• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGfoodblog: markemorse

OK, OK...here it is, the mystery ingredient, revealed:

gallery_28661_4926_13848.jpg

In the version we see here in the Netherlands, commercially made seroendeng is typically a mix of something like 60% toasted coconut, 25% roasted peanuts, brown sugar, ground coriander, salt, galanga root, ground cumin, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary. As I said, it's very common to find it even in normal, unexciting grocery stores.

It's traditionally designed to be sprinkled on rice, but here we also see it in restaurants on top of Indonesian salads like gado-gado or sprinkled on satays. To me, along with sambal oelek and nasi goreng spice mixes, its sheer ubiquity says a lot about how deeply integrated Indonesian concepts are with Dutch eating patterns.

And...it tastes really good. I'm a sucker for coriander seed. I used 2 tbsp of seroendeng in Monday night's shrimp "escabeche". It's like Shrimp Helper (as if shrimp needed help).

+++

Tonight, an early cocktail hour that was designed to catapult us outside into the evening sunshine and some terrace dining instead left us kind of...eh...wanting to just hang out here and nibble some comforting food. If I don't get the pics up tonight, I'll do it in the morning...we'll see! Thanks for staying tuned....

Edited by markemorse (log)

gallery_6263_3_9533.jpg

About my teaser pic: the immigrant kitchen in which I'm currently most interested is that of Suriname. The item pictured is called pomtajer in Dutch, the most common English name is new cocoyam. Scientifically speaking, it's a member of the genus Xanthosoma.

Pomtajer is a tuber that provides the basis of the Surinamese national dish, pom, which I am in love with. This week I will 1) eat pom 2) make pom 3) try to convey what pom tastes like, because it's not really like any other one thing 4) try to convey what pom means to the Surinamese.

Mark i am really enjoying this blog from Breda !!

No offense to other americans but i think u must be one of the few ones that know so much about Suriname.

This is such a coincedence when i saw this pic i had to respond.

Back in january i went to suriname......I went to visit my deceased grandparents house(in domburg) where my aunt and uncle live now. It's changed alot sice it's been 11 years since i was there. They build that pom taya company there and my aunt works there. I forgot but she did tell me they export it to holland.I need to get me some.

I am visiting my mom and brother here in breda for the first time .

We also went to the Kwakoe festival on 15th of july and had some great bamie met kip .

I am in amsterdam on friday ...i would love to meet u and klary if possible

Ashiana

Hey Ashiana! I was really hoping that you would show up here on this foodblog...I don't know anyone else on eG who has any actual ties with Suriname (at least I don't think I do: please remind/excuse me if I'm wrong about this). My schedule is still a bit up in the air this weekend, but let's PM about a potential get-together (BTW, I'm a bit behind on answering PMs, so: very sorry if any of you haven't heard back from me, it's only a matter of time before you do)...

+++

Speaking of my schedule and this weekend, remember I mentioned upthread that there were fun and unique things going on. One of them is the Kwakoe Festival that kaneel referenced. The link explains it all, and I'll say more about it when I make another visit to it this Sunday, but in brief it's a huge multicultural festival that happens every summer on 6 to 8 weekends in southern Amsterdam. In the past the festival was aimed specifically at celebrating Suriname, Antillean and African cultures, but the organizers' focus is apparently widening a bit (according to their PR).

I made a trial visit this past Saturday because I'd never been to Kwakoe before, and let me say: wowee zowee, it was like being on vacation. A totally relaxed and friendly vibe with tons of interesting food. The only downside was that I couldn't really eat very much because I was there in the afternoon, and I was having dinner at Marius mere hours later with Chufi. :laugh: This weekend? I will leave no stone unturned, especially if it's a stone made out of barbecued pork. As a teaser, let me show you some pics from last weekend:

+++

I'd never been there before, but as I entered the Bijlmerpark there were indications that I was in the right place:

gallery_28661_4926_1861.jpg

This picture doesn't convey either the smell of grilling pork and chicken or the 31 different simultaneous reggae/reggaeton/dancehall tracks I could hear echoing over the trees.

