• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I love Tupperware

zoe b

Ok, I'll admit it, I love Tupperware. It's such a quintessentially American product--a combination of ingenuity, flim flam, a chance to better yourself, and all seasoned with a little religion--the Dale Carnegie kind.

Plus, Tupperware just happens to be great stuff--I have thirty year old Tupperware that's as good as new--and just as efficient at keeping foods fresh as the day it was bought.

There is an interesting documentary that I saw on PBS last summer--

Tupperware Film

I highly recommend it--has lots about the early days, power struggles, a wonderful female fireball named Brownie Wise who worked at Tupperware, and was ousted, and super vintage film of corny and sybaritic Jubilees for the Tupperware ladies.

I don't think I've ever attended a Tupperware party, and hardly ever buy new Tupperware, but I have tons of it--I find it at thrift stores. It is, mostly, in the Harvest colors--orange, paprika, avocado and gold--man, there's a ton of that stuff around.

I generally just find it by chance, but sometimes I NEED a certain item--as right now, my 1 cup measuring cup has disappeared--and I've been hunting on ebay for a new set--and seeing all kinds of nifty items I now NEED, also.

orange measuring cups

These are my measuring cups--they also come in lime green--I'm thinking I'd like them, but will probably go for the cheapest as i don't really have a "color" in my kitchen.

dressing shaker

This shaker I did actually buy new--in blue--as something happened to my old one, and I rely on this to keep salad dressing in--I know you are supposed to lovingly make it fresh each time, but it's darn convenient to be able to mix up enough for a week--and the seal keeps it nice and fresh.

steamer

I just picked up a second one of these yesterday at the thrift--this is fab for nuke/steaming veggies--does a great job--also for heating tortillas. I will either ebay it or give it to my daughter if she wants it.

Tupperware always had great design--but in recent years has gotten self conscious about it--not always a successful move--some of the new designs are a bit silly, they even have design contest each year now

Tupperware design contest

But there was a great 90's designer who died not too long ago--can't remember his name and couldn't google it--he designed the steamer above, and he also designed these cute s&P shakers. I don't have these, but I do have two bottles that look like them--they hold about eight ounces--I use one for soy sauce, the other for my syrups I put on yogurt.

salt & pepper

Speaking of silly, in a good way, I found these in my measuring cup hunt--my new Holy Grail in Tupperware--they just crack me up---

fun salt & pepper

So, anyone else love the Tup? Want to share your favorites? Talk about your experiences?

Zoe

Zoe, my mom is woman after your own heart. I think my mom still has Tupperware back when I was in diapers (37 years ago). My mom adores Tupperware and still have pieces like the Cake stand, party set server and the picnic basket. If I was back in Manila, I could post pics of her beloved Tupperware treasures.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Doddie--

It would be neat to share Tupperware love with your Mom!

At first I was surprised to hear from you that tupperware has been in the Phillipines for so long--but it makes sense--I have a Phillipina friend and from what she tells me, the US was a huge presence there after WWII, and americanization was a big push--american commerce a big part of that--Mickey Mouse and all!

Your Mom has some fancy pieces--is this the cake stand she has?

cake stand

I love it! I did just acquire a cake taker--and it's great--it really keeps a cake or dessert fresh for a long time.

Zoe

I actually had no idea how much stuff that Tupperware still made, untill I caught

awhile ago.. I really need to get one of those cups :laugh:

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

I love tupperware too. I have some vintage pieces that I like a lot.

We sell vintage kitchenware(and collectibles) on Ebay and we once sold a set of those vintage measuring cups( I think our set was yellow) for 22.50. Pretty good considering we paid 10 cents for them.

The last thing I bought was a mini bowl keychainon ebay.(this isnt the one I bought, but its similar) Its perfect to store a few tylenol.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Zoe, that's my Mom's cake stand!!!! OMG, it's actually the same color. I remember my mom baking Angel cake and Chiffon cakes and using that stand to serve it in. She also has those make-your-own-popsicles thingies cups and an assortment of tupperware drinking glasses. When I grew up, I always got the yellow drinking glass.

CaliPoutine - that's a very whimsical keychain! I'd love to get one but have no idea if eBay ships to Korea (well, don't have a credit card as well so I guess it's moot to order them).

