• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

large group midweek happy hour

mrbigjas

OK a get-together for happy hour, of a tuesday evening in mid-august. A group of 15-16 people from various organizations in the area who all work in the same field, getting together to ostensibly talk business and the trials and tribulations we all face, but just as much to all get to know each other and be all convivial and have some drinks and whatnot.

people will be coming from fairmount, from old city, from south broad, from downtown. so really the more centrally located the better.

our initial thought was mcgillins, since they have the upstairs room. but tuesday night is wing night at mcgillins, which is apparently very popular, and they don't think they can handle our group. we had a thought of a room at an inexpensive restaurant -- like vietnam palace, which has an upstairs room where we could drink 33s and gorge for a while -- and that's still a possibility but one that runs the risk of not having that kind of welcoming, out-for-drinks-with-colleagues kind of feel to it. this is supposed to be social as well as business, after all.

anyone have other ideas? friendly bar type atmosphere, but has some kind of semi-separate room that is not so crowded that we couldn't snag it at happy hour time?

I'd try the Cantina in South Philly. Either the bar side in the back near the kitchen or the giant table back near the bathrooms. I'm not sure how many it seats, but it's more than 10.

Or for more centrally located, The Continental in Old City. If they still open their back bar for happy hour. I haven't been in awhile, but there used to never be anyone back there before 7pm.

-- Alec

hey thanks! putting aside my horror at the usual irish pub scene*, it would be perfect for something like this if it was off-hours. and i haven't been to the public house, but it's pretty big, so i bet they could work something out.

the cantina is a little far--but i wonder if your suggestion of the continental would hold true for the one on 18th street, alec. it's a pretty big place, but i don't know about private rooms. that would be fun, if they do have them.

anyway, i'll pass these along, and we'll see what folks think.

*(except for the christmas night scene, which i highly recommend for awesome peoplewatching, everyone dressed up from christmas dinner and drunked up on christmas wine, blowing off steam after spending a few days with their families, out and looking to score even more desperately than usual. it's great; i can't recommend it highly enough.)

Ludwig's Garten, right next to McGillins, especially the larger formal bar, just a beautiful room, and really good bar food. Ask for Mary Ellen.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

rich, is that part of the bar semi-private?

I'm suddenly unsure of whether they want to have it in an actual private room or not.

how about that place tir na nog at 16th & arch? that's big.

anyway, i've passed these ideas along to the organizers, but of course am open to listening to others; I will report back on what they decide.

rich, is that part of the bar semi-private?

I'm suddenly unsure of whether they want to have it in an actual private room or not. 

how about that place tir na nog at 16th & arch?  that's big.

anyway, i've passed these ideas along to the organizers, but of course am open to listening to others; I will report back on what they decide.

Tir Na Nog is a great bar... ask for Rich, he is one of the bar managers there, (and a great quizmaster at the Candlewyck on Wednesdays to boot).

Dark Horse pub on Headhouse Square has a nice selection of smaller to larger rooms that could be used to accomodate people.

Dark Horse pub on Headhouse Square has a nice selection of smaller to larger rooms that could be used to accomodate people.

I second that, we had an office xmas party there a couple years ago and the multiple small rooms they have there are perfect for this kind of thing. The food is decent, I like Tir Na Nog better though.

for centrally located, what about tequila's? we've had a couple of work happy hours there and it's worked out well... the bar is rarely crowded (we haven't gone to the trouble of getting a private room) and they do decent pitchers of margaritas. it's more about location and atmosphere than anything else.

oh, and I have my own question about work-related happy hours, probably also for a crowd of 15-20. my office is in the suburbs, but some of us occasionally meet up downtown for happy hour. except we never make it to "real" happy hour specials (5-7PM) because almost no one leaves the office before 6 and it's a 30-45 min. drive back to the city. so my question (a two-parter) is,

(1) are there any happy hour specials in town that run a little later than 7? I know twenty21 has two happy hours, 5-7 and 9-11, so I might try and organize something for my office targeted at the late happy hour one day. they have various drink specials and I think free hors d'oeuvres.

(2) any recommendations for good happy hours near plymouth meeting/conshohocken?

Edited by Diann (log)

(2) any recommendations for good happy hours near plymouth meeting/conshohocken?

The Boathouse in Conshohocken has a great bar atmosphere.

You could all gather at the sushi bar at Bluefin, lots of opportunity to chat (and BYO)

A little further away, the Drafting Room is Springhouse has loads of drink/beer/food specials at happy hour.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

mrbigjas/Diann,

If you have anything specific in mind, let me know via PM.  I would be happy to make space in the courtyard or inside and cook up some good happy hour food!

Townsend Wentz

Twenty21

Now that's eGullet in action!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

i have been planning a few happy hours for the numbers you cite , but we don't have any business to chat about, just general whatnot.

Tir Na Nog is our next stop, after we did the patio at Mexican Post a few weeks ago. Mind you, MexiPost will not reserve you a " quiet corner" of the patio but inside I am confident that you'd have ample space to be by yourself. Its decent...that's about it (margs are from the tap?? huh? I mean they add the tequila later, but really).

Another option for our gang was Nodding Head - I'm wondering if they could reserve a few tables for you. Would their delicious beer be a draw for some in your crowd?

The option of Twenty21 is a good one I think esp with the kind courtesy of the previous poster.

whatever you do...please report back! I need notes to tuck away for future use.

What about Good Dog? They have a couple upstairs rooms, happy hour specials, and good food.

In the past, I've also been to happy hour at Loie where they gave our group either the front area, or the midsection of the restaurant (up a few steps) and arranged drink specials for our group.

I would also recommend Sole Food at the Loew's hotel. They can give you one of the large tables in the bar area, or a cordoned off area of the couches. Their happy hour specials used to be pretty decent for cocktails (you may need to check on that).

If you want supa dupa cheap... call Tritone or Bob & Barbara's!

Or, hey, I hear that Chick's Wine Bar has a new rockin' bartender!

• 2 weeks later...

ok reporting back: due to a funeral i was upstate that day, so i ended up not going.

but they went to irish pub @ 20th & walnut. reports were that on the plus side, the atmosphere was nice enough, they were more than accommodating with the group and everything went smoothly. on the minus side it was kind of hard to hear, and the only food group available was fried.

after a reconnaissance with twenty21, the organizer decided it was a little formal for our first meeting, but we may hook it up in the future.

thanks to all.