• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edge Guards

Porthos

I:

1) Along with my wife cook one or 2 meals a month for my father-in-law;

2) Do volunteer cooking on the weekends about 13 weekends a year;

and

3) I bring my own knives when on vacation at the house-keeping cabin we rent.

Because I take my own knives to these places I recently bought a roll-up knife case. Should I buy edge guards for the knives that I carry in the case?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I never used to use them but I recently bought a couple and I am a total convert. If nothing else, they keep your knives from poking holes in your knife roll.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

I'm asusming your talking about Forschner Edgemags? If so, I have a couple and think they are great. They stay on very well and don't magnetize the blade. Since I don't use a knife roll and you do, I can't say one way or the other which would be best. But IMHO, I think the edgemags would probably keep the knives from slicing into the roll over time not to mention do a good job of protecting your blades.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I'm asusming your talking about Forschner Edgemags?  If so, I have a couple and think they are great.

Actually I was looking at these plastic edge guards from JB Prince.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Sorry for another post...I started thinking about them more. I personally wouldn't choose them as there's nothing really holding them on to my blade. They would have to be an exact fit to keep from sliding down toward the tip. Not that I'm a rep for Forschner but those edgemags are on for good when they're put on. No sliding, no moving, no marking of blades, no nothing. The magnets do what they do best and it takes a LOT of effort to move them or take them off. This alone makes them ideal because you wouldn't want to handle a knife thinking you're protected by the slip cover and have it come off or move on you. You don't need the whole blade covered, just the edge so it doesn't matter if the edgemag doesn't cover the entire blade...doesn't need to.

The ones I use are made by Messermeister and are called "Edge Guard." They work just fine. They are made of some type of plastic but grip the blade firmly. To apply them you insert the heel of the knife into one end of the guard and then close the guard over the rest of the blade as though closing a folding knife. They do not slide on the blade. Edge Guards, a good thing.

I never used to use them but I recently bought a couple and I am a total convert.  If nothing else, they keep your knives from poking holes in your knife roll.

I love mine, of course having no knife roll, they're particularly important. But on occasion when I have used a knife roll I've come close to nicking myself when putting away/pulling out knives, so the extra safety factor would be nice...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I have the Lamson KnifeSafe for my knives. They come in several sizes and seem to be more expensive than the guards mentioned earlier, but are really, really good (if they happen to fit - their only flaw).

Pity they don't have one that fits my cleaver; I have one of those slide-on guards for it that works okay - [edit]: Wusthof Knife-Life.

I suspect that the several layers of canvas in a knife roll are designed with the idea of making it harder for a knife to cut through, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

Edit: Just because.

Edited by Human Bean (log)

I have both a couple of knife safes and edge guards and prefer the simpler solution. The simple slip-on guards actually stay on my blades more securely when jostled around than the more engineered (and more expensive) knife safes do.

MT

---------------

Matt T

i would definately suggest getting them, as you have read all the post, it mainly suggest that it will protect your knives, your roll and more importantly your fingers.... get them and you will not get a dull knife, torn roll or a cut finger

Sorry for another post...I started thinking about them more.  I personally wouldn't choose them as there's nothing really holding them on to my blade.  They would have to be an exact fit to keep from sliding down toward the tip. 

My parents have those (for the Wusthof knives I got them that are banging around in a drawer -- don't get me started -- :angry:), and they are cheap and made to fit specific knives and sizes. They stay tightly on the blade and they've sized to add about 1/2" to the top to prevent poking. The base of the guard won't slide beyond the thickened bolster.

From a quick look around, I'm not sure that the Messermeister (and, according to this supplier, the identical Wusthof) guards aren't basically the same.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I found the fit on the plastic guards to be a bit too tight, and I always felt a bit concerned about cutting myself when I tried to remove the guards. Those magnetized ones seem like a good idea, and I've ordered a set. In the meantime, I use cardboard and masking tape; works fine.

I found the fit on the plastic guards to be a bit too tight, and I always felt a bit concerned about cutting myself when I tried to remove the guards. Those magnetized ones seem like a good idea, and I've ordered a set. In the meantime, I use cardboard and masking tape; works fine.

the trick to using them is to slice your knife into the groove handle first and NOT try to push it in from one end. to take it out is just the opposite, holding on to the guard and lifting the knife from the handle end and not pulling it out.

oh cardboard and masking tape heheheh i have done it before and sanitation wise is questionable.

I called a local cutlery shop and asked if the had the Forschner Edgemag product. THey didn't but they did have the Messermeister product. I measured a couple of my knives and went over last night and bought 2, one for my cook's knife and one for my 3" paring knife. They are heavy-weight plastic and grip the blades securely. As stated above they have a variety of sizes, both in length and in width, to match the knife you are trying to protect.

