• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Matisse

sjmoss

We went to Cafe Matisse tonight and had absolutely zero disappointments. The grazing menu was a pretty good way to get a nice range of foods, but oh man, was everything amazing. The real standout was a lamb tenderloin over a whipped feta with fresh mint, a tomato and cucumber relish, topped with a lahmajun chip. Everything was amazing there and it was worth taking a date night, especially since we got a table outside in the garden.

I didn't see any single problem with the service. The waiters were attentive and helpful without being oppressive. Amazing experience overall.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

We went to Cafe Matisse tonight and had absolutely zero disappointments.  The grazing menu was a pretty good way to get a nice range of foods, but oh man, was everything amazing.  The real standout was a lamb tenderloin over a whipped feta with fresh mint, a tomato and cucumber relish, topped with a lahmajun chip.  Everything was amazing there and it was worth taking a date night, especially since we got a table outside in the garden. 

I didn't see any single problem with the service.  The waiters were attentive and helpful without being oppressive.  Amazing experience overall.

Ditto. We were there last week, sat out in the garden and everything was absolutely perfect.

• 1 year later...

Last Saturday night we dined at Cafe Matisse. A very memorable meal!

There were 3 of us, and we opted for the 5-course grazer which included 4 savory dishes and 1 dessert. And since there are 12 savory dishes on the menu, and the 3 of us were entitled to a total of 12, we asked them to bring us one of each and we would share.

They brought us 3 dishes at a time - each time we received a dish, we would each 1/3 of it (oohing and ahhing and describing it to each other as we dined) and when we were all finished with our share of that dish, we would pass the plate to the next person. It was hysterical!

We had 2 bottles of wine, a white: 3 Blind Moose Pinot Grigio (I brought it back from Maine a few weeks ago) and a red: La Crema Pinot Noir, which we bought from the wine shop in the front of the restaurant.

Here are the 12 savory courses that we shared. Descriptions are taken directly from their menu.

ROUND 1:

01-Quesadilla.jpg

Chicken Quesadilla with Grilled Cumin Onions, Roasted Corn and White Cheddar, Topped with Guacamole, Tomato Jam and Baby Mache, Drizzled with Onion Lime Sour Creme and Tabasco Mayonnaise.

02-BeefBLT.jpg

Peppered Sliced Beef BLT with Applewood Smoked Bacon, Heirloom Tomato, Red Onion Balsamic Jam, Maytag Blue Cheese Vinaigrette, Herbal Crostini and Heirloom Tomato Jus.

03-duckcarpaccio-v2.jpg

Smoked Duck Carpaccio topped with Brie Foam, Shaved Fennel, Baby Arugula Salad with Rosemary Poached Pears and Black Pepper Honeyed White Balsamic Vinaigrette.

ROUND 2:

04-ScallopFoieGras.jpg

My favorite dish of the evening: Pan Seared Scallop Napoleon with Peach Caramelized Onion Raisin Relish topped with Roasted Foie Gras, Toasted Almonds, Raisin Jus, Vanilla Oil and dusted with Bittersweet Cocoa Powder.

06-SearedTuna.jpg

Black Peppered Tuna Loin, Tempura Green Beans, Pineapple Crab Fried Rice with Green Onion Toasted Macadamia Nuts, Drizzled with Wasabi Mayonnaise and Passion Fruit Vinaigrette.

08-Shrimp.jpg

Pan Seared Beef Strip Loin and Shrimp with Candied Shallots, Goat Cheese Fritter, Peanut Satay and Mango Vinaigrette topped with Shoestring Potato Nest.

09-Filet.jpg

Same dish as above, but you can see the beef better from this angle.

More to come - not even halfway through!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

ROUND 3:

10-CubanReuben.jpg

Cuban Reuben with Roasted Pork Loin, Shaved Parma Ham, Dill Pickle, Swiss Cheese topped with Grilled Spicy Sausage, Fried Onions and Hot Mustard Vinaigrette.

11-ShortRibs.jpg

Almond Tempura Soft Shell Crab with Hoison Soy Marinated Beef Short Ribs, Baby Bok Choy drizzled with Orange Chili Sauce with a dollop of Macerated Mandarin Oranges.

13-crabcake.jpg

Panko Crusted Crabcakes with Black Bean Corn Salsa, Guacamole, Calamari and Corn Tortillas with Chipotle Lime Creme.

ROUND 4:

15-ScallopCeviche.jpg

Scallop Ceviche with Carmelized Grilled Pineapple, Grated Macadamia Nuts, Candied Lemon Paste and Mache, dusted with Smoked Paprika, drizzled with Ceviche Marinade.

18-Shrimpparm.jpg

Pan Seared Garlic Glazed Shrimp, Fried Crab Potsticker, Zucchini Tempura, Dollop of Roasted Tomato Onion Jam and Asiago Cheese Creme.

19-SeaBass-plaintain.jpg

Cinnamon Spiced Black Bass with Duck Prosciutto over Melon Salad, drizzled with Pistachio Oil, Chopped Pistachio and Spicy Caramel Jus. This angle shows a Fried Plantain.

20-SeaBass.jpg

Another angle of the Black Bass. You can see the dish better in this shot.

Dessert was a bit of a problem. There were six choices on the menu, but we were only entitled to three. We had to make a choice!! It was harder than it sounds.

First, I got iced coffee. It was soooo good.

23-icedcoffeeunstirred.jpg

Here it is before mixing.

25-icedcoffeestirred.jpg

After mixing. My mouth is watering for that right now!

ROUND 5 (our desserts)

26-cremebrulee.jpg

Coconut Creme Brulee topped with Rum Macaroon. My selection and my favorite dessert of the night.

30-cherrychipcheesecake.jpg

Next was Vanilla Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheesecake with Almond Graham Crust, Cherry Creme Anglaise, drizzled with Chocolate Syrup.

34-chocpbcake.jpg

And Chocolate Pudding Cake with Carmelized Bananas, Hazelnut Mousse, Peanut Butter Mousse and Toasted Marshmallow Sauce, drizzled with Caramel. Yum.

The Chef sent out a complimentary dessert, as well:

31-chocwcanolicream.jpg

View one: Amaretto Soaked Chocolate Layered Cake with Cannoli Creme, Amerena Cherries Topped with Chocolate Mousse and Toasted Almonds with Espresso Cream Sauce.

32-chocwcanolicream.jpg

View two.

All in all, a wonderful meal. I did learn something, though. I think having the menu with us as we dined would have enabled us to pick out some of the more subtle components of each dish. Ah, next time!

We totally enjoyed the experience - the food, the service and the staff in general. A warm, friendly bunch!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne