• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Al Enoteca, Canale, Piedmont

Sampaguita

CIAO to all E-Gullet Italy readers, it’s been some time since we posted I suppose we have been quite busy but we would like to make the effort to resume our culinary discussions with this review of the Al Enoteca Restaurant. Normally we go for the smaller and less pricey osterie and trattorie, which this area of Italy abounds in, and our guests love, however we decided to try out a more fancy and elegant restaurant as a treat for us and to share with EG forum.

The Enoteca Restaurant, as the name implies, is co-located with the Enoteca Regionale di Roero, in Canale, around 20 minutes from our house on the scenic back road between Asti and Alba. The Roero, as you may know, is the other central Piedmontese wine area on the west of the Tanaro river, not as famous as the Langhe and Monferrato but producing good (and reasonably cost) wines such as Roero Arneis (white), Nebbiolo d’Alba (red), Barbera’s (both d’Alba and d’Asti) and Bonarda (Cisterna d’Asti DOC).

The restaurant is on the first floor of the Enoteca building, in the centre of Canale, next to the old porticoed Via Roma shopping street. The decor is quite modern and elegant, although I personally prefer more traditional styles.

I decided to have the menu degustazione classico and Tim elected to go with a menu selection. On special that day was a mixed sashimi antipasti, which was tempting, but we decided that we wanted to try out the Piedmontese specialities. Here are out tasting memories:

Antipasti

* A selection of mixed antipasti tidbits, including a delicious and palate cleansing shrimp cocktail with fresh made tomato sauce, and a cone of goat’s cheese flavoured with blueberry.

* “Il Fassone dalla testa ai piedi” literally a selection of meats from head to toe : 3 slices of tongue – loved it; tripes, shredded with a smear of green sauce, I wouldn’t have even known what it was without asking; carne crudo, not usually my preference, but it literally melted in my mouth; prosciutto type of belly meat marinated in mustard and lastly the hoof made into a jelly and deepfried, this was so good.

* “Calamari aglio-olio e peporoncino, polenta bianca grezza”, very simple, yet the calamari was exquisitely soft and mouth melting sitting on a bed of white polenta making a great combination.

Primo

* Ravioli stuffed with 3 types of meat, beautiful presentation, wrapped in a lace napkin and served with a cup of most delicious broth (I even drank the leftover!).

* “Due ravioli in due servizio”. Two ravioli courses both with liquid (melted) fillings, first one with pesto - really a tortellini which as you bite into releases an explosion of sumptuous liquid pesto, the second with Blue Moncenisio cheese in a chocolate-coloured grano di carube (Sicilian) shell, and perfectly offset by the pieces of pear and almond.

Secondo

* “Costato di manzo, midollo, pinole tartin di cipoli” A treat for meat lovers, a solid piece of loin cooked between rare and medium the meat was so soft and tender, still pink in the middle and yet not chewy. The side dishes were carefully put together as one dish and a perfect accompaniment.

* “Insalata di piccione, porcini, mirtilli e fegato grasso affumiciati”, which was roasted slices of tender pigeon cooked to perfection, topped with smoked foie gras, sliced mushrooms and blueberries, a most interesting and rewarding combination.

Wine – as can be expected for an enoteca the wine list was extensive with a large range of Roero wines as well as a good selection from Piedmont and other regions. We chose 2 classic Roero wines.

* Roero Arnies 2006 Almondo Giovanni, with good perfume and acidity, but in our opinion not as good as Bruno Giacosa, which is the only Arnies we have found with body.

* Cisterna d’Asti Superiore 2003 La Pergola. We love a good Bonarda, however this one had been oaked in new barrels, which had killed any taste of the fruit.

We felt we could have made a better selection and were not really able to communicate to the wine waiter what we really wanted:

Dolce

* “Sformata Gianduja con Crema Menthe”, a little crusty for my taste, could have been moister, but a good combination with the mint cream sauce.

* “Crema e Gelato alle nocciole zabiglione soffice” – to die for!