If I can find a local retailer that carries the Forschner product I will most likely acquire a couple of those for other knives that I carry and that will give me a side-by-side comparison.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

oh cardboard and masking tape heheheh i have done it before and sanitation wise is questionable.

I can't see that a dry knife in a fold of cardboard is any less sanitary than one in a fold of plastic. And - this is probably for another thread - how clean do we get our knives anyway?

My parents have those (for the Wusthof knives I got them that are banging around in a drawer -- don't get me started -- :angry:), and they are cheap and made to fit specific knives and sizes. They stay tightly on the blade and they've sized to add about 1/2" to the top to prevent poking. The base of the guard won't slide beyond the thickened bolster.

Chris, thanks. I guess I have to see them on my blades to get a better understanding. Are they made so that the open end clips over the spine or does the open end just rest against the side of the blade? How much effort does it take to move the covers...IOW, how tight are they? The edgemags cannot be slid off the knife. One has to physically pry one side open to get to your knife. Then the knife has to be removed from the other side of the cover since both sides are magnetized. That cover aint going nowhere. The only drawback that I can see from the EM is that they are not lightweight. I'll try to remember to take a few pics with my EM on a knife and weigh it too. The ones I have were originally bought for my steak knives kept in a drawer then I decided to get a wall rack for them but it will give an idea as to how they work, weigh, etc.

Heh, carboard and duct tape. I've seen this plenty of times and works pretty well as it's a custom fitted cover. No sanitation issues as the blade should be clean when you put it away anyway.

Are they made so that the open end clips over the spine or does the open end just rest against the side of the blade? 

The open end is locked over the top of the spine; the closed end is in contact with (at least part of) the blade, as in this image from the eGCI course on knife maintenance and sharpening:

sharpen2.jpg

How much effort does it take to move the covers...IOW, how tight are they?

They stay on pretty well -- though I don't have lots of experience personally with them. They're also damned cheap, so you could grab one or two for a few bucks and see what you think.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I use them all of the time - I carry my knives around in the kitchen in them - My knives are a heck of a lot sharper than the "kitchen" knives and I mark my knives with yellow tape so everyone knows they are mine but that they are very sharp. The staff are allowed to use them but are to put them back in the sleeve when done - worth the couple of bucks each for them

The edgemags cannot be slid off the knife.  One has to physically pry one side open to get to your knife.  Then the knife has to be removed from the other side of the cover since both sides are magnetized.  That cover aint going nowhere.

I had posted up-thread that if I could find some of the Edgemags locally I would probably give them a try. However, the description of having to pry them off instead of slipping them off has caused me to reconsider. My arthritis, which started in my spine, has moved into my hands and is slowly but surely taking away some of my dexterity as well as mobility. The idea of requiring some level of careful dexterity to remove the Edgemags from around the hopefully sharp edge of the knife is cause for concern. The guards that I have purchased have a goodly amount of grip so that they won't come off inadvertently with reasonable handling so for now I am going to stick with them since the knife roll the knives go into is the primary source of containment and protection.

That's just for me in my kitchen...

Regarding the progression of my arthiritis: I miss the health of my youth but I don't miss the youthful angst that went with it. I've grown old enough to value contentment with my lot in life.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Are they made so that the open end clips over the spine or does the open end just rest against the side of the blade? 

The open end is locked over the top of the spine; the closed end is in contact with (at least part of) the blade, as in this image from the eGCI course on knife maintenance and sharpening:

sharpen2.jpg

How much effort does it take to move the covers...IOW, how tight are they?

They stay on pretty well -- though I don't have lots of experience personally with them. They're also damned cheap, so you could grab one or two for a few bucks and see what you think.

I picked up a few of these from Korin when I purchased my Tojiros.

The little blue plastic binders for acetate report covers work well too but because they are not as deep as these, if the blade has a lot of belly it may not cover the tip well. I have a bunch of these homemade edge covers on my knives in my kitchen draw. Protects the edge well and the tips for most knives.

The Messermeister guards that I purchased look similar to what you're using, S/D97. This is what they look like:

gallery_50351_4838_17868.jpg

They come sized both for length and depth. I think I paid about $8 USD for 2 guards, one for my 8" chef's knife and one for my 3" paring knife. The plastic they are made from is reasonably thick, maybe 3/32nds or a tiny bit more. The shop I went to had a decent selection so I am confident that I will be able to get guards to protect the other knives I will be carrying in the roll.

What's important to me is that beyond the fact that the edges and my knife roll will be protected is that I felt confident in inserting and removing my knives from these holders.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;