• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Elements of Cooking:

ADF

I am looking forward to picking up my copy of our Michael's book. I too prefer this type of culinary book to rote recipes.

Folks, let's not forget there are other references that might be old but I hold as essential. They're a must for any cook, amateur or pro.

1. The Chef's Compendium of Professional Recipes by Renhold, Foskett and Fuller

2. La Repitoire de la Cuisine by Lewis Saulnier.

The former got me out of a lot of hot water as an apprentice.

The latter is invaluable, should you have tongue julienne and cock's combs that need using up. :wink:

I am looking forward to picking up my copy of our Michael's book.  I too prefer this  type of culinary book to rote recipes.

Folks, let's not forget there are other references that might be old but I hold as essential.  They're a must for any cook, amateur or pro.

The latter is invaluable, should you have tongue julienne and cock's combs that need using up. :wink:

How do you feel about the Professional Chef and McGee?

I am looking forward to picking up my copy of our Michael's book.  I too prefer this  type of culinary book to rote recipes.

Folks, let's not forget there are other references that might be old but I hold as essential.  They're a must for any cook, amateur or pro.

How do you feel about the Professional Chef and McGee?

Claudia, I haven't read the Professional Chef. I do have a copy of McGee's 2nd edition and I love it. It's really a masterwork.

While I haven't yet been to an Elements gig (I'm heading for Degustibus on 11/29), my friends and fellow bloggers have told me, in words and pictures, that you can expect Ruhlman to talk AND take questions (of a culinary/technique nature) throughout the cooking demos, and then to take further questions and sign books afterwards. Ruhlman is also doing stop-bys at nearby Borders, etc., for additional book signings and to meet his fans and blog readers after his demos.

At just the book signings, he is, of course, either reading bits from his book or discussing topics from it, signing books and answering all questions - and, apparently, occasionally getting surprised by celeb drop-ins, such as his friend Chef Cosentino (!)

He is reportedly also trying to get his publisher to add more dates, based on the tons of pleas from his blogging fans.

This, from a fellow blogger and friend on the West Coast:

http://profumoprofondo.com/2007/11/11/meet...ichael-ruhlman/

and her hubby:

http://skawt.org/blawg/

I think it's going to work great for quick research, fact checking...just like "The Elements of Style" does.

It is definitely an interesting addition to my collection of cooking references. While it is less comprehensive than something like "A Food Lover's Companion," it has some tiny but important details that it is nice to know. In addition, I like Ruhlman's writing style: he injects some clear opinion into some of the definitions (veal stock springs to mind...), and not in a bad way. It is really quite amazing in its similarity to Strunk & White. It remains to be seen if it will prove as valuable...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Elements is already living in my kitchen . . . it definitely passes the size:usefulness test!

I personally love Michael's prose . . . I am fishing "real time" for some gems but will assemble a collection and post ensemble.

Maybe it's an Ohio cadence, but his phrasing really entertains me.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher