• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the latest at Winery Restaurants

teagal

I'm needing help--

Interviewing for a position at a local winery and they haven't done any food yet-it's been open for only several months and I'd like some ideas about the latest "fad" food offered at winery restaurants.

You know, like paninis or cheese plates. I want some new menu ideas to WOW them--

Any ideas??

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I'm not sure there are any "fads" worth following, but a good bet is to cook seasonally and locally. I know that sounds cliche and standard, but it really couldn't be more appropriate for wine country. Hit the farmer's market's without a menu and create one on the fly with whatever looks the most delicious at that very moment. You can check out local farmer's market reports to see what some of the bigger market cities (like San Francisco or Santa Monica for example) are flush with. Last weekend, for me anyway, it was a plethora of beautiful stone fruit and plum hybrids, gorgeous cherry tomatoes, corn, melons of all kinds, apricots, golden yellow squashes, and ripe red and black summer berries. I can't think of a better menu foundation than some of those very key ingredients.

Grilled Summer Plums with Creme Fraiche & Thyme?

Cherry Tomato, Burrata, and Chive Vinaigrette?

Apricot Tartlets with Almond and Sauternes?

Frozen Golden Watermelon Pops?

Grilled Yellow Squash with Opal Basil and Charred Corn?

Crenshaw Melon with Serrano Ham & Charred Sweet Onion?

Go nuts and let the market do the driving!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com