• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indonesian?

Dante

Hello.

I go by the name Dante. I’ve just started posting on eGullet a couple of weeks ago.

And already I’m asking questions…

When I lived in the DC Metro area, I had access to a wide variety of dining options and cuisines to choose from. I now live in New Hampshire which, while not the culinary wasteland I’d feared it would be (quite the opposite, actually), does not offer certain options that I’d become fond of during my DC-area residence.

I’ve made up for this lack for the most part by striving to learn some of the styles I don’t have access to up here, but one still continues to elude me.

I used to live about a mile from a wonderful little Indonesian restaurant called Sabang, which I miss quite a bit. Can anyone out there recommend a good Indonesian cookbook?

Sincerely,

Dante

I used to live about a mile from a wonderful little Indonesian restaurant called Sabang, which I miss quite a bit.

Whoa, Sabang – we used to go there frequently. It sounds like we were discontemporaneous neighbors. I also feel your pain - missing the dining options in Maryland's DC 'burbs is what motivated me to learn to cook.

Can anyone out there recommend a good Indonesian cookbook?

Cradle of Flavor by James Oseland, is a wonderful cookbook that includes recipes from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. Crouching Tyler started a thread on Cooking with 'Cradle of Flavor', One Recipe at a Time.

Whoa, Sabang – we used to go there frequently. It sounds like we were discontemporaneous neighbors. I also feel your pain - missing the dining options in Maryland's DC 'burbs is what motivated me to learn to cook.

We used to live on Hermitage Ave- right off of Georgia Ave, down the street from the library in Wheaton, so I lived within a mile (walking-distance for me) of quite a few nice places- Los Chorros for Salvadoran, Dusit for Thai, the now late-and-lamented Thanh Thanh for Vietnamese, a really nice kebab house by Hanh Ah Reum's Asian market whose name I can't recall right now...

and, of course, the Metro to take me to anywhere else I wanted to go (except Georgetown, so getting to Dean & DeLuca's was a bit of a chore).

Tony Chang's for Mongolian Barbecue, Red Tomato for Italian, and, of course, Jaleo for Tapas...

Cradle of Flavor by James Oseland, is a wonderful cookbook that includes recipes from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. Crouching Tyler started a thread on Cooking with 'Cradle of Flavor', One Recipe at a Time.

thanx! I'll have to check that out!

and thanx to SuzySushi and StevenC for their recommendations too! I'll do some research - one of my housemates has been making a point of late to remind me that we do in fact have limited space for cookbooks in the house, so I have to exercise extreme discretion in what I pick up. :)

Sincerely,

Dante