• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: What Makes a Perfect Crab Cake?

OMG!

I once got given a great quantity of crab meat and had no idea how to turn it into crab cakes (pre internet access at chez KA). It certainly didnt go to waste, as I did know how to melt butter, but but but......oh my.

Any chance that some of these recipes could go into RecipeGullet? Just in case I get that kind of lucky again one day?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Loves me some risotto--though the practical side of cooking numerous pots of the stuff at a person's home presents a challenge, especially re timing and the slime factor. Not exactly a prepare-ahead dish.

Gumbo's good, too.

However, another humble suggestion for locavores: Eggplant.

'Tis the season well into the days of longer nights and chilly air.

From what I understand, the French cook aubergines as do those whose governing bodies fall prey to mockery here as well as extra kilos at the local trattoria. Neapolitan eggplant torta slathered in chocolate anyone?

Then there is everything Middle-Eastern, Asian (including Thai, of course) et al in addition to the contributions of other Mediterranean cultures. Let me add eggplant soup at Chez Panisse and other dishes and cultures I have not mentioned.

Plus, our markets fill with all those wonderful shapes, colors and shades to wake us from the snooze that is a part of our culinary past.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

• 1 month later...
I might have to take you up on that!  Any chance of a future risotto get together?

Sounds great! I'd be willing to host that one.

I'd be up to doing this sometime in December.

I felt inspired, so I made some asparagus risotto and added some shrimp that I sauteed in brown butter and then drizzled the brown butter on top of the risotto. This was probably the best I've ever made.

IMG_1959.jpg

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I might have to take you up on that!  Any chance of a future risotto get together?

Sounds great! I'd be willing to host that one.

I'd be up to doing this sometime in December.

I felt inspired, so I made some asparagus risotto and added some shrimp that I sauteed in brown butter and then drizzled the brown butter on top of the risotto. This was probably the best I've ever made.

IMG_1959.jpg

That looks amazing and very high end restaurant worthy. Did you use any particular brand of rice?

That looks amazing and very high end restaurant worthy. Did you use any particular brand of rice?

Thank you! I used plain old Arborio.

I've been experimenting with risotto quite a bit recently but got inspired to make asparagus risotto after watching Mark Bittman's "The Best Recipes In The World" over the weekend when he had his Rice Recipes episode and Mario Batali made risotto. I didn't really use his recipe, but I was inspired by the ingredients he used and the way he waited until the very end to add the asparagus puree. I was also impressed by how little stirring he actually did. When he added the rice to toast it, he spread it around with his fingers to increase the surface area and then just let it sit there without touching it. Even when he added the broth, he just let it sit there and simmer away.

Overall, it was very good, but the nutty flavor of the drizzled brown butter on top, along with the shrimp, REALLY added a nice compliment.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.