• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Monthly poll winners, poor Bergen

PicnicChef

Well, of the top 25 restaurants picked by the critics of NJ Monthly, not one was from Bergen... Do the critics visit our dining spots, or are we in a slump. Food for thought...

I have always been SO disappointed with the quality of the reviews in N.J Monthly over the years...and their yearly picks also so disappoint me. I happen to live in Essex County (so I am not so familiar with Bergen County places to eat, since if we drive that distance, we go to NYC )...and when I looked over the list, I must say I shook my head in disbelief...maybe these "critics" just do not know food...but they certainly have "gotten away with low quality reviews for so long. Sadly, the only reviews I trust at all are the Wed N.Y. Times since they are not afraid to review...tell us the good and the bad....By the way, I have been waiting a LONG time to express this.... :sad::sad:

I have always been SO disappointed with the quality of the reviews in N.J Monthly over the years...and their yearly picks also so disappoint me.  I happen to live in Essex County (so I am not so familiar with Bergen County places to eat, since if we drive that distance, we go to NYC )...and when I looked over the list, I must say I shook my head in disbelief...maybe these "critics" just do not know food...but they certainly have "gotten away with low quality reviews for so long.  Sadly, the only reviews I trust at all are the Wed N.Y. Times since they are not afraid to review...tell us the good and the bad....By the way, I have been waiting a LONG time to express this.... :sad:  :sad:

My initial confusion is was that NJ monthly meant New Jersey instead of North Jersey.

The only places included in the real south (pardon me but princeton is not in south jersey) were along the shore; a north jersey pov.

How many places in cumberland, salem, gloucester, camden, burlington counties were included? 0.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

sounds like the title of this thread should be changed to "poor south jersey."

NJ Monthly is based in north jersey. North jersey has a more dense and probably larger population than south jersey. i'd guess there are way, way more restaurants in north jersey than in other parts of the state. way more notable restaurants at least. i wouldn't expect much more of north jersey based magazine. it is what it is. perhaps south jersey should start a mag?

I have always been SO disappointed with the quality of the reviews in N.J Monthly over the years...and their yearly picks also so disappoint me.  I happen to live in Essex County (so I am not so familiar with Bergen County places to eat, since if we drive that distance, we go to NYC )...and when I looked over the list, I must say I shook my head in disbelief...maybe these "critics" just do not know food...but they certainly have "gotten away with low quality reviews for so long.  Sadly, the only reviews I trust at all are the Wed N.Y. Times since they are not afraid to review...tell us the good and the bad....By the way, I have been waiting a LONG time to express this.... :sad:  :sad:

My initial confusion is was that NJ monthly meant New Jersey instead of North Jersey.

The only places included in the real south (pardon me but princeton is not in south jersey) were along the shore; a north jersey pov.

How many places in cumberland, salem, gloucester, camden, burlington counties were included? 0.

I have worked hard to expand my view on North Jersey...recently I switched the dividing line from Route 4 to Route 80. Anything south of Route 80 can be whatever it wants, and then there is the Shore....And I am only sort of joking... actually no I'm not joking :blink:

Tracey

from Way North Jersey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association