• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berry puree for cheesecake

kalyson

I tried to make a berry puree for my cheesecake. I used frozen berries, sugar and water and blended in a blender. The berry flavor was not intense -- seemed kinda watery even though I used little water. Does someone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Kris

Thaw the berries in a colander and reduce the juices, then puree the berries if you want. You can add some sugar when you reduce the juices if you think it needs it. Sometimes a little lemon juice is a good thing. RLB uses this technique for strawberries and raspberries - it works with blackberries and cherries too (if you can find IQF cherries)

With frozen berries, don't add water. Add additional spice according to your preferences: I like clove, cardamom, and cinnamon, and a little lemon. Blueberries should always taste spicey. But I wonder why you are using frozen berries: this is July, National Blueberry Month. Fresh berries are everywhere, and would give you a fresher tasting product. My Webpage

No water, sugar, lemon peel, pinch salt, splash of good brandy - blend, strain and if needed cook down or try a little corn starch in cold water to thicken while heating.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I agree no water and you have to cook/slightly sweeten and thicken the berries to make a puree that works with a cake of anykinc ...both raspberries and blueberries intensify brighten when you cook them

personally I dont care for spices or lemon juice with berries they are so good the way they are!!!

but cardamom and blueberries I would try!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Never add cornflour.

Your wanting the taste of the berries to compliment the cheesecake, maybe avoid a taste conflict by having to many flovours. Keep it simple, keep it good

Just add your frozen berries in a pot/pan with a little bit of water (the water will evaporate so dont worry) then boil until it has thickened a little.

You can blend the coulis with a hand held blender or whatever other type of blender thing you have. Strain if necessary and taste. It will taste slightly differently when it has cooled. You may need to adjust taste with lemon juice. Shouldnt need to add any sugar because it has been concentrated a little bit, but your tongue will tell you this.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I did notice that without adding water the puree was so thick that I could not get the blender to even blend it. But I'll try the different ideas that are posted here.

Thanks!

--Kris

With frozen berries, don't add water. Add additional spice according to your preferences: I like clove, cardamom, and cinnamon, and a little lemon. Blueberries should always taste spicey. But I wonder why you are using frozen berries: this is July, National Blueberry Month. Fresh berries are everywhere, and would give you a fresher tasting product. My Webpage

Because I was wanting the more intense flavor of the wild berries. I've tried cooking with domesticated blueberries (tarts, and so forth) and the flavor is pretty bland. I even tried organic.....

--K