Once you're inside, it's just stall after stall of Surinamese food. Like 100 stalls. I wasn't even there at a peak time, this was 3pm. There were stalls specializing in BBQ:

gallery_28661_4926_20117.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_15830.jpg

lots of grill stations:

gallery_28661_4926_22797.jpg

an almost equal number of Hindustani/Javan stands selling plain and stuffed bara and rotis:

gallery_28661_4926_11331.jpg

Here's someone pressing out bara dough to be fried in the vat next to him:

gallery_28661_4926_17337.jpg

There were quite a few fruit and veg stands selling Surinamese staples:

gallery_28661_4926_18036.jpg

On the left, tajerblad, the leaf of the pomtajer plant, used in calalloo-like dishes (kaneel, any idea what the other greens are?):

gallery_28661_4926_22821.jpg

There were plenty of places to sit down and eat if you felt like getting out of the sun:

gallery_28661_4926_9673.jpg

But what I was really looking for was The Place With The Big Long Line in Front of It. You know what I mean. Since I had a limited amount of eating I could do, and didn't know anything about any of the vendors, this was the only indication I would have of what was really good.

And this place had the longest line, which was not painfully long b/c of the time of day I assume:

gallery_28661_4926_9978.jpg

What did I end up with? Welll, one interesting result of Suriname's proximity to French colonial outposts is a tradition of French-style sausages like bloedworst (blood sausage). I've had Surinamese bloedworst before, so I decided to try the non-blood-filled varkensworst, or pork sausage. These were waiting for me in a large simmering cauldron, and when serving it the very helpful young man (young like 12, maybe?) behind the counter asked if I wanted peper and zuur. Note: you always want peper (typically sambal or a chile relish) and zuur (pickles of various types). :raz:

This is what he handed me:

gallery_28661_4926_9440.jpg

A soft, andouillette-style coarsely ground sausage, topped with a habanero/adjoema piccalilly that was just barely mustardy, and finished with a spoonful of vinegary allspice-spiked broth. Much better than it looks, nicely spiced, very tasty. But I'm not sold on the whole boiled sausage thing, especially when there's a hot grill 3 feet away. Must be the American in me.

G-B: yikes! Im glad to hear Mara is recovered.

Thanks, Kouign, yeah, it sucked but we were very very lucky due to completely unlikely swift diagnosis and treatment in Siena, Tuscany...they were great.

Bananas did get made, kind of in that vein, pictures later today (which is still tomorrow for many of you)...

That seroendeng sounds like just my thing, but what it looks like is a handful of mealworms and sawdust like you'd feed a pet lizard. Urp.

I'll have to come to Kwakoe next summer, it looks delicious.

Right...that's exactly the effect I was going for in that photo, mealworms and sawdust (in fact I used that setting on my camera!). I hope that, if nothing else, this blog has made it absolutely clear that there is only one blogging eG food photographer worth any amount of salt in Amsterdam, and her name? Klary Koopmans (to be delivered in the toothpick-mouthed voice of Eddie Murphy during the redneck bar scene in 48hrs). Y'all be cool, y'hear? :wink:

Haven't caught up on the thread---just saw your windows above the tree.  Since you spoke of a squatters' nest type building---how do you handle your electricity and water, etc.?

Hey racheld....since "we're" ("we" meaning: there are 15 private or business occupants of the building....moving in [after a long interview process] means that you're part of a committee that manages the building) the legal occupants at this point (and have been for a couple decades), it's just normal utilities stuff...we're treated the same as any other structure in the city that needs water, sewage, electricity, internet....

