• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quebec province beers

AshleyUNOB

Happy to be a new member here and I hope to become a fairly active poster on the beer forum... Whenever my 2yr old and twin baby sons allow me a little time off for good(?) behaviour, that is!

Given that my job is reviewing beer (I'm learning fast, but can't compete with many of you, I'm sure) and that I'm based in Hudson, QC, I am well-placed to discuss Quebec-brewed beer at the very least!

So I just wanted to begin a thread about QC beer. What's your favourite, what's your overall impression of Quebec beers and how widely available are they? I saw some in a shop in Burlington last week while visiting the Vermont Brewers Festival, but the breweries were conspicuous by their absense at said festival. Shame, we're about three hours away including border crossing time...

I've reviewed lots of QC beers on my site. So far my favourites are (in no particular order):

Blanche de Chambly, Unibroue

Logique Bio organic

Coup de Grisou, RJ

St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

Boreale Blanche

Looking forward to your views on QC beer. Cheers!

Secretary-General

The United Nations of Beer

www.theUNOB.com

So I just wanted to begin a thread about QC beer. What's your favourite, what's your overall impression of Quebec beers and how widely available are they? I've reviewed lots of QC beers on my site. So far my favourites are (in no particular order):

Blanche de Chambly, Unibroue

Logique Bio organic

Coup de Grisou, RJ

St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

Boreale Blanche

Quebec beer - microbrews are readily available for me.

I've found the microbrews in Quebec to be some of the best in the world but am always pleased when I travel in to the U.S. and discover new beers that are great.

I enjoy Blanche de Chambly in the summertime but favour St Ambroise offerings overall. I love Cheval at the Pub but not in bottles...

I too am a fan of the Blanche de Chambly. Funny enough I first enjoyed it in Calgary. I have tried many of the Unibroue beers and like the Blanche best.

I have always found it intersting that some of the major brewers sell brands in Quebec that are only found there. I have never seen a Labbatt Porter anywhere else for example. Not to mention "Laurentide" from Molson. What other examples are out there?

Of all the strong beers and ales from Unibroue I prefer the sweet honeyed taste of Fin du Monde.

Unibroue is not widely distributed in Ontario, but can be found with a little searching.

The change in ownership to Sapporo has not made any difference, yet.