• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Cake books

currypuff

Anyone have suggestions for good wedding cake books?

I have Simple Art of Perfect Baking by Flo Braker and Wedding Cakes You

Can Make by Dede Wilson...

I've never made a wedding cake before, and would like some books on the

basics, as well as maybe some books about sugar art/flowers, etc...

If this was discussed in a previous thread, my apologies!

Thanks so much :raz:

Are you looking for recipes, or decorating ideas/instructions and construction tips?

The books you mention are two good ones. In terms of basic construction techniques, you might also want to check out Wilton's books and website - at least it can get you started.

Other suggestions: Toba Garrett's books have lots of techniques in them. Elisa Strauss of Confetti Cakes has a new book out - I paged through it at the bookstore and it had some nice designs (can't speak to the instructional/construction info, I didn't have time to read it all :biggrin:). Colette Peters has several books, but those are going to have more complex construction methods (lots of decorating ideas, though).

Hope that helps, and gfron is right - the wisdom of eGulleteers is an excellent resource!

I'm looking for both recipe books and decorating. An easy decorating book to get me started as I have zilch experience in sugar anything... also more ideas to decorate cakes other than fresh flowers or sugar flowers are appreciated.

Thanks for the links! Making a wedding cake looks like it is hard work!

I'm looking for both recipe books and decorating. An easy decorating book to get me started as I have zilch experience in sugar anything

The Well-Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett has good step-by-step instructions on decorating basics.

The Cake Bible is a good resource for recipes; there's another version of this book coming out next year. Colette Peters' books are good decorating resources, and Margaret Braun's Cakewalk is in the advanced decorating category and might be a little much for a novice. Dede Wilson has another, earlier book that is geared to the home cook wanting to make a wedding cake - I think the title is The Wedding Cake Book.

If you're looking for basic recipes, decorating ideas, and methods, maybe take a stroll down the cake-book shelf at your local library? Just search for "cake decorating" in the catalog and it should point you to the right section... my library has a pretty good range of books, from Betty Crocker's decorating tips to cupcake books to Colette Peters and Dede Wilson, so you might find a good range of instructional books to start with. Good luck!