• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Need Restaurant Rec

Donia

My husband and I are driving to Austin tomorrow specifically to grocery shop. We live in Killeen and have decided to start doing a once monthly shopping trip in Austin for the variety of products not found here. We usually end up going to Whole Foods and Fiesta, but we're venturing to Sun Harvest this time. We are on a budget and I am specifically looking for affordable, healthy foods. The day will be a splurge for me as far as my eating is concerned and I want to try someplace new. My husband is not as adventurous as I am and does not eat seafood at all. I am looking for a place that is affordable, but good. Any type of cuisine is fine. Any suggestions?

I'd recommend Central Market over Whole Foods as well...if you're feeling adventurous there's also the MT Supermarket on North Lamar, a huge place full of exotic Asian ingredients.

As far as restaurants it's tough to make a recommendation without more specifics...I like Vespaio Enoteca for affordable Italian and El Sol y La Luna for "healthier" Mexican, both are on South Congress where there are lots of other shops to explore if you're interested in doing that as well.