• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

zoe b

I love Tupperware......

1 minute ago, kayb said:

My first thought on the canned ham holder was that it'd be ideal to hold a roast chicken, if it's big enough.

they actually made a container for a roast chicken....l had one!

Unfortunately it took up a half shelf in the fridge.

10 hours ago, kayb said:

Remember how the pieces you used and washed over and over would get sticky?

We had those Tupperware tumblers. I loved them. Mama also had at least one of ever bowl they made, I think. And one of us had the grating/slicing thing; I don't remember ever using the grater/slicer, but we used the dish and its accompanying cover a good bit.

My first thought on the canned ham holder was that it'd be ideal to hold a roast chicken, if it's big enough.

The stickiness and scratches is why I can never bring myself to buy used Tupperware.  I loved the tumblers, but they don't sell the same ones anymore, sadly.  That ham holder was BIG and deep.  I'm already sorry I didn't keep it.  

I remember giggling when I first learned about "burping" them.  

Funny this came up, as I just ordered these   EBAY (  Tupperware Funnels )

Great for putting wine back in Bottles  ( WT--who does that any hoot  :)  )

49064945842_3b59184d5b_c.jpg

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

The stickiness and scratches is why I can never bring myself to buy used Tupperware.  I loved the tumblers, but they don't sell the same ones anymore, sadly.  That ham holder was BIG and deep.  I'm already sorry I didn't keep it.  

Try a soak in Oxiclean - I have rehabilitated some sad white Tupperware with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, Kim Shook said:

Resurrecting yet another thread to show some stuff I found at my grandmother's house.  I didn't keep them.  They are all brand new - never used.  My Grandma Jean couldn’t any more go to a direct sales party hosted by one of her friends and not buy something than she could have gone to church in her nightgown.  So, we found a few weird, unused pieces.  A canned ham holder:

It was HUGE.  For those really big canned hams:

LOL.  I don’t remember her ever serving a canned ham. 

An absolutely useless looking shredding/slicing/grating/storing piece:

The top flipped over to offer other options.  I can’t imagine that it would have stayed sharp very long. 

The last was a container to make/store a fancy looking congealed salad in:

DSCN0307.JPG.2782eab9bce1155512e92e87075d2afb.JPG

She never used anything but a Pyrex baking dish to make her congealed salads in. 

A while ago I was looking to buy one of these.  I had this one and a smaller one but gave them away when we moved.

DH disliked anything Jello so I wasn’t using them.

i particularly like a lime  jello salad with carrot and pineapple and wanted to make the recipe.  No luck finding a proper sized mold.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

A while ago I was looking to buy one of these.  I had this one and a smaller one but gave them away when we moved.

DH disliked anything Jello so I wasn’t using them.

i particularly like a lime  jello salad with carrot and pineapple and wanted to make the recipe.  No luck finding a proper sized mold.

I really wish now that I'd saved all the unused stuff.  I would mail it to you if I had!

• Like 1