• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lump Asafoetida

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to eGullet and actually have not spent any time on the India board at all, so this is like barging into a party where you don't know any of the other guests, and I apologize if this has all been discussed a million times before, but I'm so excited that I have to tell someone:

I used lump asafoetida for the first time last night and I CANNOT believe the difference! Lump asafoetida must be to powdered asafoetida as parmigiano reggiano is to Kraft parmesan cheese in the green can. There is a wonderful herbal, almost citrus note to it, and that weird asafoetida funk is almost nonexistent. Also, maybe I was just starving anyway, but the odor seems to have a stimulating effect on the appetite. Even my husband, who normally just benignly tolerates my use of powdered asafoetida, was amazed at the pleasant citrusy smell. I feel sorry for myself having used the powdered stuff all these years and I'm never going back!

However: What a PITA. I wasn't sure how to proceed, so I just whacked the resin lump with the back of a ladle until some cracked off, then I ground it up in a suribachi. Is there a better way?

Diane

I haven't seen pastes in the market. In fact, I am striking out while

seeking the lump hing (lucky Dianabana).

I am getting quite fed up of the powdered 'compounded hing'

which is 78% rice powder and god knows how much actual

hing in it. It's pretty weak, and getting progressively weaker.

I find myself adding outrageous amounts to get even a whiff of

hing aroma...

I haven't seen pastes in the market.  In fact, I am striking out while

seeking the lump hing (lucky Dianabana).

I am getting quite fed up of the powdered 'compounded hing'

which is 78% rice powder and god knows how much actual

hing in it.  It's pretty weak, and getting progressively weaker.

I find myself adding outrageous amounts to get even a whiff of

hing aroma...

Milagai

I buy pur asafoetida powder (brown in color) from my local herborist (health) store. You should probably try health stores. I threw my vandevi hing brand in the garbage when I got this...

Irishcream

Unfortunately there is no substitute - I sure you'd get at least the compounded hing in Indian ethnic stores around you.

Thanks for the tip Bague.

I'm not in North America at this time, but will try and find

such a shop. Funny thing is that I am in a country with a huge

Asian (=Indian) population, but the many grocery stores only

seem to carry that Vandevi nonsense.....

sigh...

I too have noticed the tremendous difference between powdered and block form. The nice thing about the block form is that it is odorless until you grind it up. I wouldn't say block form smells any nicer than powdered though; both smell pretty bad until magically transformed in hot oil. I think the easiest way to handle it is to lightly crack the big chunks in my heavy granite mortar and pestle until I get the desired size for the day's cooking, and then grind that into a powder. Failing that I would probably crack of a piece using a heavy object and then grind it in a spice grinder, but if you care enough to go after block hing I think you should have a mortar and pestle anyway. I haven't used a suribachi myself, but the ones I've seen look a little light for real grinding work.

I also recently found out that even the good stuff isn't "pure" asafoetida. The block form we sell at the shop I work at is 1% concentration; 100% would be violently strong.

• 3 months later...
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to eGullet and actually have not spent any time on the India board at all, so this is like barging into a party where you don't know any of the other guests, and I apologize if this has all been discussed a million times before, but I'm so excited that I have to tell someone:

I used lump asafoetida for the first time last night and I CANNOT believe the difference! Lump asafoetida must be to powdered asafoetida as parmigiano reggiano is to Kraft parmesan cheese in the green can. There is a wonderful herbal, almost citrus note to it, and that weird asafoetida funk is almost nonexistent. Also, maybe I was just starving anyway, but the odor seems to have a stimulating effect on the appetite. Even my husband, who normally just benignly tolerates my use of powdered asafoetida, was amazed at the pleasant citrusy smell. I feel sorry for myself having used the powdered stuff all these years and I'm never going back!

However: What a PITA. I wasn't sure how to proceed, so I just whacked the resin lump with the back of a ladle until some cracked off, then I ground it up in a suribachi. Is there a better way?

Diane

You should try fresh tumeric sometime. You can freeze the tubers and the grate it. Its like most things fresh, better and more earthy. Woods