• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manassas Area Eats/Markets/Food Stuff

Tela T

Well, after a year of looking we're buying/moving to a place in Manassas.

So, I need the scoop - where to shop for meats, fish, vegies - without having to drive into DC! Although I'll drive if I have to...!

Will consider u-pick places, CSAs, too. How's the local FM? Any good places to eat for a casual meal, all cuisines, for kids, meat and threes? Fine dining - suggestions? Out of the way places that the locals go to?

Welcome all comers! :laugh:

Thanks - I look forward to seeing what you all think!

T

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

You don't say where you are in Manassas, but if you're close to "Old Town" there are several places to eat-- Okra's for some Cajun. I'm not going to make any claims for the authenticity of this place, but we really enjoy the food (and the space, we're there at least weekly).

Carmello's/Little Portugal purveyas an unusual combination of italian and Portugese food. (Manassas has a relatively large population of Portugese background). Fancier than Okra's.

Attached to Okra's (owned by but kinda-sorta separate from) is Foundation. Also on the fancier side. A good feature of this is the "Chef's Bar" where you can sit and watch/talk with the chef as he prepares your dinner. 5 or so course tasting menu, with wine pairings available.

There are also a couple of Thai places in the Old Town area, whose names escape me now, but one is adjacent to Foundation. (Manassas Old Town is small).

The Manassas Farmer's Market is located at the Loy Pavilion (next to the VRE station). Usual collection of vegetables & fruits, plus some small chicken and pork producers. Nothing as fancy as the Dupont Circle market, but we enjoy going there.

As for Manassas area grocers - not too familiar. But there are Wegman's off Rte 28 and Waxpool Rd near Ashburn and in Fairfax City.

Rick Azzarano

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you both - we'll be on the eastern side of town, off PWP - been to the Wegmans - wouldn't recommend a midday trip on Saturday though. I think bi-weekly trips into town will be the norm (especially to Dupont on Sundays). By the way, how is Dupont during the winter?

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

There is a Trader Joe's in Fairfax on Rt 50, that's the closest, I think.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”