• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flank $teak

They don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothing. It's $14.95 because it's Whole Foods and they can. So they do.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

What they said.

I rarely, if ever buy meat at Whole Foods. It's just outrageously expensive for what you get. I find equal quality at Harry Ochs in the Terminal or even at some of the Italian Market butchers, depending on the cut.

Speaking of Italian Market butchers, has anyone tried out the Mexican butcher shop on 9th Street? I can't remember the name or exact cross street, but I passed it the other day returning from Taquitos de la Puebla after an al Pastor fix.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

flank is usually $8.99 at ochs.

it used to be cheap until people realized it's the best cheap steak cut, at which point it got expensive. kinda like happened with chicken wings.

edited: i don't mean to imply ochs raised their price on it; i mean the price of flank went up everywhere.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

I've been buying my Flank steaks at Costco lately and while I don't remember the price I paid, I was very happy with the quality. Based on the quality of the NY Strips I got there, I would try Giunta's at RTM, as well but, again, I don't know what their price is.

p.s. another note: if you look at old cookbooks, a lot of flank steak recipes involve braising them; even stuffing and braising. i'm thinking of a recipe in jacques pepin's complete techniques that i don't feel like looking up right now. also vaca frita, the great cuban dish, is often made with a flank steak that is braised before frying.

my personal theory is that it was just years before it kind of registered with everyone that you can defeat the toughness of the steak by cooking it less and slicing across the grain... and at that point it's considered 'steak' rather than 'beef' and therefore the price went up. that's what seems to have happened, anyway. i'm sure someone will be along to prove me wrong or something, but until then that's my theory and i'm stickin to it.

(edited to actually make my point)

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

I've been buying my Flank steaks at Costco lately and while I don't remember the price I paid, I was very happy with the quality.  Based on the quality of the NY Strips I got there, I would try Giunta's at RTM, as well but, again, I don't know what their price is.

iirc, the flank steaks at Giunta's sell for about $8 or $9. (I haven't tried the flank steak from Giunta yet, but the hanger and skirt steaks, which are a little less expensive, are very tasty.) The one I bought at Harry Ochs this past Saturday went for $8.95. I'll try to double-check the prices on my next visit and post them.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Here in the burbs flank is $7.99 at Genuardi's and occasioanlly goes on sale for $5.99. The only place I can find skirt steak is at the Giant on Chemical Road in Conshohocken. Only that Giant, not the others.

A new Whole Foods is being built in the parking lot of the Plymouth Meeting mall. Along with many higher end chain restaurants. If no one goes to that mall for shopping, maybe they'll go to eat.

Whole Foods has what I call "gourmet tax". And while the service at RTM and 9th street are an exception, WF offers much better counter service than Genuardi's and especially Giant.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Here's the pricing of flank steak at the RTM today:

$7.99 Martin's Quality Meats

$8.99 Harry Ochs

$6.89 L. Halteman

$7.99 Giunta's Prime Shop

The hanger and skirt steaks at Giunta's were selling for $8.99

Or you could buy, for $11.50/pound, already-cooked flank steak (expresso rubbed) at one of the newer vendors, Everyday Gourmet (located in Andro's former spot). That's only a modest premium, after considering the weight loss in cooking.

Robert's Market Report

Whole Foods update. I went back because Wholefoods is the only place I can get Haagen Dazs Pomegranate Chocolate Chip ice cream.

In their service meat case the flank steak and the boneless rib eye steak are both priced at 14.99 a pound.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Whole Foods update. . . .

In their service meat case the flank steak and the boneless rib eye steak are both priced at 14.99 a pound.

I've generally found the quality of the meat at Whole Foods pretty good. But, as a general rule, not of good value when compared to other sellers.

The beef at Guinta's Prime Shop is also hormone-free, grass-fed and all-natural; I doubt Charles is selling it at a loss, and he doesn't have nearly the buying power of Whole Foods.

Robert's Market Report