My folks used tupperware s&p shakers on camping trips. A generation later, we used the tupperware 'glasses' (the ones with lids) to teach the munchkin to drink from a cup. I really like TW. I have a cylindrical canister I 'borrowed' from my folks when I moved out some decades ago. They'd had it since I was a young child. Its not so pretty any more, but its still fully functional and keeps the ants & moisture out of the sugar. The rest of the collection came from thrift stores and garage sales, and is far from complete.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

KLwood said--

I actually had no idea how much stuff that Tupperware still made, untill I caught This Act

awhile ago.. I really need to get one of those cups 

oh, thanks for posting about Dixie--I'd read about her in the NYT and couldn't find the article to add to this!! Gwwz, she is a riot--and I think in the article it said that she's one of the big sellers!

Glori said--

If you love Tupperware, read pages 154 and 155 of Patti Labelles "Labelle Cuisine" cookbook...Its hilarious.

heck--I sold that book without ever reading it--will borrow it from the lib--I guess you don't want to give a hint, Miss Tease?

CP said--

We sell vintage kitchenware(and collectibles) on Ebay and we once sold a set of those vintage measuring cups( I think our set was yellow) for 22.50. Pretty good considering we paid 10 cents for them.

The last thing I bought was a mini bowl keychainon ebay.(this isnt the one I bought, but its similar) Its perfect to store a few tylenol.

I have a bad feeling about the cups pricewise--I think I'm going to just wait for them to show up at the thrift--it's great that you got 22 bucks for the cups, but noway am I spending that much for them!

And there are often the little tupper chotchkies at the thrift--I always admire but don't buy--if anyone is looking for a particar something I'll watch for them--the bowl is the cutest!!

Domestic Goddess said--

and an assortment of tupperware drinking glasses. When I grew up, I always got the yellow drinking glass.

my sister has them--the sheer ones with the ridges? I've been thinking lately that I want them, too--what is the matter with me? I haven't had an obsession for awhile, but looks like one is coming on....

kouign aman said

A generation later, we used the tupperware 'glasses' (the ones with lids) to teach the munchkin to drink from a cup.

yeah we had them, too--and those lids work--I just use the bottoms now for holding essential oils and fragrance when i weigh them out for soapmaking--still good as new.

Zoe

I have a lot of Tupperware - for several years in the 70s I lived next door to a dealer who managed some huge parties and I often was hauled in to help with food. In return I was given many pieces.

I use several of the sugar dispensers - they are compact and handy for a lot of things other than sugar.

I still have the first piece I actually bought, the "celery" keeper.

One of my favorite odd ones is the Pick-A-Deli pickle/olive container with the integral lifter. I have several in various colors and they all get a lot of use.

I also have several of the various styles and colors of butter dishes from the 1-stick size to the 1-pound size.

They are great for storing and serving composed and molded butters (and flavored cream cheese, etc.) as they seal tightly so there is no flavor exchange.

I have about two-dozen of the tall parfait cups with lids and they are extremely handy, not just for desserts.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

And there are often the little tupper chotchkies at the thrift--I always admire but don't buy--if anyone is looking for a particar something I'll watch for them--the bowl is the cutest!!

Zoe - if you can get one for me and send it to me, I'll gladly send you the cost and the shipping. :smile:

I love my TW! I have a couple of pieces that my grandma had that are still as good as new, though they don't see as much use as my newer stuff. I swear by the Modular Mates to store my pantry goods - bugs in the flour (if it lasts that long) are no problem to deal with, and I can easily see how much I have. Love the rock n serve microwave wear - great for leftovers.

We had plenty of that harvest gold stuff around when I was a kid, along with all the swinging pastels (I particularly remember the narrow cylinder drinking glasses and bowls). My mom still has (and uses) all her TW, including a GIANT bowl (pastel yellow) that she always mixes stuffing in for Thanksgiving. One of my favorite pieces of hers was the iceberg lettuce keeper (in pastel green, of course), with the spike in the bottom to spear the head.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Has anyone here ever returned a defective piece to Tupperware?

Many decades ago my mom bought me one of those long green celery keepers that they don't make anymore and the lid has developed a crack in it. I'd like to get a new lid.

Do they still honor replacement of discontinued items? And what's the process?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

One of my favorite odd ones is the Pick-A-Deli pickle/olive container with the integral lifter. I have several in various colors and they all get a lot of use

Oh my yes! My dad still has one of those, and its always full of some interesting variant on olives.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Has anyone here ever returned a defective piece to Tupperware?

