• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quickies in the 8 x 8

Lindacakes

I'm looking for ideas for quick things to make for two in an 8 x 8 inch pan.

I usually do butterscotch brownies, which require no special ingredients unless you want pecans in them. Using recipe from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book. This has been happening since childhood, as you may guess.

Then there's the Cafe Expresso Cake from the back of the Domino Confectioner's Sugar box. You make the frosting first, and use some of it in the cake batter. A very tasty little cake, again needing nothing I don't keep around the house. It's a bit more work, though.

Any one have any other recipes like this?

I won't eat any sweet junk food, house rule I make it myself, but there's times when a person just wants a freakin' snack.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

(Key-)Lime Squares? (there's always condensed milk here at home) :smile: But yeah, there's nothing quite as readily available as ingredients for Blondies.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I like fruit cobblers in small pans like these. How many times have we been on vacation looking for the easiest of ingredients and a quick dessert to serve?

The very quickiest I saw was from Pepin's show where he laid fresh fruit in a small pan and maybe put some sugar with it and sprinkled crushed butter cookies on, then popped into the oven. The fruit becomes warm and releases some juice and the cookies brown up a bit more. super easy and extremely tasty.

Jennifer

there is an insanely lovely gingerbread recipe that calls for 3 types of ginger... grated ginger, candied ginger and powdered ginger from The Joy I think? ..I will look when I get off work if you want the recipe I can try to post it tomorrow? ..it is quick ..very moist keeps really well for a couple of days and ...a ginger lovers dream!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

That would be excellent, Hummingbirdkiss. Usually I have two of the three gingers on hand.

Epicurious has a plethora of cobbler recipes, I'll survey those.

I have a brownie cake recipe from a Wendy DuBord thread that seems perfect. I always have cocoa and it has only cocoa, no chocolate. Doesn't specify whether it requires frosting, though.

I usually have a can of condensed milk around the house in the summer, for Key Lime Pie. Mine has to sit for a day, though, and that's no quick snack!

I have a recipe for a 8x8 cake using one package of mixed dried fruit: simple batter, top with dried fruit and water and bake. The fruit go to the bottom and get syrupy and the cake ends on top of the pan (the same principle as a pudding-cake). If you want it I'll post it (I'm at work now...). Let me know. You do need to have the dried fruit; the rest of the ingredients you have already.

I was just thinking of this recipe yesterday, because I haven't made it in a long time, but liked it so much.

Dorie Greenspan's Swedish Visiting cake. I skip the lemon and almonds because nobody wants them except me (and I try not to eat entire sticks of butter too often), but I figure it's not too difficult to add a pinch of cinnamon or some other spice. Easy and doesn't involve whipping anything.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Achevres, I would love the dried fruit cake recipe. It sounds really good. I always have dried fruit around.

I've been meaning to try the visiting cake -- I have the cookbook and have made some good things out of it.

Ok here you go ..I am not sure who to give credit to this for it is kind of a hybrid gingerbread cake for folks who love ginger..one of the guys I worked with made it for me and I loved it so much that I have made it several times a year since..he said the recipe is in The Joy but I could not find the same one in my version ..so here it is

gingery gingerbread cake

2 cups flour

1/4 tsp baking soda

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp ground ginger

1-1/2 tsp fresh ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp of salt

1 stick butter

3/4 cup sugar

1 jumbo egg

1/2 cup molasses

3/4 cup buttermilk

1/3 cup grated raw ginger

1/3 cup candied ginger diced into tiny pieces

Grease your square pan preheat your oven to 350 degrees

In a mixing bowl first mix together the dry ingredients then add the wet stir well until mixed but do not beat it just stir it together then fold in the fresh and candied ginger

Bake for about 45min until pick comes out clean then leave to cool in pan

Serve with fresh whipping cream

Edited by gfron1 (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

The hot fudge pudding cake from Cook's Country is quick, easy and pretty delicious.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

These are all excellent:

Streusel Topped Triple Berry Coffee Cake

I use an 8x8 instead of the specified 9x9, plus a few other minor tweaks. I usually do half raspberries and half blueberries, fresh or frozen, unthawed

http://www.recipezaar.com/47953

Strawberry Coffee Cake

http://www.recipezaar.com/67733

Chewy Brownies

I bake them for less time than indicated, about 32 minutes.

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes...y_brownies.aspx

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Here is the recipe, originally from the package of Sun-Maid mixed fruit. Sunsweet also has a similiar mixture. Or mix 8 ounces of whatever you have on hand. Dried peaches would be a great addition.

Festive Spoon Bread

1 (8 oz) package mixed dried fruit (apricots, prunes, apples, pears)

2 cups water

¾ cup sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

¼ teaspoon allspice

½ cup sugar

¼ cup soft butter

1 cup flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

½ cup milk

Powdered sugar (optional)

Pit prunes if they are unpitted. Cut all fruit into smaller pieces. Put dried fruit, water, ¾ cup sugar, lemon and allspice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Cover and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix by hand the ½ cup sugar and butter. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture alternating milk and butter mixture. Grease an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan and spread the batter in the pan. Place the hot fruits and liquid over batter. Bake at 375 deg F for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.

The original recipe has you sprinkling with powdered sugar before serving, but I think vanilla ice cream is the way to go.

I should clarify that the Festive Spoon Bread is scooped out and served on a bowl like a pudding cake, rather than cut into neat squares, because the fruit ends up in the bottom of the pan.

7-Layer Squares

Line pan with parchment and then layer ingredients in this order:

graham cracker crumbs

butter (truth is I mix these with the crumbs)

pecans/waluts

chocolate chips

butterscotch chips (I never use these, but then it's a 6-layer square. . .)

coconut

sweetened condensed milk

Bake until the milk has melted and started to brown. Cool, cut and eat.

If these aren't too sweet for you, they're really quick and you don't have to turn on your oven - Rice crispy treats. If you want them a little less sweet you can always use more crispies or less marshmallow.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda