• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to Showcase Super Fresh Eggs

pansophia

So I poached my first eggs yesterday and holy cow - am I hooked. In fact, I'm having it for a late lunch again today.

Both chickens are laying as off two days ago so we will really start using the eggs. How amazing to get home from errands, pop into the coop, grab the two eggs, and then head into the kitchen to make lunch.

It's really amazing and I'm so glad we decided to do this!

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

I was going to add my vote for poaching them. It's a great way to really enjoy the essence of the egg.

Poached and served on some toasted rye for breakfast. poached and served on some frisee along with some lardons for a nice lunch salad.

I am glad you are liking the poached egg. Also, give the French scrambled egg method mentioned above a try. it does take a long time, but it delivers a srambled egg with little, creamy curds. It's just fantastic.

and don't forget, eggs like salt.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Don't forget you can poach eggs in just about any liquid or fat. Duck fat poached farm fresh eggs--now that's decadent. But also things like tomato juice are interesting. Milk or broth is interesting too. Don't know how wine would be.

Also apparently you can cool and reheat poached eggs, although I have never tried this myself.

Don't forget you can poach eggs in just about any liquid or fat. Duck fat poached farm fresh eggs--now that's decadent. But also things like tomato juice are interesting. Milk or broth is interesting too. Don't know how wine would be.

Also apparently you can cool and reheat poached eggs, although I have never tried this myself.

eggs poached in red wine is a classic french dish.

PS: I am a guy.

Do you wash the eggs? If you just towel the most excessive mess off, the eggs will keep unrefrigerated for months.

Next time you are in Europe notice that eggs there aren't refrigerated in the markets. Here [uSA] the government requires one to wash off natures protective coating on the shells which make the egg susceptible to all kind of nasties if you don't keep it in the reefer.

Of course, the problem will only become a problem when you let the quantity increase beyond two or three a day that are instantly eaten.

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

http://www.ecookbooks.com/ has "Eggs" by Michel Roux on sale for about $10. Nice book!

We live in a place that we can't keep hens at our house, but we can keep and breed Rottweilers. Our chicken fetish got us into 20 acres. We pared down our 130 bird flock to 20 this year so we could have a life. It's just too hard to explain to people how nice they are.

Your soil should improve over time and you may want to plant some seed-bearing cover crop for them.

fry an egg sunny side up (barely cook it!!!) ..two eggs for me and I love this with duck eggs

then slip them onto a reheated enchilada

a dab of sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro

fking A that is my all time favorite way to eat a perfect fresh egg!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Another one I've gotten hooked on recently is scrambling eggs in truffle butter. (Dartagnan makes it -- in this part of the country, t's available at Wegmans). For more earthy decadence, make an omlette with said truffle butter and stuff it with gruyere and sauted chantrelles.

BTW, how do you add pics to a post? (newbie question from a newbie)

Edited by Vicious Wadd (log)

my family used to make "black eggy". start by melting butter in a saute pan and add ground beef.(about 2-3 ounces for 2 jumbo eggs). stir around and break up beef until almost cooked then add eggs and about 3 -4 tablespoons of milk and scramble until cooked but still a touch runny. then plate and season with salt and a little hot sauce. saracha is very good with these. yumm!

Don't forget eggs over asparagus....

And I really like Shirred Eggs aka Baked Eggs. It seems to really show off fresh eggs - perhaps because you don't really do anything to them - just crack them into ramekins over a little butter or olive oil (or over a little cream if you want to get fancy) and bake them for 10 or 15 minutes at 375 or so.

Robin Tyler McWaters

I suddenly realized that my photos of the girls were from when they first came home so I took some more.  Sadly, I have the crappy camera and my photography trained husband is at work.

Eddy is the friendlier of the two, always comes over and says hi!

eddy.jpg

Patsy is a bit older, she's the one laying the lovely eggs.

patsy.jpg

Enjoying a bit of "free ranging" (if my mangy backyard counts as a range!)

edspats.jpg

I appreciate the Ab Fab reference. My best friend's nickname is Eddy, mine is Patsy. After yoga class, we like to share a glass of wine or two...

I like to do a salmon tartare with the egg yolk resting on top. Steak/beef is too powerful for the egg, but salmon will allow you to experience both it's flavour and texture beautifully. I always notice an egg in it's entirety when I'm served it on a tartare (or otherwise raw, I'd imagine).