Last night we'd planned on doing something "fun", so we calculated the proper trajectory and fueled up via some Grimbergen blondes:

gallery_28661_4926_20584.jpg

but the launch was eventually cancelled due to risk management concerns....we decided not to risk putting the pots and pans in strange hands last night, and just cooked some things we've been enjoying lately.

+++

We started by finishing a very fresh marinated goat cheese purchased by Jen, Ken, and Martha at the Saturday organic market that Chufi blogged about. It was extremely delicious, but not very appetizing looking at this late stage in its life. We spread it on the remainders of Monday's Turkish baguette while we assembled the tools for the next phase:

gallery_28661_4926_9027.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_7405.jpg

The rest after Nurse Morse does his rounds.

+++

Unsurprisingly, I roasted the caulifower in what has become known as the eGullet style:

gallery_28661_4926_9829.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_13324.jpg

And Mara decided to use the rest of Monday's bag of frozen shrimp by making a variation of gambas al pil pil, which is apparently a classic Spanish beach tapa. We've eaten a lot of gambas in olive oil since we've lived in Amsterdam, but this twist came via an eetcafe named Castell in Zaandam (Mara also said she had an awesome steak there).

We've been playing with variations on this over the last couple months...it's possible to take it in a very Spanish direction by using olive oil and adding a bay leaf and a pinch of saffron, but we've been experimenting with something a bit simpler: Mara's normal recipe is something like this.

gallery_28661_4926_5586.jpg

gambas al pilli pilli.

1/4 cup neutral oil, we used sunflower today

2 tbsp butter

6 to 8 pilli-pilli chiles (these might be AKA guindilla chiles? anyone?)

1/2 large onion, chopped, this is optional

1 roasted or fresh red pepper, cut into fat julienne (we actually subbed a tomato today)

salt and pepper

12 shrimp, halved lengthwise

2 tbsp butter

3-6 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup celery leaves or parsley, chopped

Add oil and butter to wok, saute the little pilli pilli chiles for 5 minutes or so to infuse the liquid with a little heat. Then add onion and pepper (and/or tomato if using) and saute until tender or however you like your onions. Bring the sauce to taste via salt and pepper. Remove the sauce from the pan and reserve.

Heat the wok to high, melt the 2 tbsp of butter and then add the shrimpies. Saute for a minute or two, until they're almost done, then add the reserved sauce and the garlic, and heck, a bit more butter if you feel lucky. Leave on heat for another minute or two until everything's warmed through, then serve in an earthenware bowl with lots of good bread for dipping. You could remove the chiles first if you were serving guests who are chile-sensitive: these are hot. Garnish with the herbs if you want. Serves 2.

gallery_28661_4926_13482.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_9635.jpg

We had some nice-looking green beans that we almost cooked, but some unseen person flipped the switch on the underachievement generator again and we just kinda looked at each other and at the green beans and said "meh".

+++

Since we'd planned on dining out, we had zero dessert fixins in the house, so I skipped downstairs, out the door, across a canal:

gallery_28661_4926_8121.jpg

to De Avondmarkt:

gallery_28661_4926_6130.jpg

De Avondmarkt is easily one of the best things about our new neighborhood, it's a late-opening independent supermarket run by people with taste.

I didn't take too many pictures because there's a rather detailed photo tour on their website (linked above), and it just kinda felt weird as well...I go here almost every day and didn't want to freak anyone out.

Anyway, their best features, other than being right around the corner and open every single day until midnight (such a rarity in Europe, as you probably know) are their beer and wine sections:

gallery_28661_4926_29223.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_18693.jpg

This is just the beer and refrigerated wines, there's a whole 'nother wine department in the back.

