• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hard Boiled Egg 101

Fugu

15 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sheesh, how many variables can there be in something as simple as a hard cooked egg xD

Allow me to suggest one that has not been mentioned: the pot in which the eggs are cooked.

I cook my eggs by bringing them to a boil and removing them from the heat, and allow them to sit for ten minutes in order to get a hard cooked egg to my liking.  However, when cooking at my GF's place, using her thinner pots, the results are substantially different, and I need two minutes more to get the eggs cooked to the same degree.

... Shel

I have found a method for hard cooking very fresh farm eggs that has worked perfectly every time.

I imagine the method would work for store bought eggs too.

I usually cook about six eggs at a time.

Heavy pot. Gently put in the eggs. Add enough cold tap water to cover the eggs by about an inch. Bring the water to the boil slowly so the interior of the eggs can cook at the same rate as the whites. Gently boil the eggs for about four minutes.

Drain the hot water. Run cold tap water to fill the pot. This next bit is very important IMO. Put one of those frozen freezer packs in the pot or a couple of trays of ice cubes. Let the eggs completely cool for at least half an hour.

Peel the eggs. Works everytime.

Edited by pufin3 (log)

Why are we assuming all eggs are the same?

Old hens, young hens, different breeds of hens. summer eggs, winter eggs, morning eggs, afternoon  eggs. free range hens, cage free hens, bug eating hens, vegetarian hens, ------------

dcarch

• Like 4