• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ristorante del Porto

TAPrice

I gathered together a crew last Friday and we ventured across the world's longest bridge to check out Ristorante del Porto on the Northshore. I hadn't been since before the storm, when I wrote a review for Gambit. It's a bigger location now, and the food is just amazing.

It's light and carefully crafted. The quality of ingredients is stellar. I wish that I had made notes afterwards, because I can't remember enough details a week later. Everybody else should go and come back with a report. Or maybe I should go again as an excuse to make some detailed notes. :laugh:

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

My wife and I ate there a few months ago and we were underwhelmed. I am not sure if I had just built it up so much because we have heard it is the best Italian in the city north or south of the pond, or if it was an off night. Don't get me wrong, it was not bad, it just did not live up to my expectations.

It has been a while since we went, but I remember the appetizers being ok - good but not WOW. The real stand out was the pasta. We split an order of a lamb bolognese, and it was stellar. The biggest issue we had was with the entrees. I had the short ribs and they were mediorcre at best, and my wife had scallops. The scallops were cooked perfectly and they were topped with a meyer lemon compote which was also good, but then they stuck them on mashed potatoes and the potatoes just muddied up the dish.

We found the staff friendly and our waitress in particular was very knowledgeable about both the menu and the wine list. Speaking of the list, it is a great Italian list. Small but well crafted.

It is funny that this is posted today, because we drove by the restaurant last night and both said that we would give it another try, just maybe concentrate on the pastas this time.

Can anyone give more background on the place? Whose behind it, the chef? Menu descriptions?

I'm curious because I gave up thinking that someone would ever do a modern Italian menu in the area. Everything seemed to be the same "Brooklyn" italian food.

Timh, I lived in Salem MA for 6 years and was excited to try Del Porto. I was holding out that someone in New Orleans could cook exciting Italian food. Not that other Italian joints are bad, just not exciting. I was spoiled being so close to Boston and the North End.

Unfortunately, I can't give you the details you are looking for, but as I said in my previous post, I would go again.

Edited by syoung68 (log)