• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cyma Restaurant

I ate at a Greek restaurant called, Cyma in Makati, at Greenbelt 4(?) while I was visiting family. I am just wondering what makes this restaurant popular? Both restaurants near Shangrila, EDSA and in Makati, both are always packed. I've had their salad that with a balsamic vinegar dressing, can't say they did anything wrong or bad. Their Osso Bucco, an Italian dish, is served with a hint of licorice/anise. My guess is that they use Sambuca. Has anyone eaten there? Could you please share your opinnion of their food and what you've ordered there?

• 10 months later...
I ate at a Greek restaurant called, Cyma in Makati, at Greenbelt 4(?) while I was visiting family. I am just wondering what makes this restaurant popular? Both restaurants near Shangrila, EDSA and in Makati, both are always packed. I've had their salad that with a balsamic vinegar dressing, can't say they did anything wrong or bad. Their Osso Bucco, an Italian dish, is served with a hint of licorice/anise. My guess is that they use Sambuca. Has anyone eaten there? Could you please share your opinnion of their food and what you've ordered there?

I've eaten a number of times at Cyma (Shangrila branch) and most of the time, as you said, the restaurant was packed. I guess people are drawn to it because this is one of the first upscale Greek restaurants that opened in Manila so most are curious to see what they have to offer. I've tried their lamb chops and they're tender and moist with a very nice grilled taste.... one of the best i've tasted. They also have a signature dessert with some liquor in it (just slipped my mind what it was called) .... where the waiters would ignite the booze and in unison, shout "Hoppa!" (or something that sounded like that) as they served it the dessert to the eager wide-eyed customers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've eaten a number of times at Cyma (Shangrila branch) and most of the time, as you said, the restaurant was packed.  I guess people are drawn to it because this is one of the first upscale Greek restaurants that opened in Manila so most are curious to see what they have to offer.  I've tried their lamb chops and they're tender and moist with a very nice grilled taste.... one of the best i've tasted.  They also have a signature dessert with some liquor in it (just slipped my mind what it was called) .... where the waiters would ignite the booze and in unison, shout "Hoppa!" (or something that sounded like that) as they served it the dessert to the eager wide-eyed customers.

That liquor is most likely Ouzo. My bad, I called the licorice flavour in their Osso Bucco, Sambuca, which is Italian. It probably was also Ouzo, which is Greek in origin.

Met the owners, interresting how and where their restaurant started.

Thanks