (Sichuan-style)

Jellyfish with daikon slices

Salt-pressed chicken/duck

Salt-pressed duck gizzard (see my recipe)

Lotus root stuffed with sugar and glutinous rice

Cold dumplings of many kinds

• 1 month later...
I bought the CIA Garde Manger book and it was very useful! I won a bronze medal as a result of inspiration from that book, Thanks for the info!

Congratulations!!! Got pictures?