• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I love Tupperware

zoe b

1 minute ago, kayb said:

My first thought on the canned ham holder was that it'd be ideal to hold a roast chicken, if it's big enough.

they actually made a container for a roast chicken....l had one!

Unfortunately it took up a half shelf in the fridge.

10 hours ago, kayb said:

Remember how the pieces you used and washed over and over would get sticky?

We had those Tupperware tumblers. I loved them. Mama also had at least one of ever bowl they made, I think. And one of us had the grating/slicing thing; I don't remember ever using the grater/slicer, but we used the dish and its accompanying cover a good bit.

My first thought on the canned ham holder was that it'd be ideal to hold a roast chicken, if it's big enough.

The stickiness and scratches is why I can never bring myself to buy used Tupperware.  I loved the tumblers, but they don't sell the same ones anymore, sadly.  That ham holder was BIG and deep.  I'm already sorry I didn't keep it.  

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

The stickiness and scratches is why I can never bring myself to buy used Tupperware.  I loved the tumblers, but they don't sell the same ones anymore, sadly.  That ham holder was BIG and deep.  I'm already sorry I didn't keep it.  

Try a soak in Oxiclean - I have rehabilitated some sad white Tupperware with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, Kim Shook said:

Resurrecting yet another thread to show some stuff I found at my grandmother's house.  I didn't keep them.  They are all brand new - never used.  My Grandma Jean couldn’t any more go to a direct sales party hosted by one of her friends and not buy something than she could have gone to church in her nightgown.  So, we found a few weird, unused pieces.  A canned ham holder:

It was HUGE.  For those really big canned hams:

LOL.  I don’t remember her ever serving a canned ham. 

An absolutely useless looking shredding/slicing/grating/storing piece:

The top flipped over to offer other options.  I can’t imagine that it would have stayed sharp very long. 

The last was a container to make/store a fancy looking congealed salad in:

DSCN0307.JPG.2782eab9bce1155512e92e87075d2afb.JPG

She never used anything but a Pyrex baking dish to make her congealed salads in. 

A while ago I was looking to buy one of these.  I had this one and a smaller one but gave them away when we moved.

DH disliked anything Jello so I wasn’t using them.

i particularly like a lime  jello salad with carrot and pineapple and wanted to make the recipe.  No luck finding a proper sized mold.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

A while ago I was looking to buy one of these.  I had this one and a smaller one but gave them away when we moved.

DH disliked anything Jello so I wasn’t using them.

i particularly like a lime  jello salad with carrot and pineapple and wanted to make the recipe.  No luck finding a proper sized mold.

I really wish now that I'd saved all the unused stuff.  I would mail it to you if I had!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Here.

Shares in US firm have fallen almost 50% this week and stock exchange says it is in danger of being delisted.

Do you have any stories to share?

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I saw the predictions. I've never owned any or been to a Tupperware party. I laughed when my cabinetmaker/designer said "and this is convenemtly where the Tupperware storage will go". Dude! I realize it was a major sales party independent income thing for women like Mary Kay Cosmetics. No tears here.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

and this is convenemtly where the Tupperware storage will go

Proving beyond a shadow of a doubt just how ubiquitous it was! 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Proving beyond a shadow of a doubt just how ubiquitous it was! 

Indeed.  Like Kleenex, Tupperware seems to describe the whole category - in this case, storage containers. 
I never had any of the real deal Tupperware but I absolutely have a Tupperware drawer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Indeed.  Like Kleenex, Tupperware seems to describe the whole category - in this case, storage containers. 
I never had any of the real deal Tupperware but I absolutely have a Tupperware drawer!