Another highlight is their cheese section. The top shelf here is all blue cheeses:

gallery_28661_4926_13119.jpg

And they are pretty good about regularly adding new cheeses...here's the "this just in" sign:

gallery_28661_4926_11909.jpg

You can maybe figure most of this out...here are some photos of some of the new releases:

A blue goat cheese:

gallery_28661_4926_9645.jpg

Left: cow's milk cheese from the Vendée, and on the right, a raw cow's milk farmer's cheese, ripened 6 to 12 months:

gallery_28661_4926_14159.jpg

And a handmade goat cheese from Spain:

gallery_28661_4926_1132.jpg

But I didn't buy any cheese. I was here for dessert, which I did get. I was also keeping an eye out for freaky flavors of snacks that I might share with you. The Doritos weren't quite odd enough:

gallery_28661_4926_6720.jpg

but I did want a palate destroyer for the pre-dessert course, so I picked up the one thing that screamed "only in Amsterdam" the loudest:

gallery_28661_4926_33189.jpg

These were, eh...Pringles with a bit of green chile zing. Or lab zing, whatever. But it's hard to figure out the name of this flavor: the chips aren't orange, like you might expect. And though orange is the historic national colour of the Netherlands, (from Dutch founding father William of Orange), the powdered peppers on the ingredient list are jalapeños, probably not grown here, I don't think I've ever seen fresh jalapeños here. Oranje is the nickname of the Dutch soccer team, but the dude pictured on the Pringles can is just loafing around on something called a Fatboy. I don't know.

OK. I think that catches us up from yesterday. Oh, except for dessert, which was sauteed bananas in a palm sugar caramel over H-D vanilla ice cream. Photos are currently AWOL, I feel like my mom. I would call me for tech support if I could, but I'm too busy.

+++

Today's breakfast: a bara with peper and a homebrewed gemberbier (ginger beer) for me; coffee and a chocolate chip cookie for the victim. Post-op lunch: mashed potatoes and pepper gravy, something I've not cooked very often, but boy was it good. No pictures 'cos the color scheme was...a bit absent.

gallery_28661_4926_11421.jpg

+++

Just to give you an idea of what is hopefully coming up:

Tonight: I will hopefully be making pom and other soft foods for the baby bird. If my pom sucks, I'll go get Chinese from Long Chie. Or maybe Indonesian. For me, I mean, not her.

Friday: I have kind of a busy day that's getting busier by the minute, running around town for meetings and things, but I'm going to try to visit our little Chinatown. I was going to do dim sum, but I think I'll maybe do a rijsttafel instead, and talk about how Indonesian and Dutch food have influenced each other. Note to self: BIRTHDAY PRESENT.

Saturday: A friend is having a birthday picnic in the Westerpark, and then there's the Amsterdam Gay Pride canal parade. We usually end up canalside or somewhere relevant for this fun and often hilarious event. I haven't figured out how to foodblog it yet though. :raz: I also wanted to do a day of Turkish and Moroccan food, so this will probably be it.

Sunday: Kwakoe festival with a motley crew of carnivores.

Anything I'm missing?

+++

OK, off to the hospital. Last night's pics go up when I get back, but here's a teaser:

gallery_28661_4926_33189.jpg

This can sported the War and Peace of ingredient lists. :wink:

So you explained later on the "orange" connection, though I still don't quite see how all that translates into calling this flavor (I'm guessing) "summer heat orange pepper", but what I want to know is:

Did you find the golden sticker? And what do you get if you do?

And how many of the 21,635 ingredients listed on the back of the label sound like they were produced in a nearby lab?

[...gotta try this roasted cauliflower stuff soon...sounds addictive...]

We've been playing with variations on this over the last couple months...it's possible to take it in a very Spanish direction by using olive oil and adding a bay leaf and a pinch of saffron, but we've been experimenting with something a bit simpler: Mara's normal recipe is something like this.

gallery_28661_4926_5586.jpg

gambas al pilli pilli.

1/4 cup neutral oil, we used sunflower today

2 tbsp butter

6 to 8 pilli-pilli chiles (these might be AKA guindilla chiles? anyone?)

1/2 large onion, chopped, this is optional

1 roasted or fresh red pepper, cut into fat julienne (we actually subbed a tomato today)

salt and pepper

12 shrimp, halved lengthwise

2 tbsp butter

3-6 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup celery leaves or parsley, chopped

Add oil and butter to wok, saute the little pilli pilli chiles for 5 minutes or so to infuse the liquid with a little heat. Then add onion and pepper (and/or tomato if using) and saute until tender or however you like your onions. Bring the sauce to taste via salt and pepper. Remove the sauce from the pan and reserve.

Heat the wok to high, melt the 2 tbsp of butter and then add the shrimpies. Saute for a minute or two, until they're almost done, then add the reserved sauce and the garlic, and heck, a bit more butter if you feel lucky. Leave on heat for another minute or two until everything's warmed through, then serve in an earthenware bowl with lots of good bread for dipping. You could remove the chiles first if you were serving guests who are chile-sensitive: these are hot. Garnish with the herbs if you want. Serves 2.

gallery_28661_4926_13482.jpg

gallery_28661_4926_9635.jpg

This now makes two foodblogs in the space of a month in which piri-piri (pilli-pilli) chiles have made an appearance. I've even gotten a recipe for piri-piri sauce (its original application in an eG Foodblog context) which uses no piri-piri peppers, for AFAIK, these peppers are native to southern Africa and scare, if available at all, in the United States. This is one food item I'd love to find on these shores. Anyone know whether that's possible, and if so, where? (The peppers, not the sauce. I understand from the other foodblog that the leading brand of piri-piri sauce is available at some specialty grocers in the US.)

Saturday: A friend is having a birthday picnic in the Westerpark, and then there's the Amsterdam Gay Pride canal parade. We usually end up canalside or somewhere relevant for this fun and often hilarious event. I haven't figured out how to foodblog it yet though.  :raz:  I also wanted to do a day of Turkish and Moroccan food, so this will probably be it.

Sunday: Kwakoe festival with a motley crew of carnivores.

You are allowed more leeway to stray from purely food-related musings in a foodblog -- which can be as much travelogue as food diary -- than in other eG discussions. It's perfectly acceptable -- nay, expected -- for eG Foodbloggers to show off various aspects of life in their hometowns/environments as they see fit. (Look at all the mass transit and historical stuff I worked into my two foodblogs!) I'm sure that somebody will be serving something to eat at Amsterdam Gay Pride if it's anything like Philly's two big gay block parties (Equality Forum in May and Outfest in October), and that can be your entree. I for one would love to see it.

I note from the Kwakoe festival site you linked upthread that slavery was abolished in Suriname (then Dutch Guiana, IIRC) on 1 July 1863. That's six months to the day after the Emancipation Proclamation took effect in the US territories then in rebellion. It's also the same year that Czar Peter the Great freed the serfs in Russia. Must've been something in the air that year.

Edited to add: Since we're talking orange, I have an Orange Savings Account. Does that qualify me for some sort of honorary Dutchness?

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

This now makes two foodblogs in the space of a month in which piri-piri (pilli-pilli) chiles have made an appearance.  I've even gotten a recipe for piri-piri sauce (its original application in an eG Foodblog context) which uses no piri-piri peppers, for AFAIK, these peppers are native to southern Africa and scare, if available at all, in the United States.  This is one food item I'd love to find on these shores.  Anyone know whether that's possible, and if so, where?  (The peppers, not the sauce.  I understand from the other foodblog that the leading brand of piri-piri sauce is available at some specialty grocers in the US.)

gallery_28691_4819_76908.jpg

I bought these at Hannaford's, a decent but not exhaustive grocery store; they're imported from Spain by Source Atlantique in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. (And they're very tasty on sandwiches or red beans and rice.)

I bought these at Hannaford's, a decent but not exhaustive grocery store; they're imported from Spain by Source Atlantique in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.  (And they're very tasty on sandwiches or red beans and rice.)

Thanks, Bill! But is there any way you can show us one pepper? Nice frog, BTW....