• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGfoodblog: markemorse

Thanks, Bill! But is there any way you can show us one pepper? Nice frog, BTW....

Oh sure -- it didn't show up well when I tried at first, because I don't have any white plates, but here are a couple on an index card.

gallery_28691_4819_263312.jpg

Frog and folding knife for ... scale, I guess.

Edited by Ktepi (log)

Isn't ketjap the sauce that mutated into what we Anglo-Americans call ketchup? My recollection is that the original sauce is thinner than the thick seasoned tomato sauce we eat. Is this sauce also made from tomatoes?

Also, is this sauce Indian or Indonesian in origin?  (I think it originated in one of those two places.)

Finally, ketjap etymology I sort of believe: from the Malay kichap or Indonesian kecap or Chinese koechiap?, it originally referred to a preserved fish sauce. English dictionaries spell it ketchup as early as 1690. English and Dutch seamen brought the sauce back to their respective countries and the mutation began. Mwaahahahahaaha.

Lots of other crazy shit was added to the original ketchup, and by 1800 the first tomato ketchup recipes were showing up in American cookbooks (this is the only bit that Wikipedia cites a source for, the rest I got from a mish mash of etymology references, this being the most believeable).

Edited by markemorse (log)

Holy moly, the pom came out amazing. Mara and I have just been sitting here in the afterglow of our pom, every minute or two uttering a "wow", "man", "geez", "amazing", etc. In fact, Mara just said "really good pom" again while I was typing that last sentence! I think it's just been such an exotic mystery treat for so long that I didn't even consider making it. But it was totally easy and absolutely yummy. Now we have to find a way for you guys to get some pomtajer and zoutvlees....

New, improved recipe and pictures in a sec.

Thanks, Bill! But is there any way you can show us one pepper? Nice frog, BTW....

Oh sure -- it didn't show up well when I tried at first, because I don't have any white plates, but here are a couple on an index card.

Frog and folding knife for ... scale, I guess.

Perfect, Bill, thanks...that answers our question!

gallery_28661_4926_3124.jpg

I'm sure there are some sacrilegious moments in this recipe, but this is exactly what I did, and it worked wonderfully. BTW, those are two slices of pickled onion from the birambie jar next to it. Very spicy substitute for the more typical atjar or cukes we tend to see served with pom here, it kind of combines the peper and zuur into one condiment.

+++

pom (surinamese chicken and pomtajer casserole).

300g chicken breast, leg, or thigh meat, or a mix of these

freshly grated nutmeg

salt and pepper

100g zoutvlees

150g butter

3 yellow onions, chopped

3 canned roma tomatoes, chopped

1 cup chicken broth

2 tbsp palm sugar

1 kilo pomtajer/new cocoyam, grated

1/3 cup celery leaves, chopped fine

the juice of 2 oranges

the juice of 1 lemon

freshly grated nutmeg

salt

pepper

Soak the zoutvlees in cold water for 30 minutes or so, then rinse and dice the meat.

gallery_28661_4926_8748.jpg

Rub the chicken pieces thoroughly in a mix of equal parts salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg. Here's my cute little nutmeg grater:

gallery_28661_4926_180.jpg

Brown the chicken pieces in a sautepan, using a little of the butter to facilitate if necessary. Add the zoutvlees and saute for 5 minutes or so, then add the rest of the butter and the onions, tomatoes, chicken broth and palm sugar, and simmer until the palm sugar melts.

gallery_28661_4926_9024.jpg

Turn off the heat.

Grab your defrosted, grated pomtajer.

gallery_28661_4926_12293.jpg

Add the orange and lemon juices and the celery leaves to the pomtajer, then add all of the liquid from the chicken mixture, and stir to integrate everything.

gallery_28661_4926_16529.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_5404.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_7395.jpg

Spread half of the pomtajer mixture along the bottom of a buttered baking dish, and then place a layer of the chicken mixture on top. Top with a layer of the pomtajer mixture. Dot the top with butter if you feel like it.

gallery_28661_4926_2506.jpg

Bake for 90 minutes at 175C. After about an hour check to see if the top is drying out. If it is, either dot some more butter on top, or if you think you've already added plenty of butter, you can mix things around in the baking pan to moisten.

gallery_28661_4926_10349.jpg

Serve with birambie (or similar homemade spicy pickles) either by itself or on a baguette for a broodje pom.

gallery_28661_4926_6832.jpg

+++

And to further toot my own horn, here's Swietie Sranang's broodje pom, for comparison:

gallery_28661_4926_4735.jpg

Aw yeah. Mine was just the tiniest tiniest bit less decadently juicy in comparison, but that's because I did skimp on the butter a little, about 50g less than I probably should've used...but my conscience was peering rudely over my shoulder in the kitchen and I just couldn't do it. I'll think I'll stick with my proportions so that my guilt is just ever so slightly less crushing.

+++

That looks so good. And I´ve never even tasted pom, but now I feel that I must, soon! It looks like true comfortfood (and just the thing you would want to eat, little bites at a time, after having a tooth/thingie-type surgery. Mara´s a lucky girl!)

Many recipes I´ve seen include cloves. Since I love cloves, do you think they would have worked with your recipe?

That looks so good. And I´ve never even tasted pom, but now I feel that I must, soon! It looks like true comfortfood (and just the thing you would want to eat, little bites at a time, after having a tooth/thingie-type surgery.  Mara´s a lucky girl!)

Many recipes I´ve seen include cloves. Since I love cloves, do you think they would have worked with your recipe?

Thaaaanks. I'm just so proud of myself! And Mara said that yes, it was perfect comfort food, also because you can easily ratchet up the spiciness based on how much birambie or peper/zuur you use. So it's not bland soft food.

I think a little clove and a little allspice might both be nice. Don't skimp on the nutmeg, either, though...that's key.

That recipe sounds really good. Instant hunger attack!

It looks like cocoyam could possibly be substituted with either taro root or malanga,

one or both of which are easily obtained in Miami, and can be obtained here also. Perhaps not with the convenience of frozen pregrated, tho.

Does the bag give any info on genus? (Yeah, right. :rolleyes:)

What does plain cocoyam taste like? (cooked, raw, whatever).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Did you find the golden sticker?  And what do you get if you do?

---

And how many of the 21,635 ingredients listed on the back of the label sound like they were produced in a nearby lab?

---

You are allowed more leeway to stray from purely food-related musings in a foodblog -- which can be as much travelogue as food diary -- than in other eG discussions.  It's perfectly acceptable -- nay, expected -- for eG Foodbloggers to show off various aspects of life in their hometowns/environments as they see fit.  (Look at all the mass transit and historical stuff I worked into my two foodblogs!) I'm sure that somebody will be serving something to eat at Amsterdam Gay Pride if it's anything like Philly's two big gay block parties (Equality Forum in May and Outfest in October), and that can be your entree.  I for one would love to see it.

1) I've been trying to think of a funny answer to this for awhile...nothing. That's not my answer, that's what I ended up with.

2) All of them? I think there might actually be potatoes involved, but ultimately their provenance is undeterminable.

3) I will at least get some shots of the canal parade, pretty sure this is 100% unique to Amsterdam. I'll also be on the lookout for "festive" street grub.

What does plain cocoyam taste like? (cooked, raw, whatever).

Yeah, that's a tough one. Nutty? a little buttery? It's hard to say because you can't eat it raw due to the oxalic acid problem, and whenever I've eaten it cooked it's been highly seasoned with assertive ingredients. Taro is probably not a bad reference point, or a mild version of boniato. Either of which would probably be pretty good in this recipe as well.

No genus info on the package, just called pomtayer.

Great blog. Everything looks tasty and interesting, but that Seroendeng condiment really caught my eye and I will be on a quest for it in local shops. Your Pom looks like ultimate comfort food and your description of your reactions to it were wonderful. The way you describe the cocoyam (aka yautia) taste put me in mind of yucca which has that buttery nutty quality although I see taro as the most commonly referred to substitute. Really looking forward to the rest of your week.

Just to add a little more confusion to the discussion, per the Oxford Companion to Food: "In W. Africa, where both taro and malanga are staple foods"...New Cocoyam is the name given to Malanga and Old Cocoyam is the name used for Taro.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

First, best wishes to Mara for a speedy recovery.

This has been a particularly enjoyable blog so far, and I am looking forward to the rest of your week. Your discursive writing rewards close reading, and I both enjoy and envy your fantastic international markets. The cooking of Surinam seems to have strong similarities to that of Trinidad, as described by a friend from that island.

So much of what you have described is surprising and/or revelatory – the fascinating history of the Indische kitchen, the lack of jalapenos in Amsterdam, the demographics of Suriname, and the availability of the same brands of Indonesian sambals in Amsterdam and Maryland.

I noticed what looks like yard-long beans – one of my favorite veggies – at Toko Hangalampoe. Do you often cook with yard-long beans?

Did you speak Dutch before moving to Amsterdam, or did you learn by necessity?

Good day, o ye who still follows along. It's Friday, a beautiful morning, I slept through the night, etc. From our outside hallway you can look into the back courtyard and see and hear the kids playing in the daycare/nursery across the way:

gallery_28661_4926_8449.jpg

Ah, summer. Suffused with positivty I am.

+++

Thanks to everyone for their pom comments. I will sort out the actual USA names of the pomtajer...I think it's a Googleable problem, but probably a bit too timesinkish for today's schedule. I met someone last Saturday who can probably help...I'll email her now.

+++

Last Saturday on my way to Kwakoe, I stopped off at the Imagine IC culture/gallery space to see an exhibit called Pom op het menu (Pom on the menu).

Imagine IC describes itself as a "center for the visual representation of migration and cultures", where they try to "highlight the culture and identity of migrants as seen from their own perspective." Perfectly timely, I'd say.

Anyway, Pom op het menu is an exhibit entirely devoted to pom, in words, image, and sound...from its history to its current preparations. Immediately upon entering, there were 20 or so pom recipes clipped to a clothesline, serving to highlight the individuality and potential expressiveness of different cooks' preparations.

gallery_28661_4926_208.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_10007.jpg

Around the corner there were several displays of ingredients and implements:

gallery_28661_4926_7721.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_12219.jpg

And a tasting station, sadly not serving when I was there. The text says "you have to try it with tomato ketchup"...which I will in a moment.

gallery_28661_4926_13572.jpg

In the next room, people on TV screens talked about making pom and what it meant to them:

gallery_28661_4926_5519.jpg

and finally I came face to face with the taxonomy-resistant tuber itself:

gallery_28661_4926_13684.jpg

+++

OK, a gallery exhibition devoted to a dish that none of you have ever heard of, and that even someone as culinarily-obsessed (if I may be so bold) as Chufi has never tasted might sound a bit crazy, but...

...if there's one thing about the Indische kitchen that I probably haven't properly conveyed yet, it's that it can be found almost everywhere in Amsterdam. This link from the Pom op het menu website is a tiny (but growing) subset of places in the city where you can enjoy pom. I can easily think of maybe even twice as many places that aren't listed, and I'm no pom expert.

When I was at our biggest, boringest grocery store chain Albert Heijn yesterday (I know...I was looking for soft foods), I wandered over to the microwaveable section and I was just blown away by how many pre-made Indische meals are available. Unfortunately they're hardcore about no pictures, but in terms of shelf space, the proportion of Indische microwaveable options (nasi goreng, babi pangang, bami with chicken satay) is comparable to the number of traditional Dutch options here's their online shopping page for microwaveable meals that should give you an idea.

As you can see here, every Albert Heijn (and there must be 100 of them in Amsterdam) has ketjap manis, kroepoek, sambal oelek, atjar tjampoer, seroendeng, coconut milk, nasi goreng, bami, peanut sate sauce, dried galangal or laos, and more that I'm sure I'm forgetting. The bigger stores carry more cook-centric ingredients like candlenut paste and trassi, along with a wider selection of sambals.

My point is: this food is no longer truly exotic here. For example, it's much more integrated into daily food life here than Mexican food is in America. And I just realized that Albert Heijn probably had a lot to do with this: they started carrying Indonesian products in the 1970s. OK, so they're not (or at some point weren't) all bad.

Another factor is that the Netherlands is physically a much smaller and less heterogeneous country than America, so it was easier for the Indische influence to spread everywhere...

My point is: this food is no longer truly exotic here. For example, it's much more integrated into daily food life here than Mexican food is in America. And I just realized that Albert Heijn probably had a lot to do with this: they started carrying Indonesian products in the 1970s. OK, so they're not all bad.

Another factor is that the Netherlands is physically a much smaller and less heterogeneous country than America, so it was easier for the Indische influence to spread everywhere...

It's true, but, I think it's only true for the Indische/Indonesian foods. Everybody knows sate and bami, or at least the not so spicy not so authentic Dutch renditions of these originally Indonesian foods. I mean all the Dutch people know about these foods. But I feel that the Surinamese foods have stayed much more within the Surinamese community and did not spread or become as popular among non-Surinamese people. This difference is interesting.

Edited by Chufi (log)

My point is: this food is no longer truly exotic here. For example, it's much more integrated into daily food life here than Mexican food is in America. And I just realized that Albert Heijn probably had a lot to do with this: they started carrying Indonesian products in the 1970s. OK, so they're not all bad.

It's true, but, I think it's only true for the Indische/Indonesian foods. Everybody knows sate and bami, or at least the not so spicy not so authentic Dutch renditions of these originally Indonesian foods. I mean all the Dutch people know about thhese foods. But I feel that the Surinamese foods have stayed much more within the Surinamese community and did not spread or become as popular among non-Surinamese people. This distinction is interesting.

I agree, but I also think it's a bit tough to purely separate out the Surinamese stuff (unless we're talking about pom specifically) because so there's so much cross-pollination across cultural divisions. I'm looking at the Long Chie menu right now, they call themselves a Surinamese restaurant that serves Chinese specialties. But the menu has things like babi pangang, nasi goreng, gado-gado, chicken sate, etc. on it, all of which, strictly speaking, is neither. You know? More discussion on this after my morning meetings.

I agree, but I also think it's a bit tough to purely separate out the Surinamese stuff because so there's so much cross-pollination across cultural divisions. I'm looking at the Long Chie menu right now, they call themselves a Surinamese restaurant that serves Chinese specialties. But the menu has things like babi pangang, nasi goreng, gado-gado, chicken sate, etc. on it, all of which, strictly speaking, is neither. You know? More discussion on this after my morning meetings.

Yes. I'm thoroughly confused now. :wacko:

Maybe I was just trying to defend myself, the Foodie who Never Tasted Pom..... :wink:

Congratulations on sleeping well last night, and enjoy the rush of positivity! I'm having the same today.

I'm so impressed that you scheduled this pom-obsessed blog to coincide with a recent visit to a pom exhibition.

I love this blog! God job, you're commiting yourself in full while dealing with a lot of "outside" issues... whoa.

My question is easy - why are you embedding a number (altho silent) in Jo3n's name? Is this some new "hip" thing, a Dutch thing or just your creativity?

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

But I feel that the Surinamese foods have stayed much more within the Surinamese community and did not spread or become as popular among non-Surinamese people.

Don't know when I'll get to post again today, but just wanted to say in brief: this is totally true, Chufi, if we're talking about purely Surinamese dishes like bakkeljauw (a shredded salt cod dish), or telo (fried cassava), these have remained very much in the Surinamese community and you won't find them at Albert Heijn. There are some exceptions, such as pindasoep and roti, which are in fact on AH shelves.

But by and large, I think this distinction reflects the integration of Surinamers into Dutch society as a whole: the larger waves of long-term Surinamese migration to the Netherlands happened 20 years or so after the process of Indonesian integration began, and it's been a much more problematic and generally less transparent situation as well. A full discussion of this subject quickly becomes more about the complex and sensitive issues of politics and immigration policies than it does about food, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for it...I'm definitely not qualified to speak on it with any kind of authority.

But in a nutshell...you're right. :smile:

This blip of confusion is my fault...I was trying to steer things in an Indonesian direction in preparation for today's possible rijsttafel. I just didn't really make that clear. :raz:

ETA: all kinds of things, including finally spelling rijsttafel correctly thanks to Chufi.

I love this blog!  God job, you're commiting yourself in full while dealing with a lot of "outside" issues... whoa.

My question is easy - why are you embedding a number (altho silent) in Jo3n's name?  Is this some new "hip" thing, a Dutch thing or just your creativity?

Well, it is creativity, but not mine: a dear old friend who is an undersung and terrific poet wrote a sarcastic poem in 1979 about fellow poet John Ashberry's willful and incessant indecipherability called “A Still from the Movie Jo3n”. Jo3n the kitty's name didn't originally have the silent 3 in it, but it showed up over time as a tribute to our friend Terrill. I'll see if I can get him to shoot me a copy of the poem.

This has been a particularly enjoyable blog so far, and I am looking forward to the rest of your week. Your discursive writing rewards close reading, and I both enjoy and envy your fantastic international markets. The cooking of Surinam seems to have strong similarities to that of Trinidad, as described by a friend from that island.

So much of what you have described is surprising and/or revelatory – the fascinating history of the Indische kitchen, the lack of jalapenos in Amsterdam, the demographics of Suriname, and the availability of the same brands of Indonesian sambals in Amsterdam and Maryland.

I noticed what looks like yard-long beans – one of my favorite veggies – at Toko Hangalampoe. Do you often cook with yard-long beans?

Thanks Bruce (and Jamie Lee and Catriona and everyone else) for the encouragement....

Re: yard-long beans...I don't cook with them all that often. I do eat them on a regular basis, they're a common ingredient in Suriname sandwiches, usually served with either shrimp or zoutvlees on a baguette and called a broodje kouseband.

In yet another cross-cultural naming snafu, kouseband is the Surinamese name for the long bean pictured above. Googling it turns up articles that describe it as being of West African descent. Are they the same thing as yard-long beans? IDFK. :laugh:

---

Oops, forgot some things.

1) Thanks! She's not feeling much pain right now, which is good...let's hope that continues. On the down side, it looks like she's got a baseball tucked in her cheek.

2) This question assumes that I speak Dutch now. :laugh: It's a complicated subject. I now completely, fully understand why many immigrants choose to stay semi-isolated within their own immigrant communities: immigration is emotionally and philosophically hard work. Transferring yourself from an environment in which you are thoroughly competent, maybe even exceptionally successful, to a daily life in which you are constantly reminded of a newfound inarticulacy and relative helplessness can be...a challenge. Using your mother tongue expressively reassures you that you are still the same old great person you've always been, especially when the people to whom you're speaking really get everything you're saying.

I generally speak Dutch in public, shopping, at restaurants, the post office, the foreign police, when dealing with local customers, etc. I generally do not speak Dutch socially...most of my close friends here are people (Dutch or otherwise) who like speaking English. For me, it was a necessary security blanket during a rocky, thoroughly life-altering few years. I'm a Bad Immigrant (you've seen Bad Lieutenant, right? I'm like that).

Mara, on the other hand, speaks Dutch quite well (or so people tell her), and she's worked very hard at it. She can pretty comfortably navigate an evening of dinner conversation in Dutch, for example. I just feel like a Bad Immigrant. :smile: I can understand 95% of what people are saying, especially if they're from Amsterdam....but I just don't say much. :raz: My reading comprehension is pretty good (it's all about context), but my writing sucks.

bakkeljauw (a shredded salt cod dish)
I had to stare at that for a minute until I recognized the Portuguese Bacalhau.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com