• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGfoodblog: markemorse

What are your thoughts on Dutch food (though you do make an interesting point that the Dutch themselves have widely adopted this immigrant cooking)?

Wanted to say a quick word on this...

Dutch food is undergoing a transformation at the moment. The primary influences are probably Spanish, but there is sort of a new appreciation for quality ingredients it seems. Or at least Ahold is trying to foster this consumer desire so that shoppers will pay 4 euro for ham instead of 2 euros. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens with this...now that I'm talking about it there's actually quite a bit to say about the laid-back approach most non-foodie Dutch people have toward cooking and serving meals.

But we'll save that for another time I guess. As for traditional Dutch food, I loooove the baked goods, I'm a marzipan freak. I also love worst, so there's that. The dairy products are fantastic here, not just the cheese, but things like yoghurt for example will just blow the bells off of comparable products from elsewhere. I eat a ton of fish, and they really know how to fry fish here: with almost nothing on it. I'm sure I'm forgetting hundreds of things...but, there's always next time for that. :smile:

+++

And OK, from the Department of Potential Synchronicity, y'all remember this Pringles can:

gallery_28661_4926_33189.jpg

Look a little closer, I'm not making this up (above the 170g text):

gallery_47138_4965_11415.jpg

We didn't notice until after the can had been sitting around for a few days...

see? this was all destiny, dirty dirty destiny.

+++

Later taters...thanks for reading,

mark

Edited by markemorse (log)