• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Meals in Seattle

So I'm going to be moving to NY in less than two months and I'm trying to create a list of gastronomical landmarks of Seattle that I need to visit (or revisit) before I leave.

Thus far:

Harvest Vine

Lark

As much sausage from Uli's that I can stomach

As much Vietnamese food as I can stomach

Everything @ Cafe Besalu

Union (never been)

Blackened salmon sandwich from Marketplace Grill ( I don't like the new owners :hmmm: but the food is still good)

That's as far as I've gotten.

Any suggestions would be lovely :smile:

Well for sure our seafood is different from Atlantic seafood so I a would eat as much as possible of that before I left...

the rest you are going to find all you want of in NY!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

this is hard you know because where you are going has pretty fantastic food you are not going to want for anything! besides if you get homesick it is not that far to come back!!!

are you moving to the city?

Piglet 

Eat at Salumi, but otherwise skip Italian food and focus on other things in Seattle because you'll get tons of great Italian food in New York.

Though New York has most everything, I'd say go all out on sushi and other Japanese food while you're still in town, especially at Nishino and old family-style places like Maneki.

Also don't skip La Carta de Oaxaca!

this is hard you know because where you are going has pretty fantastic food you are not going to want for anything! besides if you get homesick it is not that far to come back!!!

are you moving to the city?

No, I'm actually moving to Poughkeepsie/Hyde Park to go to CIA. I'll be a little removed from the city. Hour and a half by train. I'll be able to get there for the weekend but for the most part it's going to be what we eat at school (which is probably going to be fantastic, really) and what I cook at home. Judging by the fact that most students gain 15 pounds in the first year (something crazy like that) I'm probably going to be doing most of my eating at school. And it's going to be rich.

But I digress, it's still not going to be good 'ol Seattle food. Home.

I can't believe I forgot Salumi and those mini doughnuts.

If you like hot-smoked salmon then be sure to eat as much as you can before you leave, or learn to smoke it yourself. It's almost unheard of on the east coast, where cold-smoked Atlantic salmon is king.

Dungeness crab is also hard to find, except for a few places in Chinatown in NYC.

Geoduck is another one.

In terms of produce, I can't think of much of anything Pike Place has that isn't also available at the Union Square market. Much of that comes from the Hudson River valley, so you should have good access to those same producers at the CIA.

As much as I love Nishino, I wouldn't make it a required stop. If you go to next-door Nobu when you are in the city you will be amazed how many similar dishes are on the menu.

Good cheap Mexican is not as widely available as it is here, so hit your favorite taco truck(s) before you go.

Best of luck at the CIA.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

go have a huge bowl of duck pho in White Center

?????!!?! That sounds great! Where can you get that?

it is great they give you a big bowl of pho with a duck leg in it ..cilantro and egg noodles instead of the rice noodles ... (now I need to make a White Center run!)

I believe this is the address.. it is right on the main drag of White Center (there are two pho joints in the same area so check the menus to make sure they have the duck)

I know a Seattle chef who sneaks in there periodically for just such a bowl !

personally I can not resist it ...just down the street is the Salvadoran bakery as well so stop there for pastries coffee or bread

enjoy and good luck at school!!!

this is south of SSCC

Pho White Center

9642 16th Ave SW

Seattle, WA 98106

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

Marky Marc:

A bit OT, but I have to ask: Will you be blogging your CIA experiences? PLEASE? :biggrin:

Reminiscent of Malawry's highly popular blog of her year at L’academie de Cuisine.... It starts here.

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Marky Marc:

A bit OT, but I have to ask: Will you be blogging your CIA experiences?  PLEASE?  :biggrin:

Reminiscent of Malawry's highly popular blog of her year at L’academie de Cuisine....  It starts here.

HA! Oddly enough her and I seem to be in a similar situation. I'm essensially going there to try and find something about food writing, like herself. I hadn't thought about blogging my experiences there but now that you mention it........... I'll think about it.

Wasn't there some other kid on here that did the same thing?

Agreed with vengroff -- eat as much Mexican food as you can before you go.  There is no (well, hardly any) Mexican food in NY, other than Azteca-like places.  Especially outside of the city.

In particular, if I were departing these green shores, I would avail myself of fish tacos before I left.

Robin Tyler McWaters

• 2 weeks later...