• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Fancy" Canning Jars

llc45

After wanting to for years, I am finally going to make this the year to start preserving/canning the wonderful produce I get from the farmers in my area. My dad did all of the canning in the family for years but has kind of lost interest in recent years. So, I am going to be receiving much of his canning equipment, including more jars than I can possible hope to fill.

However, I have been reading the summer preserving thread and ordered Mes Confitures as a result. Not only can't I wait to try some of the recipes - I WANT THE JARS!! I am assuming that they are made in France or somewhere in Europe. Even though I will be happy to use my Dad's jars mostly, I would really like some fancy jars to give out as gifts. Does anyone in America make anything similar? Also, a friend who cans had sealing problems when using a solid lid and advised me to only use two-part lids (lid and screw cap). The few "fancy" jars that I have found online have a solid lid. Is this really an issue?

I found these and am saving them for gifts with something appropriate inside like special preserves, or some candied organic orange peel... still thinking :

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-43870/Detail

They look much more interesting in real life; very wide-mouthed, very shallow jars. They would be good for something delicate, or for something you would like to reach into the jar to bring out. They have the large mason lid (2 part) in a "platinum" color.

You can probably find them lots of places but the link shows a pretty good price, I think I paid more at a wal-mart.... of course there was not shipping involved there, just expensive gasoline.

gallery_17733_4948_3916.jpg

Edited by maurdel (log)

After wanting to for years, I am finally going to make this the year to start preserving/canning the wonderful produce I get from the farmers in my area.  My dad did all of the canning in the family for years but has kind of lost interest in recent years.  So, I am going to be receiving much of his canning equipment, including more jars than I can possible hope to fill. 

However, I have been reading the summer preserving thread and ordered Mes Confitures as a result.  Not only can't I wait to try some of the recipes - I WANT THE JARS!!  I am assuming that they are made in France or somewhere in Europe.  Even though I will be happy to use my Dad's jars mostly, I would really like some fancy jars to give out as gifts.  Does anyone in America make anything similar?  Also, a friend who cans had sealing problems when using a solid lid and advised me to only use two-part lids (lid and screw cap).  The few "fancy" jars that I have found online have a solid lid.  Is this really an issue?

I don't do canning, but I get jams with my store label from an Amish company. When they switched from two-part lids to solid, many of the seals popped during shipping. I'd suggest you use the two-part lids if you plan to ship the items.

Ilene

The Container Store sells a number of nice French and Italian jars. Their selection is here: http://www.containerstore.com/browse/index.jhtml?CATID=74177

We use some of these nicer jars for items that are stored in the fridge, i.e. not water processed. We still with the two part lids for water processing.

Everything that I've read indicates that these types of "one part" lids are considerably less reliable than the two-part lids on mason jars. The earlier advice to use two-part lids if you are going to ship the produce seems wise. More generally, I think the decision comes down to how accepting you are to jars popping open. If you are making four jars of something, I suspect you would want to play it safe and go with two-part lids. If you are making 10-20 jars, you can stand to lose 5 of them if a one-part lid doesn't seal properly.

I found these and am saving them for gifts with something appropriate inside like special preserves, or some candied organic orange peel... still thinking :

They look much more interesting in real life; very wide-mouthed, very shallow jars. They would be good for something delicate, or for something you would like to reach into the jar to bring out. They have the large mason lid (2 part) in a "platinum" color.

You can probably find them lots of places but the link shows a pretty good price, I think I paid more at a wal-mart.... of course there was not shipping involved there, just expensive gasoline.

I bought some of these and was disappointed that they don't stack. The bottom is too big.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Wow - it look like there are some good sources after all! I think I will order several types to experiment a little (they all look so nice - I'm having a hard time narrowing it down). Thank you so much for the good suggestions. One last question, I see that some of the jars have a glass lid. Since the recipes I'm starting with are based on the two-part metal lid, is the procedure much different for a glass lid? Are they as reliable as the metal lids? Can't wait to get started!

I've been looking, too. It's hard to find much locally except for the Ball jars. Here are some interesting ones that I'm considering ordering.

Edit: Aha, I finally found the kind I've been looking for! Square jelly jars, hexagon jelly jars, etc, all here!

Edited by plk (log)

I bought some of these and was disappointed that they don't stack. The bottom is too big.

They stack with the bands removed.

I find the most interesting & best value jars are to be found in secondhand shops--I pick up the ones with the glass lids whenever I find them, less than a dollar apiece. Perhaps not the best for a canning beginner as they don't indicate the seal in the same way as the two part metal lids, but I much prefer glass & rubber to be in contact with my food than the polycarbonate #7 resin which coats the inside of the metal lids.

They stack with the bands removed.

Kayakado, I was disappointed too. I bought them thinking that they would and I would keep certain spices in them on my shelf.

Melkor, I never noticed that they stack w/out bands. I'm going to try it just to see. But I still would prefer the bands on a spice shelf. They just look so stackable!

I must add that I do like the canning process with the Weck jars. I don't do official canning much but I do often make jams, preserves etc... but often I just keep them refrigerated. Even "unofficial canning" is great in the Wecks.

I find the most interesting & best value jars are to be found in secondhand shops--I pick up the ones with the glass lids whenever I find them, less than a dollar apiece.  Perhaps not the best for a canning beginner as they don't indicate the seal in the same way as the two part metal lids, but I much prefer glass & rubber to be in contact with my food than the polycarbonate #7 resin which coats the inside of the metal lids.

That's a great idea. It'll give me something to work up to.

I use regular canning jars of all kinds and just make nice labels on the computer and sometimes get all "Martha Stewart" and make nice lid covers..one cover that looks pretty (no pic right now sorry)

is to cover the lid with thinly peeled birch bark and tie it with a natural looking rafia

I am not crafty but this is easy and looks really rustic and pretty I think ...

the canning jars are beautiful in these links I can see they would be nice for giving gifts ..but really they are kind of expensive for mass canning/giving ..and there are tons of jars in the markets right now ..since we are in the season.... that have pretty shapes look nice .. it is more cost effective for me to just make the jar look nicer with my food inside and a nice label....just a suggestion if you are starting out!

however some of those jars are tempting that is for sure!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I have so left this topic alone, because me and the USDA have differing opinions.

So let me come down on the side of safety. The United States Department of Agriculture does not recommend using the afore mentioned construction of glass canning jars with gaskets and glass lid - so don't ever do it.

Having said that, I do it all the time. I think they are not only pleasing to the eye, they give me a better seal. If the thing passes the "lift" test where you pick up the entire contents by the glass lid, you have a seal. In order for this test to work, of course, remove the clips or release the bail. I have a harder time getting into this type of seal than I do my two part lids on regular jars.

It is my understanding that the USDA frowned upon this construction, and deemed it unsafe, because there is no obvious indicator that a seal has been made. The two part lids are called dome lids, and go from convex to concave when a vacuum happens inside the jar.

A glass lid, a gasket, and the glass rim of a jar make for a very good seal. The principals are the same for both. Processing increases the heat inside the jar and forces air out of the seal. If you could see inside the pressure canner or the boiling water bath, the contents of the jar actually hit the bottom of the lid. Aerobic bacteria are then starved of air inside the jar and cannot reproduce. Anaerobic bacteria are killed by the high temps or the acid content of whatever is in the jar.

There is a sort of canning and preserving renaissance going on right now and it makes me a little bit nervous. I think I've only had three or four jars go bad my whole life, and it was in one batch of bad dome lids I bought on clearance. The problem that I see is that many people don't understand what to look for when they open the container.

If you don't have a hard time getting the lid off, don't use it. Look for indications of the vacuum, the sort of whoosh when you open it, and if there is not a vacuum, don't use it. If anything is off looking or smelling, don't eat it.

I find that I have to tell people this before I give them my home canned goods. It is so I can sleep at night, not because I am not confident in my canning skills.

As far as sealing ability is concerned, look at the area of the gasket vs. the area of the seal on the two part dome lids. That sucker with the big gasket is sealed, and as long as the product is properly processed, it is perfectly safe. Follow the directions, tedious as they are, and you can feel good about the food you are gifting your loved ones with.

But the USDA says don't use them, so don't. :wink:

I can a lot of things, and I use mason/kerr jars with 2 piece lids.

If I was doing pickles or jams, that is to say high acid or sugar products, I wouldn't worry too much about the glass lids.

For anything else, I am going with USDA recommendations.

I use the pressure cooker instead of waterbath canning for just about everything, just to make sure I don't kill anyone. :shock:

sparrowgrass

Kayakado, I was disappointed too. I bought them thinking that they would and I would keep certain spices in them on my shelf.

Melkor, I never noticed that they stack w/out bands. I'm going to try it just to see. But I still would prefer the bands on a spice shelf. They just look so stackable!

I must add that I do like the canning process with the Weck jars. I don't do official canning much but I do often make jams, preserves etc... but often I just keep them refrigerated.  Even "unofficial canning" is great in the Wecks.

They fooled me too, but I solved the problem by cutting non-slip, padded shelf liner into squares and stacking them with the squares between the jars. I use the same thing for stacking the fat, glass-top jars with the wire snap fasteners - the glass lids are slightly domed and do not stack securely without the squares.

(I have an old paper cutter which no longer cuts paper cleanly because of some play in the screw that holds the blade. However, it works dandy on thicker stuff, such as the shelf liner, flexible cutting mats, etc.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 10 months later...

I am hoping to find these jars somewhere in the US/Canada. I have searched to no avail.

http://www.moderndroguerie.eu/catalog/terr...it-pi-1671.html

They are like the 8 oz mason jars, only they are about 12 oz. A perfect size for canning pate, which is what I have seen them used for in France. I want something that can stand up to pressure canning, which I don't think the le parfait or the weck jars can (but please tell me if I'm wrong).

If I'd known they would be so difficult to find, I would have lugged a couple dozen back from France. Modern Droguerie will ship, but it's exhorbitant.

On the subject, I used to be able to find 24 oz. wide mouth straight-sided mason jars. They were perfect for some things, and I would like to find them again. They're like a larger version of the 12 oz preserves jar, wider and taller. I like the 12 oz, but would also like to find the 24 oz. I've only got 1 or 2 left.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by annieb (log)

• 6 months later...

Alright...now I'm a bit overwhelmed at the options. I started canning to sell this season at my store. Made some great stuff - most of it thanks to andiesenji's advice. I used the typical Ball jars found all over town. I'm ready to step up to some cooler, and more aligned to my image, jars.

I see three types of lids - mason jar two piece lids, glass lid and gasket, and regular aluminum screw top one piece. I saw the previous comments about glass lid and gasket not being supported by the feds, so I'll avoid that since I'm selling. What about one piece lids. I'm asking because I love the jars at specialtybottles.com, but they are all one piece screw lids. Any advice?

The one piece lids work just fine. However, you have to be sure and carefully clean the top edge of the jar - it must be absolutely free of any of the jar contents and any oily residue (even from your hands) or the seal may fail.

I have used them successfully and with stuff that contains a lot of liquid, such as pickles, after they are completely cool, I place them upside-down on a large tray or sheet pan and leave them undisturbed for several days. I have found that this insures that if there is any inherent problem in the seal, it will fail at this time and save me problems later. Easier to clean up from the tray or pan than cleaning several shelves and the floor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett