• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Birthday cake in Outer Banks?

Okay, I know it's a pretty specific question, but we've got a family vacation there starting next weekend, and there are 6 people in our family who have birthdays in August (with one of us turning 70, and one turning 40). We've got a big group, and would like to get a very nice cake (or two) to celebrate, but really don't go for the supersweet supermarket cakes.

Any ideas for a fabulous chocolate cake? How about a white cake? And do they decorate?

Thanks! :smile:

Okay, I know it's a pretty specific question, but we've got a family vacation there starting next weekend, and there are 6 people in our family who have birthdays in August (with one of us turning 70, and one turning 40).  We've got a big group, and would like to get a very nice cake (or two) to celebrate, but really don't go for the supersweet supermarket cakes.

Any ideas for a fabulous chocolate cake?  How about a white cake?  And do they decorate?

Thanks! :smile:

I would advise contacting Tullio's bake shop in Duck at the Scarborough Faire center. They will make whatever you would like and it will be wonderful. It will not be cheap, but you will get value for what you spend.

Tullio's

Don't know how you are getting to the Outer Banks, but if you are flying into Raleigh, I'd get the cake there at Edible Art. It will be a work of art. I would fist fight my late mother for a piece of their chocolate pound cake!

Edited by seahawg (log)

Most people drive.

Tullio's is definately the best bet. Unfortunately there isn't much of a selection there right now. I would do it for you if I was still there.

Also, The Good Life might not be a bad option if Floyd is still there.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Most people drive.

Tullio's is definately the best bet.  Unfortunately there isn't much of a selection there right now. I would do it for you if I was still there.

Also, The Good Life might not be a bad option if Floyd is still there.

Another good bakery would be a good thing for a CIA grad to come home and start. There is some real good cooking on the Outer banks, but not a lot of good baking.