• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best seafood in Barcelona

catsrus9

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now, but this is my first post! Anyway, I'm going to be in Barcelona studying abroad next semester, and my parents will be visiting for a few days in September. I've already made a few dinner reservations, but I also want to go to a great seafood place. As my parents will be treating me, cost is not a significant issue. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best seafood in Barcelona. I have heard great things about both Rias de Galicia and Passadis del Pep. My understanding is that both are very expensive (Rias being more so) and that Rias focuses more on exotic, less common seafood. Can anyone comment on the merit of these two restaurants? I'd also love to hear other suggestions people have.

Thanks so much!

-Charlie

:biggrin:

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a few months now, but this is my first post! Anyway, I'm going to be in Barcelona studying abroad next semester, and my parents will be visiting for a few days in September.  I've already made a few dinner reservations, but I also want to go to a great seafood place. As my parents will be treating me, cost is not a significant issue. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best seafood in Barcelona. I have heard great things about both Rias de Galicia and Passadis del Pep. My understanding is that both are very expensive (Rias being more so) and that Rias focuses more on exotic, less common seafood. Can anyone comment on the merit of these two restaurants? I'd also love to hear other suggestions people have.

Thanks so much!

-Charlie

:biggrin:

Dear Charlie: As a veteran Barcelona traveller we have sampled all the best Barcelona has to offer for the last ten plus years.

We currently support Rias as the most consistent, reliable Galician seafood restaurant in Barcelona. My question is what seafood, fish or exotic fare from the sea do you hope to sample in Barcelona? Whatever you wish to experience, Rias will provide you, granted at a hefty price. The product quality will be good if not excellent. We found it superior to Butafumeiro! You can experience great seafood products at many Barcelona restaurants, if you know what you desire. Rias is a great solution to any desired seafood products; we think this is the restaurant that will deliver. Judith Gebhart

Since Judith has weighed in on Rias, I will put in my two cents for Passadis.

Passadis has been one of my favorite seafood places for years, and they remain so. Their seafood is fairly simply presented so it isnt the place for someone who wants a very fancy michelin restaurant type of experience, but the experience is a very fun one. For an out of town visitor they are a fantastic way to experience the range of mediterranean seafood in one go.

one word of warning though, have a light lunch or no lunch the day you go.

Thanks for the info! Judith, would you mind letting me know how much dinner costs (approximately) per person at Rias. I realize that likely depends on how much seafood you get and what you're getting....but your best estimate. Assume that I wouldn't be ordering all exotic items. Someone told me it cost nearly 200E a person....which seems rather insane.

As for the type of seafood I'd like....I'm not concerned with it being the rarest or most unusual fish and shellfish. Maybe I'd try a few unusual things, but some great shrimp, clams, langoustines, etc would be fantastic.

Thanks!

-Charlie

For some of the less exotic stuff (for Barcelona) Kiosk Universal in the Boqueria does a good job at a very reasonable price. Perhaps it is not quite as wonderful as Rias, but still blows the doors off of any seafood one can find in the US.

Wherever you go, the langoustines and local red shrimp should be wonderful. I also particularly enjoy eating razor clams and grilled fresh sardines when I am in Spain. If you have a chance to try percebes or esperdenyas, do.

I haven't been to Rias, but it will be high on my list to go to next time I am in Barcelona. Remember that top quality seafood is expensive - perhaps more than any other class of food. You won't find better anywhere than what is available in Spain. The usual is outstanding and the best, sublime.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If you're after the food, Rías de Galicia is the place to go. You can have a very nice meal sampling lots of things in the 100€ per person area. Of course, you'll easily blow this out if you ask for angulas --in season--, spiny lobster and the like. But if you keep your head cold you can have a great dinner at a reasonable price when speaking of top notch seafood. And if you're lucky, you may find Ferrán Adrià having dinner there.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Thanks for the info! Judith, would you mind letting me know how much dinner costs (approximately) per person at Rias. I realize that likely depends on how much seafood you get and what you're getting....but your best estimate. Assume that I wouldn't be ordering all exotic items. Someone told me it cost nearly 200E a person....which seems rather insane.

As for the type of seafood I'd like....I'm not concerned with it being the rarest or most unusual fish and shellfish. Maybe I'd try a few unusual things, but some great shrimp, clams, langoustines, etc would be fantastic.

Thanks!

-Charlie

Dear Charlie, Sorry I have been late in responding to your specific price questions. 200 euros is excessively high. We have never spent that much for all the exotics we love to order and only when in season. So a meal (remember the euro now is higher against the dollar than last year) will be more costly but at worst, it will be 130 euros per person plus wine. Our highest bill was in excess of $300 with a great wine. You can, as we have done, eat for a lot less. Prices are all over the map, depending on the items you choose. Whatever your choices, they will be exceptionally fresh and delectable. Hope this helps. I have never tried Paradis (sp) but will certainly try it on our next trip to Barcelona. Enjoy your visit. Judith Gebhart

• 8 months later...
Any less expensive suggestions?

Kiosk Universal in the Boqueria is a good place for good, simply prepared seafood at a relatively reasonable price. It is best for lunch, but be prepared to wait for seats at the counter.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 5 months later...

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to my taste Kiosk Universal serves quite mediocre product and overcooks it.

We had a marvelous meal at Passadis, and I look forward to going back later this week. The key is to call ahead with any special requests (gambas de Denia grilled over salt, etc.), but for the most part, forget the menu and just ask for the day's best catch. This goes for just about any seafood place.

Great seafood quite naturally comes at a price, even in informal places. This is why the best seafood is to be had in Japan and Spain, where people are willing to pay more for quality.