• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Link Sausage

blackbox

Anyone doing diy link sausage- please point me in the right direction to find some interesting combos for sausage making.

I've been tasked with coming up with 6 interesting sausages this week, both exciting and intimidating as I've never made sausage before! We have a kitchenaid mixer with the grinding and stuffing accessories, and I've picked up some casings as well.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions!

Warmly,

Shai

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.

Anyone doing diy link sausage- please point me in the right direction to find some interesting combos for sausage making.

I've been tasked with coming up with 6 interesting sausages this week, both exciting and intimidating as I've never made sausage before!  We have a kitchenaid mixer with the grinding and stuffing accessories, and I've picked up some casings as well.

You'll probably profit from the thread here on "Charcuterie" by Ruhlman & Polcyn. The book itself is a good resource, with a number of creative sausages and lots of pictures showing how to make them.

We have a kitchenaid mixer with the grinding and stuffing accessories, and I've picked up some casings as well.

Do yourself a favor - throw away the Kitchenaid stuffer attachment. The grinder is fine.

If you're semi-serious about making sausage, get this stuffer:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h6252

Monterey Bay area

I've been tasked with coming up with 6 interesting sausages this week, both exciting and intimidating as I've never made sausage before!  We have a kitchenaid mixer with the grinding and stuffing accessories, and I've picked up some casings as well.

You'll probably profit from the thread here on "Charcuterie" by Ruhlman & Polcyn. The book itself is a good resource, with a number of creative sausages and lots of pictures showing how to make them.

Thanks very much for the link!

I'm doing the sausages as a test for work, we were looking for some interesting sausages to use in breakfast dishes, and I suggested we try making some. Although I know nothing about it, whatsoever. ;)

I'll have to see if I can get a copy of that book. I've read Ruhlman's Making of a Chef, which I found entertaining.

Thanks again,

Shai

We have a kitchenaid mixer with the grinding and stuffing accessories, and I've picked up some casings as well.

Do yourself a favor - throw away the Kitchenaid stuffer attachment. The grinder is fine.

If you're semi-serious about making sausage, get this stuffer:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h6252

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure that we will be getting some better equipment if they decide that sausage making is something we're going to incorporate on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Shai

Yes, look at the threads on charcuterie and the actual book, and for God's sake, throw away the KA stuffer attachment. It is so useless it isn't worth the plastic it is made out of.

Take a look at my blog in my signature for details on various stuffer types and which you might want to consider (the grizzly if you can or a push stuffer).

You can also look on Len Poli's page for tons of recipes:

home.pacbell.net/lpoli

Yes, look at the threads on charcuterie and the actual book, and for God's sake, throw away the KA stuffer attachment. It is so useless it isn't worth the plastic it is made out of.

Take a look at my blog in my signature for details on various stuffer types and which you might want to consider (the grizzly if you can or a push stuffer).

You can also look on Len Poli's page for tons of recipes:

home.pacbell.net/lpoli

I foolishly thought you and OP we exagerating the worthlessness of the KA stuffing attachment- boy, was I wrong!!!

Instead of the 6 recipes I'd planned to do, I only managed to make 3, due mostly to the darn stuffing attachment clogging, needing to be removed, the forcemeat shoved through, and then reassembled. And I think I did something very bad to my back trying to use the silly thing on a regular height counter top. lol

Things I learned-

The KA attachment sucks. I honestly think I'd have had more luck using a large pastry bag to fill the casings than that stupid attachment.

If you find yourself with a recipe for seafood sausage that requires making a puree of fish, egg whites and heavy cream- don't use it! The flavor was fine, but the texture was godawful! Grainy and just not good feeling in your mouth.

Don't try to make leaner sausages unless you know what you're doing- ie it takes a LOT longer to get meat through the grinding and stuffing if it has less fat in it to grease/ease the way.

Make sure you grease the stuffing horn, so your casing doesn't jam up and blowout on you.

And finally, speaking of blowouts, if you are vacuum packing your sausages, watch them very carefully, as any air in the casings at all will expand rapidly and could make your lovely links go boom!