Vino Arneis Passito 2001, - excellent desert wine, the first time we have tried an Arneis Passito, although there was a faint raisin taste reminiscent of Sicilian Moscato rather then a true botrytis wine.

Overall the timing between courses was excellent, as was the presentation, the waiters were attentive and helpful (including some who speak a little English). We didn’t fell overstuffed and tipsy when we left. The bill was 175 euro, more then we would pay at a trattorie, but in keeping with the class of restaurant and the meal.

Restaurant website Davide Palluda

Footnote; since we quite full after this big lunch that we came home via nearby Cisterna d’Asti, a very pretty and scenic hilltop town, dominated by a medieval castle, which has a great collection of old artisan workshops donated by the descendants of the old trade families. Well worth seeing and open every afternoon.

Now can someone tell me how to post my photos on this forum! :blink:

Ecco lo qua here is the photo album Al Enoteca album

Edited by Sampaguita (log)

Too many restaurants in Piedmont, too little time in life

Villa Sampaguita

You know, of course, that I'm collecting all these write-ups you do so we can repeat the gastronomic debauchery! This one sounds fantastic. The pictures of the dining room on the web site seem a bit grand, but the food -- wow, the food.

What will my vegetarian wife do, watch the rest of us eat seemingly every part of every beast in the country? I'm kidding. Lei e' tranquilla. It looks as if there is much on the menu for her also -- like every dessert and cheese you mentioned.

Thanks for the updated review. Cheers

Ah Canale, great little town.

If you get a chance, try the gelateria Crema e Cicolatta at the opposite end of the town from the enoteca. Everything there is made in house and they have some unusual flavors.

If you get a chance, try the gelateria Crema e Cicolatta at the opposite end of the town from the enoteca. Everything there is made in house and they have some unusual flavors.

Is that at the end of Via Roma, the porticoed street?

Villa Sampaguita

What will my vegetarian wife do, watch the rest of us eat seemingly every part of every beast in the country? I'm kidding. Lei e' tranquilla. It looks as if there is much on the menu for her also -- like every dessert and cheese you mentioned.

Not to worry, there is a good selection on the menu for non-meat eaters, my Tim is also part veggie, although he did indulge with the pigeon and the calamari

Villa Sampaguita

Hi Rina,

Thanks for this write up and we will put Al Enoteca on our to do list.

By the way, there is a very interesting red wine from Cisterna (called Cisterna). Try it if you get a chance, Povero brothers makes a good one.

Ciao,

Ed

Edit: Just checked and Davide lists it on his menu.... impressive wine list by the way!

Edited by SWISS_CHEF (log)

Now can someone tell me how to post my photos on this forum!  :blink:

First go to "Your Control Panel"...

then "Your Albums" (left side)..

then "Create Album"

create your album, then up load the pictures using "Bulk Upload"

then "View Pictures" and get the URLs for each picture

Then go to your post and click IMG and enter the URL

It's a pain but you get used to it.

Ciao Edorovio, thanks for the tip, will see what we can do. and thanks for the name of the Cisterna Cantina.

Actually we make our own Bonarda wine a casa, Tim likes to make a soft fruity version for next years house wine, we wanted to try the Cisterna since this is the DOC zone for Bonarda, but we made the wrong choice, La Pergola was billed as "Superiore" and we should have guessed it would have to much new oak.

Villa Sampaguita

Ciao Edorovio, thanks for the tip, will see what we can do. and thanks for the name of the Cisterna Cantina.

Actually we make our own Bonarda wine a casa, Tim likes to make a soft fruity version for next years house wine, we wanted to try the Cisterna since this is the DOC zone for Bonarda, but we made the wrong choice, La Pergola was billed as "Superiore" and we should have guessed it would have to much new oak.

Here is some more info on the unusual Cisterna wine: http://www.fratellipovero.it/eng/santalucrezia.htm

Is that at the end of Via Roma, the porticoed street?

I think it is on via San Martino or close by, at the east end of town. There is a small car park in front of it.