My daughters are in their late 20's and are university educated. When I told them what actual Tupperware was and how there used to be parties to buy it at, they laughed convulsively about "what a wild night out - lets go buy some plastic containers - yee haw!" Cheeky brats. I have always called all the plastic containers tupperware and I have a tupperware drawer that they grew up with but they honestly did not know that Tupperware was a brand name.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Haha 2

Very early in the first year of medical school one of the students had a Tupperware party. I wanted one of those little citrus peeling tools which is one of their giveaways so I attended. Made a batch of sushi (just maki rolls with no raw fish). Not one single person (all female of course - it was after all a Tupperware party) touched it. 

Took remaining to class the next day and was able to discover there were a few foodies in my class. They were the ones I hung with for the rest of the 4 years. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I admit to having had a Tupperware addiction somewhere in the eighties.

We had a woman at work who'd hold parties there.  I ended up with lots of it.  Over the years and with a couple of moves involved I shed a lot of the less useful items.  However, I found after my last moved that I really missed some of those pieces and discovered that they are still available through Amazon.

Tupperware

They're certainly not cheap.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lindag said:

They're certainly not cheap.

As I recall they were never cheap! I hated the parties but allowed myself to be pressured into attending one or two. Most of what was for sale was out of my reach but there was always a giveaway. The citrus peeler mentioned above was the gizmo we were all hoping to get. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd thought Tupperware was a thing of the past until last summer, when I ran across a Tupperware sales booth at a Farmers' Market. I was  surprised to see how their products had changed as far as sturdiness and design. I was also surprised to learn that they had some sort of return / exchange program in the name of sustainability. If I could find some of my mother's older pieces that I no longer used, regardless of their condition, I could return them and get some sort of exchange credit for newer items. I didn't follow through and have forgotten the details, but it was an interesting idea. I wonder how much that added to their debt load when they couldn't afford it.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Very early in the first year of medical school one of the students had a Tupperware party. I wanted one of those little citrus peeling tools which is one of their giveaways so I attended. Made a batch of sushi (just maki rolls with no raw fish). Not one single person (all female of course - it was after all a Tupperware party) touched it. 

Took remaining to class the next day and was able to discover there were a few foodies in my class. They were the ones I hung with for the rest of the 4 years. 

Three plastic storage bowls for $59? And the Tupperware copy suggests you use them as serving bowls? That $59 would cover my portion of sushi  at a restaurant and be a lot more fun! In with @MaryIsobel's daughters on this one.

I only buy Tupperware at thrift stores these days - and I must confess the only pieces that call out to me are the old transparent/whitish pieces that my mother had. Pretty sure I've still got a few pieces that were hers. Oxyclean does a fabulous job restoring them to their former glory. 

• Like 2

Some ladies have a Tupperware stall at a local flea market.    I found a clear plastic tumbler suitable for the bathroom, where I avoid glass.    Asked the price.      $5.    FOR A PLASTIC GLASS!     I guess I'm behind the times but I thought that was outrageous.   Passed on it.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Anyone remember being taught how to knock out the core of an iceberg lettuce before storing it in their lettuce bowl?

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Anyone remember being taught how to knock out the core of an iceberg lettuce before storing it in their lettuce bowl?

My mother heard about it and we tried it at home: whack the whole head, core first, on the counter or sink edge. It was supposed to knock the core loose so you could pull it out. Now that you mention it, I think she had a "lettuce storage" bowl with a conic center to hold the cored lettuce head in place. Is some Tupperware recommendation where she learned that trick, I wonder?

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

32 minutes ago, Smithy said:

My mother heard about it and we tried it at home: whack the whole head, core first, on the counter or sink edge. It was supposed to knock the core loose so you could pull it out. Now that you mention it, I think she had a "lettuce storage" bowl with a conic center to hold the cored lettuce head in place. Is some Tupperware recommendation where she learned that trick, I wonder?

Pretty sure this is the one I recall. Here.

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Pretty sure this is the one I recall. Here.

Yup. This one has the spiky thingie insert I remember, although I believe hers was the green yours showed. It's hard to believe my mother ever would have purchased something like that, given her thrifty nature. Maybe it was a gift.

• Like 1