• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OK to sharpen a Global with mineral oil?

WiscoNole

Perhaps the subject doesn't say it all! Perhaps you need to elaborate.... I'm assuming you are talking about sharpening with Global stones and you are not talking about sharpening Global knives?

Global says to use water with their stones. You want to use water with a waterstone. There are carborundum stones that are designed for use with oil but most types recommend using water. I would not take issue with using a very light oil on a ceramic stone, though flushing metal particles from a stone may be easier accomplished with water. As for what would be "OK": Mayonnaise.

Edited by Scargo (log)

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Do NOT use oil on water stones.  Wetstones is "wet".  Nobody says wet _______ down with oil.  If it doesn't say "oil stone" on the box, don't use oil of any kind light, dark, thick or thin.  You will ruin the stone.

I have a Norton stone that I've used oil on for years; is that OK? It doesn't seem to be ruined at all.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

If the stone is a waterstone (like Globals' are) then water is what should be used. I can't say that oil will do any harm or not but the stone has been formulated to work with water, and since water is (almost free) and certainly less messy it sure seems to be the way to go.

As for Norton stones it all depends on what type of stone you have as they make both oil and water stones.

Something worth noting is that you can't use water after you used oil as the stone will reject the water. If you've already done this you either have to stick with the oil or toss the stone and get another to use with water.

--Dave--

Thanks Dave and Octaveman, that is what I thought. I have both a waterstone which I use for my Japanese knives and a whetstone which I use for the German knives; I use oil on the latter stone. I think it was in a Jacques Pepin video where he said once you use oil, you cannot switch to water.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"