• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

looking for a 1948 comic strip recipe for beans

tejon

Several years ago, my grandparents moved into an assisted living apartment. They had to get rid of a good portion of their belongings, suddenly finding themselves in a one bedroom space. I inherited the recipe card file and had my pick of cookbooks as well - quite a treasure trove. I didn't end up taking all of the cookbooks, just the ones that seemed most interesting.

My grandfather called this afternoon looking for a recipe. Not one in the card file, but one that he'd tucked away in one of the cook books. Sadly, it's one I didn't keep. He described the book, the cartoon inside, and the beans: the best he'd ever had. The cartoon was "Gordo" by Gus Arriola, and from my online searching the two part cartoon containing the recipe came out in 1948.

There is so little my grandfather actually wants any more, and it saddens me that I inadvertently gave away a recipe that he obviously holds so dear. I'd also love to give the recipe a try for myself, if it's half as good as he remembers.

Does anyone have a copy of this recipe, or can you steer me to where I might be able to find it? I'd greatly appreciate any and all help.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Odd coincidence, I went looking & happened across this review (scroll about halfway down the page) a late friend of mine wrote re one of the Gordo collections, which seems to include the recipe you're looking for per her comments.

edited for clarity

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Small world all around, isn't it? I'd come across that book in my online searching and am considering buying a copy for my grandfather.

I did find the recipe, published in January, 1948, spelled out in an article later that year. The ingredients are very simple - water, beans, lard, salt, and American cheese - but the recipe goes on at length about how to prepare it all properly. I'm eager to give it a try, but more eager to see the look on my grandpa's face when I give it to him in a few days. :smile:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Small world all around, isn't it? I'd come across that book in my online searching and am considering buying a copy for my grandfather.

I did find the recipe, published in January, 1948, spelled out in an article later that year. The ingredients are very simple - water, beans, lard, salt, and American cheese - but the recipe goes on at length about how to prepare it all properly. I'm eager to give it a try, but more eager to see the look on my grandpa's face when I give it to him in a few days.  :smile:

Kathy,

Have you given this to your Granpa yet? I'm dying to hear..........

I gave it to him last week (trip to CA for my sister's wedding, lots of family present) and he was very touched. Said it was one of the best gifts I've ever given him :smile:.

Kathy