• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fishmonger in Durham?

I think there's one called Capital Seafood on University Drive. There's also one in Cary on the corner of Chatham and Maynard -- I think it's called the Sea Depot. Don't forget about the two big Asian supermarkets in Cary, as they both have fantastic seafood departments.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I think there's one called Capital Seafood on University Drive.  There's also one in Cary on the corner of Chatham and Maynard -- I think it's called the Sea Depot.  Don't forget about the two big Asian supermarkets in Cary, as they both have fantastic seafood departments.

Great! Thanks for the information. I know about the Asian market on Buck Jones, where is the other one?

I think there's one called Capital Seafood on University Drive.

Capital Seafood is okay -- I've had terrible luck with their oysters, but if you'd like something that they don't normally carry (like mahi mahi), you can give them a call and they'll have it for you the next day. They are really nice, even if they don't carry the best product.

However, I just down university, I've gotten very good oysters, for a very good price from the red and white. They are pretty good butchers, and while they don't get any small-operation meats, you can find some really fine prime cuts there from feed-lot stock, which some might enjoy.

And originally, I thought you might be referring to the restaurant Fishmongers, which supposedly sells retail as well. See this thread: Food Lover's Guide to the Triangle