Many decades ago my mom bought me one of those long green celery keepers that they don't make anymore and the lid has developed a crack in it. I'd like to get a new lid.

Do they still honor replacement of discontinued items? And what's the process?

They should. Just call Tupperware customer service.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

They should. Just call Tupperware customer service.

you can also call your local Tupperware person--I lost the little flip cap on my shaker and she sent me a new one.

and as I was looking on ebay this morning to see if anything interesting is showing up (and there is--a guy is selling a huge collection of Tup--looks like a hundred different auctions--old & new--so check it out if you want anything unusual)

tupperware auctions

--I saw lots of pastry mats--I scored one of these last winter--but was disappointed when I used it--the dough stuck like mad to the mat--i had to scrape it off and re-roll--so does anyone use this? I somehow thought it was like a silicone mat and non-stick--not so!

just wanted to add--I'm on a Tupperware roll right now--just picked up a pickle keeper at the thrift for a buck! Yay!

Zoe

Edited by zoe b (log)

I have several pickle keepers.

Currently in use one with spiced crabapples, one with jumbo, garlic-stuffed olives, one with peppadews, one with homemade mixed pickles, one with pickled asparagus. There is another at the back of the shelf but I don't want to move a partially-set Jello mold to check it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 12 years later...

Resurrecting yet another thread to show some stuff I found at my grandmother's house.  I didn't keep them.  They are all brand new - never used.  My Grandma Jean couldn’t any more go to a direct sales party hosted by one of her friends and not buy something than she could have gone to church in her nightgown.  So, we found a few weird, unused pieces.  A canned ham holder:

DSCN0305.JPG.edfef1d195ce7b0b3c6e83758ed75485.JPG

It was HUGE.  For those really big canned hams:

DSCN0303.JPG.f9819b864c2fe65f4b8b57ab0f42b901.JPG

DSCN0304.JPG.8e1390f5acbda723dee0b8e09618b3a5.JPG

LOL.  I don’t remember her ever serving a canned ham. 

An absolutely useless looking shredding/slicing/grating/storing piece:

DSCN0306.JPG.63237e9cd54cffc512147dcad22a9e59.JPG

The top flipped over to offer other options.  I can’t imagine that it would have stayed sharp very long. 

The last was a container to make/store a fancy looking congealed salad in:

DSCN0307.JPG.2782eab9bce1155512e92e87075d2afb.JPG

She never used anything but a Pyrex baking dish to make her congealed salads in. 

• Like 6

My nearest neighbor actually sells the stuff.  Fed Ex and UPS are there delivering her orders all the time.  When she first moved in and invited me to a party, I thought maybe it was just a way to meet her new neighbors.  Nope, she has a least one party per year at her home and Lord knows how many she puts on elsewhere.  My late MIL was a tupperware queen.  When I got married she sent me three bowls from a set of six.  Told me, since the marriage was sudden she would wait and see how it worked out before sending the rest of the set. She's gone and we're still married and I found the rest of the damn set while cleaning out her house. The first three were  long  gone so I never did have the complete set at the same time.....

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

An absolutely useless looking shredding/slicing/grating/storing piece:

DSCN0306.JPG.63237e9cd54cffc512147dcad22a9e59.JPG

The top flipped over to offer other options.  I can’t imagine that it would have stayed sharp very long. 

My mom had one of those when I was a kid, and used it a lot for slaws and such. Goodness knows, it might still be in the back of one of her cupboards somewhere.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Tupperware is seen as an almost luxury product here in China, but is sold in tupperware shops, not parties. There's only one Party here, folks and don't you forget it!

I passed two such outlets today.

Of course, the same stuff is available everywhere else for half the price, but the less humble have to be seen in the right places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I used to have an extensive collection of this stuff too, but got rid of all but a couple pieces when we moved.

I had way too much of everything.  Now this house is filling up as well, just not with Tupperware.

• Haha 2

Remember how the pieces you used and washed over and over would get sticky?

We had those Tupperware tumblers. I loved them. Mama also had at least one of ever bowl they made, I think. And one of us had the grating/slicing thing; I don't remember ever using the grater/slicer, but we used the dish and its accompanying cover a good bit.

My first thought on the canned ham holder was that it'd be ideal to hold a roast chicken, if it's big enough.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com