• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic beer: list

AshleyUNOB

"This does sound like a good operation, but I have a question about the spent grains. It has been my understanding that spent grains are predominantly indigestible fiber and perhaps a bit of protein, and that as such they aren't great for animals: little nutrition and lots of methane gas. Anyone have any info on that?"

Answer: It depends on who you're feeding it to. Yes, spent grains have lots of fibre, some residual sugars, various micronutrients, and a relatively low protein count (around 11%). However, this means only that if you want pigs, for example, to gain weight rapidly, you have to supplement them with something else (we use whey from a local organic dairy and forage, as they are on pasture). If you are feeding ruminants (cows and sheep, for example), they actually do much better on a high fibre and low protein diet. The reverse - feeding large percentages of grain - is what causes gastric probles which create the methane. This is a problem created by feedlots, not by pasture-raised livestock.

And just a note: we don't claim to be unusual in using our spent grains, only in that we do it ourselves on our own farm, so travel is reduced considerably, the grain is fresher and more nutritious, and it is part of the nutrient loop between the farm and the brewery. It's not one thing that's different, it's the gestalt.

farming, brewing, drinking, eating: the best things in life.

There is the new line of organic beers being produced by the Magic Hat folks in Vermont called ORLIO. Had a bottle of their Pale Ale, and it's respectable.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Excellent info, Rebecca. Thank you!

I am a homebrewer, so my spent grains are minimal and usually go into the compost pile. My late dog adored biscuits made with them, but they weren't great for his gastric output. :blink::biggrin:

I'm hopeful that I can support your operation by sampling some of your products next time I'm in B.C. (not that I travel there frequently).

Thanks again for the information.

Tim

Rebecca,

Fantastic that you chimed in! I've wanted to come and visit you for a long time. I grow my own hops as well (cascade), I'd love to see your operation for processing them. And the rest of the farm too.

BTW to everyone else here, their part of BC is gorgeous, if you're coming to visit BC, the Salmon Arm area will impress.

Mark.

• 10 months later...

FWIW, hops are highly susceptible to powdery and downy mildew, which can really decimate production and be very difficult to eradicate or even treat.

Thus organic hop production could be a challenge, and certainly would be in areas where powdery mildew has been reported, like the Pacific Northwest. On the bright side, many local small-scale operations could be a good thing in this case since there is less chance for spreading the infection. Also some labor-intensive management practices apparently can help, and there may be some treatments considered organic (I'm no expert).

I read that hops are very toxic to dogs so watch how you recycle anything containing them.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 months later...