• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Katie Loeb Steps Down

Chris Amirault

We announce with regret that Katie Loeb, long-time host in Pennsylvania and active member for years, has stepped down from her role as an eGullet Society host. We thank her for that volunteer service and look forward to her continued participation as emeritus staff (and as her vivacious self!).

To honor Katie's service, we've started this Member News topic. Please post your food- and drink-related reminiscences here.

My fondest memory of Katie was sitting directly across from her at StudioKitchen for this meal, at which we tasted, rolled our eyes heavenward, tasted again, sipped, talked a blue streak -- and beamed with joy. Her passion for food, drink, and the people who enjoy them is titanic and shall be missed among the volunteers.

Thanks, Katie!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I've met Katie a couple of times in person, a couple of years ago at the Pig Pickin' and recently at Tales of the Cocktail, but even if I hadn't, I'd feel I know her personally from her great posts. She also makes exquisite limoncello. See you in Cocktails, Katie!

Katie is an outstanding mixologist, a gracious host and a most entertaining dining companion.

A bunch of us meatheads had a fabulous time with Katie at the Picanha Grill recently -- and that was not the first time I've spent hours with her downing large amounts of cow and/or pig flesh, along with other stuff. Nor, I trust, will it be the last.

Given that she had a restaurant pulled out from under her not too long before this announcement, I hope that her retirement as Pennsylvania forum host is connected to promising developments and that I will be able to stop by "her bar" for a cocktail in the not too distant future.

In any case, let me offer my praise for her stewardship of the Pennsylvania board and my hope that she will remain an active and valued participant there too.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Katie's warm welcome is what encouraged me to post on eG after lurking for some time. Her hosting has always kept the PA forum a happy place 'where everybody knows your name".

Best wishes for a tasty future!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Ah yes. When life hands you lemons, make lemoncello.

Katie, you're a treasure. And I, too, will be watching for what great things are next up in your life.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The happy Pennsylvanians will all miss the sage leadership of Katie.

And in an effort to raise some dough, i hear Big Ed Rendell has agreed to lease the LCB to Katie for a tidy sum. The initials will remain the same, but the new title is Loeb Controls Boose.

Thanks Katie for always being helpful to the Lone Lancastrian.

Katie has been a voice of insight on this forum since nigh on its inception. I'll miss her steady hand of moderation, but I nevertheless look forward to continued informed, enthusiastic posts from our Chief Intoxicologist.

Katie,

I hope you will continue to post. I always enjoy your presence and always seem to learn something from your posts.

My best to you!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So sorry to read about your departure. I have enjoyed your postings since the very beginning. You are a joy to meet and to read.

Hope to see you again sometimes.

Good luck and best wishes and whatever you may be doing.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Katie encapsulted what seemed to me to be a close-to-perfect philosophy on eating or not eating bunnies in her posts in the Not a Sweet Little Bunny thread, and I admit that thoughts of Katie's pet bunny will haunt me forever and will prevent me from eating any future pet bunnies that may force their way into my home.

I had a pet bunny growing up. I now eat rabbit as an adult. It's not my rabbit though. I'm certain of it. That makes it OK.

Another post I distinctly remember (and one that will remain in memory) is when she posed the question of why are young inexperienced male sommeliers (in my mind they always dressed in Ralph Lauren and were strangely skinny) hired in certain restaurants rather than female sommeliers with possibly more knowledge. That question hung there like a balloon that had an inappropriate saying emblazoned across it . . . and like a balloon it finally disappeared into the distance to land wherever it will. I like that balloon she lofted in that question though, and though nobody attempted an answer, I'll keep the question somewhere in my mind. :smile:

She also seems to be an exceptionally pleasant person.

She deserves all good things and many of them.

Best to you, Katie. Don't be a stranger.

Katie, thanks for all your great work as a fellow host. I'm looking forward to continuing to read your posts and to see you and break bread with you again in the future.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've known Katie as a person of tremendous enthusiasm, wit, vivacity, and earthiness. I've met her in person on at least one occasion I can remember, though probably more than one -- an eGullet fundraising dinner at China 46 in New Jersey. She brought a Sept Grains wine that was an extraordinary tasting experience for me, chameleon-like. Her departure from eGullet staff is a tremendous loss to the organization, but I'm positive we'll be hearing more great news from her.

Michael aka "Pan"

Katie, I won't say farewell as I'm sure I'll not only see you again at an upcoming event, but that I will continue to be delighted by your wit, enthusiasm and genuine interest of this E-Gullet thing. I personally never imagined I would spend so much time on the various forums and your posts always add to the discussion.

Thanks for moderating the PA Forum and particularly, the style in which you chose to moderate. Let me know where you end up as I keep trying to get to your bar and bang you're gone or the place closes!

All the best...

Katie and I also shared a meal at Amma at least once when Suvir was the Chef and Hemant, the Sommelier. I recall that Katie had an interesting conversation with Hemant about his excellent wine pairings. Katie is always a pleasure to be with.

Michael aka "Pan"

Katie, I feel as though I met you! We came close, but it didn't happen. Yet. :smile: I'm still hoping that you and Lisa1349 (and maybe RP if he's a good boy) and I can get together at some great bar in Philly.

Thanks for all your Philly recommendations, especially Amada.

I wish you the best, and thanks for all you did for the eG community.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.